• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt could learn from Urban Meyer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

Urban Meyer is not a builder like Jim Leavitt. Urban said so himself that he was glad Spurrier built UF into a power because he was too old to build a program. Leavitt could have held out for a better job while at K-State, but he choose to take on a building project that not many can do. Look at how Howard is doing with FAU. Look at how Don Strock did with FIU. It is not easy to build a program from scratch in these days, but Leavitt has done that. The media have been pricks to both USF and the Coach Leavitt.  They have failed to give enough respect to USF because they are so up in joy over other things. The only time the media gets a hard on for USF is when players are in trouble off the field because they want to belittle the program. If I were Leavitt, I would have dont the same thing about handling the media. The building of the USF program has been the best thing about Leavitt which makes him a legacy at USF in my opinion. He is always going to be one of the fathers of USF football.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Direct quote from Urban Meyer:

"WAHH WAHH WAHH"

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Ok, I'll admit the Spurrier comparison was a bit weak.  How about Lou Holtz?

I do agree that I wish Leavitt would let is emotion out more, like after the WV game.  He tries to be a bit stone faced.  But he does stand up for his program and the Big East.  In interviews recently, he always remind people we are 2-2 against The Ville and WVU.  

What I don't want to see is the whiny "We don't get respect" card.  Maybe because I see it way too much at work.  Nine times out of ten the whiners are the people that don't work very hard. Give me honest and hard working over whiny any day.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

EDIT: what he can learn from meyer is how to be an excellent game planner you cant look at me seriously and tell me that he didnt exectue a perfect game plan monday in drubbing OSU.  

Last time Leavitt and Meyer went head-to-head, USF had the perfect game plan to stomp #25 Bowling Green like a grape.  So much so that Meyer called Leavitt to ask how he did it.

Don't think Leavitt needs to learn a whole lot from Meyer... Leavitt never called Meyer asking how he beat him.  Sounds like the "champ" wanted to learn something from Leavitt, if you ask me.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Jim Leavitt doesn't need to learn anything from Meyer.  What Leavitt needs is to be able to get the recruits that UF gets.  I am not saying we do not get good players, but when you get the 4/5 stars you have a bit of an advantage.

Aside from that, I wouldn't change JL for any other coach.  He is a perfect fit for USF.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

And if I remember right, after we took Meyer and BGU to the whipping house, he (Meyer) would not shake CJL's hand after the game.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Clearly the best Aww Shucks" coach out there is Bobby Bowden.  He has that down to perfection.  What JL has done at USF is much more compelling then what Meyer has done at UF.  Meyer has done a great job at UF and got them the NC so kudos to him but I see him going to the NFL.  His ego is way to big not to make the next jump.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

Leavitt is smart, he did everything right this year...

when the media(including the oracle) was attacking him and his players before the season, he let USF FOOTBALL shut them the hell up on the field.

Leavitt doesn't care about the media, or what they think of him, the thing that is amazing about leavitt is all he cares about is the next opponent, and he spends hours every week studying that opponent and making his players understand the challenge of beating that opponent.  Leavitt is the reason we beat louisville last year and WVU this year, he makes our players unite as one TEAM and makes them believe in theirselves.

if you ask me, meyer could learn from leavitt...

um actually Meyer's game plan was perfect for OSU on both sides of the ball and his team wasnt given a chance in hell from almost any media outlets and all the experts.  You want to see a team that united under the odds of not being given credit by anyone please see Myers team who most major outlets/experts said was FAR less talented than the UM team that got exposed against USC.  You can hate the gators and their fans all you want but if you watched that game monday night both you and I know that Meyer had a perfect game plan for both sides of the ball.  Also if you watched that Utah Pitt game from a couple years back it was the same thing he had a pefect game plan that created mismatches and led his underdog team to a blow out win.  As long as he doesnt get a big head and try to go the the NFL i think he could be a great college coach.  

Urban's "perfect" ::) game plan...his game plans werent so perfect against Auburn or FSU...

Ohio State played so bad that night that I think even UCF could have beaten them...  ::)

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Lets not forget that Leavitt is one paper away from a Phd in Psychology. I trust the man knows how to politic.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Leavitt and Meyer are different people with different personalities. You cant expect anyone to act like another person if that's not how they are.

Besides, as someone said earlier in this post, Meyer is arrogant and whiny.