• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF football growing on Tampa Bay fans?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

A BCS berth will change the landscape.

I think we are really really close.

I still think the atmosphere at the stadium isn't great.... But the more people who show up the better it will get I guess.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

Just for the record it took about 25 years for the city of Tampa to really embrace the Bucs.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Oh, sorry we are not Tampa Bay but from Brevard county.

Where in Brevard are you?  I live in eastern Orange County.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Oh, sorry we are not Tampa Bay but from Brevard county.

Where in Brevard are you?  I live in eastern Orange County.

Titusville/Mims.  about a two hour drive to RayJay.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

Just for the record it took about 25 years for the city of Tampa to really embrace the Bucs.  

As,  I recall they embraced the Bucs pretty **** well back in the 1976.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

As,  I recall they embraced the Bucs pretty **** well back in the 1976.

Not really...in the 2nd season they were playing to half empty stadiums.  In fact, many questioned TB getting a team at the time because it wasn't a big enough metro area to be past over by so many other bigger areas, but Culverhouse had some clout.  In fact, some in the area were miffed because city officials forced UT to basically shutdown it's program to make room for the Bucs.  

At the time the TB area was highly working class, and really struggled to maintain the Bucs and Rowdies- yeah the Rowdies (it costed an arm and leg for them to bring in Rodney Marsh).  

Hope Hauling, you were either not around or to little to remember but there was a lot of issue about TB getting the Bucs in 1976- actually awarded in 74.  Obviously we've grown considerably in that time- the city of Tampa has doubled it's population twice in that time- but it wasn't a no-brainer initially, and it wasn't an easy sell (some of the cheapest tixs in the NFL at the time).

To little! ;D  I was an early Charter Subscriber...and as I remember the tickets cost $15....other were $12, and $8.

If the support wasn't there then why did they add an extra home pre-season game....could it have been the fact that the Bucs were able to sell more than other NFL teams and Culverhouse knew how to suck every last dime he could out of the fans.

Tampa was hungry for something to do on Sunday afternoon.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

To little! ;D  I was an early Charter Subscriber...and as I remember the tickets cost $15....other were $12, and $8.

If the support wasn't there then why did they add an extra home pre-season game....could it have been the fact that the Bucs were able to sell more than other NFL teams and Culverhouse knew how to suck every last dime he could out of the fans.

Tampa was hungry for something to do on Sunday afternoon.

Then you should remember...bucs tixs were going for that price when comparable cities were selling them for $5 to $15 more for a comparable city but many feared that Tampa was to small and working class to support the higher tickets which was why the extra games, and exhibition stuff Culverhouse pulled.  Additionally once the team started losing those fans folded into the woodwork, and by 1978 you could pick your seat when you attended a game.  By the middle of 79' when they pulled themselves out of the muck fans hopped back on the bandwagon.

No, I honestly believe it wasn't until around when Dungy arrived, or rather Hugh passed away and new ownership took over and actually put money and time into the team and marketing, did Tampa Bay finally really embrace the Bucs.  Look at this season 4-12 and nearly every seat was still occupied on the final home game- well more like 5/6.  Go back to 1981 when the team starting skidding again and you were lucky to see 25k in attendance.  No one cared, it was an afterthought.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I remember going to the Packers/Bucs game in 1993 and at least 60% of the stadium being Packers fans.

Comparing support for the Bucs and support for the Bulls is a tad different. Whiel UF and FSU are 2 and 4 hours away they have roots firmly planted in Tampa in the form of alumni and general fans.

Pro teams are just easier for some to change alligences on, not to mention the NFL was not near as popular in 1974 as it is today. (Although I wasn't alive, so if you believe I'm wrong let me know).

I remember going to the Packers/Bucs game in 1993 and at least 60% of the stadium being Packers fans.

Comparing support for the Bucs and support for the Bulls is a tad different. Whiel UF and FSU are 2 and 4 hours away they have roots firmly planted in Tampa in the form of alumni and general fans.

Pro teams are just easier for some to change alligences on, not to mention the NFL was not near as popular in 1974 as it is today. (Although I wasn't alive, so if you believe I'm wrong let me know).

Joe, the Bucs were put in the NFC Central Div because the Tampa Bay Area was chock full of people from Green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota, and Detroit...many became Bucs season ticket holders...it wasn't unusual for the guy or gal next to you to change colors from orange to purple, green, blue, etc when their old home team came to Tampa Stadium.

Tailgate parties changed colors from game to game....kinda funny when the group next to you switched from Buc's Orange to Purple when the Vikings were in town then the next week they were decked out in Bucs Orange again and despite the fact that the Bucs had yet to win a game :(...Good times were had by all.  

Professional or college teams, they all have fans roots firmly planted in Tampa Bay... Come fall, I see as many Ohio State banners flying in my neighborhood as I do UF, UM, FSU or USF.

The NFL has was popular back in the day...just not as many teams as there are today and not as much TV and marketing of team gear.

Tell someone oldtimer from Green Bay that the NFL wasn't as popular in the 60's as it is today. ;)