• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Pete Times... "THE BULLS PAPER"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

In the immortal words... ********! Did anyone else see the front page of the sports section? Yhis is totally unacceptable for a paper that has it's bread and butter as the newspaper for Bulls Sports! Our SID department took one up the pooper by choosing this. How can apaper whose contract with USF go and put other teams on the spotlight? No respect at all. I guess they are following leads that the Gayturd Tribune follows. I feel sorry for Greg and Brett, because they do a fine job. But their editors leave something in the road concerning bias. I guess that is what Gayturd SID $$$ pays for.    The Reaper

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

USF should have been Front Page Above the Fold !

How was USF placed ?

Thank You Brett & Greg for ALL you do ... great coverage.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

USF WAS on the front page of the MAIN PAGE of the times... equal "teaser" billing with FSU and UF.

Inside, the Gators got the HUGE headlines, but USF was the story at the very top of the page, above the fold, and above the HUGE Gators headline.

I'm not really mad about this.  It's not like they stuck the story on page 6x.  It's front page of Sports above the fold.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

USF is the top headline but with a smaller picture and smaller printed headline then UF.

when you see the paper the first thing you notice is the UF write up

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

it should be USF Headline in huge print and the gayturd headline in smaller print, being that they have a contract with us and are a local paper.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

I agree, but we will just have to consistently beat the other Florida teams in OOC play and in bowls.  Then they will have no choice.  And I would put the team we fielded yesterday up against anyone.  Look out next year!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  245

Listen, folks, as someone who has worked in the newspaper business I'll try to explain a few things to you.

First off, just because the St. Pete Times chooses to advertise and be a sponsor at USF events, has absolutely NOTHING to do with editorial decisions. Those sections of the paper are completely different and one does not EVER infulence the other.

Second, let's be realistic. Florida-Florida State is simply a bigger news story in the state than USF's win over West Virginia. Granted, the USF win is big news it was NOT the game everyone in the state is talking about today.

I haven't seen the paper, but based on what I'm reading on this thread I'm in complete agreement with how they decided to play USF at the top of the page with a secondary headline.

Maybe one day USF-West Virginia will take top billing when going up against Florida-Florida State... but that's a long ways away.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

I don't buy any excuses, I don't think anybody would call the SPT outraged and with the intent to cancel their subscription because the Gators were not in the front page.  Most Gator/Nole fans would understand that this is Tampa and that USF's game should take the bulk of the front page.  And I'm tire of the "just win" excuse too.  If our biggest win doesn't make it to the front cover then constantly winning big games is not going to cut it either, they'll just be another win, no news.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I blame Greg Aumun. He utilized his UF influence to bump our story under the Gator story. Too bad they didn't have the KU beats UF in hoops as the headline. Too me, that is a headline I would love to read. Oh, 2010 can't come soon enough!

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  117

USF WAS on the front page of the MAIN PAGE of the times... equal "teaser" billing with FSU and UF.

Inside, the Gators got the HUGE headlines, but USF was the story at the very top of the page, above the fold, and above the HUGE Gators headline.

I'm not really mad about this.  It's not like they stuck the story on page 6x.  It's front page of Sports above the fold.

Is that the Trib you are talking about?  In the SPT, the Gators have 2/3 of the front page of the sports section, with USF on the lower 1/3 with a headline about 1/3 the size of UF's.  Pretty sad if you ask me.