• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt could learn from Urban Meyer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think the point was the way he handled the media not the actual on field coaching. Just another example where everyone on this site gets the inferiority complex when UF or FSU is compared to something at this school.

The way Meyer handled the media after winning the SEC title game was perfect, you may call it whining, but had he not done that there probably would have been a rematch. The day that USF is in that position I hope to hell Leavitt (or whoever our coach is) comes out and gives our side.

After all of that Meyer could have shown up and barely won the game. Instead he left NO doubt in anyone's mind that UF was the number 1 team in the country, backing up the statements he made.

This wasn't a discussion about who was the better coach and how the tactics could be employed. This was a discussion of how Meyer handled the media v. how Leavitt handled the media. It was bad early in this season.

Stay on topic people and quite comparing Meyer's Coaching with Leavitt, I really don't believe many on here would trade coaches...Least I hope not.

i would trade leavitt for meyer in a new york minute

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

What can he learn from Urban? How to cherry pick his way from one team to another? Using the prior coaches recruiting efforts at each new school and then moving on when his classes arent quite up to par? Sounds like a locust to me.

a few things leavitt can learn from meyer

1. win

2.build a program into a power

3.talk to the media

4.act like a stable person

5.win big games

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

and bolt for the NFL. It wont be long before you see the Great Urban leaving UF for the NFL

I guess beating ranked WV and UL in past two years dont qualify as big wins.

Leavitt started a program from scratch and has them looking at top 25 in 10 years. In 10 years Urban bolts from BG to Utah to UF see him fly the coop soon enough

Guest r_to_the_izzo
What can he learn from Urban? How to cherry pick his way from one team to another? Using the prior coaches recruiting efforts at each new school and then moving on when his classes arent quite up to par? Sounds like a locust to me.

1. win

3.talk to the media

5.win big games

You really need to get out of your cardboard box more smazz.

Meyer has never built ****. He doesnt build programs, is he a hell of a gameplanner? Yes. But he doesnt build programs. He uses the prior coaches recuits.

Who the hell needs a coach that talks to the media? He is a personality. People with the intergrity of lawyers, kinda like yourself, where calling out HIS integrity because ofa few problems, all he did was shut up the motuhhs like you by going 9-4 plus the first bowl win in programs history. You need to wake up spazz.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1. win

3.talk to the media

5.win big games

You really need to get out of your cardboard box more smazz.

Meyer has never built ****. He doesnt build programs, is he a hell of a gameplanner? Yes. But he doesnt build programs. He uses the prior coaches recuits.

Who the hell needs a coach that talks to the media? He is a personality. People with the intergrity of lawyers, kinda like yourself, where calling out HIS integrity because ofa few problems, all he did was shut up the motuhhs like you by going 9-4 plus the first bowl win in programs history. You need to wake up spazz.

Yeah CJL is perfect for us and is in it for the long haul here.  I think meyer is a hell of a coach and a great recruiter but his track record does indicate that his stay in Gainesville will be a short one.  I dont think his system will work in the NFL and he is too rah rah for professional athletes.  But like all young and talented coaches he will want to take his game to the next level to see how he matches up against the big boys.  

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

I think this post started out with a good topic and as usual has morphed into something else. CJL and USF need the media and shutting them down makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe USF has beaten Lville and WVU but USF has also lost to Cincy and UCONN.

USF is making its own way on the field and their have been more success stories this year then ever before but you would never know it if you read the papers. So few articles compared to what the other state schools received, that it has to hurt USF's recruiting.  We can debate CJL's decision all day long but something has to change because USF needs help getting the word out about the program.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I think this post started out with a good topic and as usual has morphed into something else. CJL and USF need the media and shutting them down makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe USF has beaten Lville and WVU but USF has also lost to Cincy and UCONN.

USF is making its own way on the field and their have been more success stories this year then ever before but you would never know it if you read the papers. So few articles compared to what the other state schools received, that it has to hurt USF's recruiting.  We can debate CJL's decision all day long but something has to change because USF needs help getting the word out about the program.

Uh, the typical misnomer.  No one has shutdown the media the past two months.  All the assistants have been accessible and Leavitt has allowed full access.  The lack of media sometimes isn't Jim's fault all the time, often it's the media's apathy toward USF.  Some media personalities deserve to shoulder as much, if not more, of the responsibility.  It's easy when you're Urban Meyer when you've got about 40-50 state papers that have beat writers who wait with baited breath over every word you utter.  Not even fair to compare the two given the fact Urban shut off the media twice this year, pre-season and before the bowl- but it didn't stop most writers from giving their reads what they want, ANY GATOR.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Ya'll, chill about the media blackout from last year.  It was a reaction to the Trib reporter, who I will refer to as BM (pun intended) from this point onward, pretty much betraying the trust / inside access Leavitt gave him.  This was in direct retaliation to the St. Pete Times sponsorship of the school.  I am NOT talking about the failed drug test story, but the 3-4 bull**** articles he wrote before that (see Amarri Jackson stories, and QB battle stories).  It's hard when the hometown paper is constantly stirring up the pot against you.  

I bet we won't see the same press fiasco as Leavitt has learned his lessons and will keep BM a little bit further than arms length from here out.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Urban may agree with wanting a playoff, but he was screaming for one BEFORE the Gators got the invite...  it ABSOLUTELY dominated his interviews.  Yeah, he may have mentioned it (when asked) in a few interviews, but it ain't like the week before the BCS selection show.

So Joe, why so quick to defend Urban and the Gators?  You're pretty quick to jump on the SEC bandwagon too... might you be one of those that wears a UF tee on campus?  

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I personally thought that CJL did a stellar job with the media this go around.  As we get better, he'll deal with it even better.  He cut off their traction on bashing USF student/athletes and yielded when it benefited USF most.   Textbook reparte'. and very commendable.  If he wasn't so hyper, I would say he could be a great color commentator ::)