• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Pete Times... "THE BULLS PAPER"

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

1. USF is in Tampa, not St. Petersburg.  So the Times can not be the "hometown" paper.

(To reach a staff member, please call one of our main numbers.)

Well...since its the TIMES that PAYS $$$$ for the title of "Official Newspaper of USF Athletics"...they are at least your "home-team" paper.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I admire all your efforts promoting USF guys. Yesterday, while wearing my Bulls jersey, I hit many bars and pointed out the highlights of the game everytime they played them on television. Matter of fact, there are probably about 30 strippers that now know about USF in Arizona. The loyalty they showed USF for some dollars was impressive. Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  184

SPTimes Coverage:  Equal teasers for UF/FSU and WVU/USF on front page, main section.  UF/FSU takes top 3/4 of sports section front page (above the fold).  USF/WVU takes bottom 1/4 of sports section front page (below the fold).  UF/FSU story is covered on pages 8 and 9 in a full color, spread even taking up the fold space in the middle of the paper.  USF/WVU is a black and white full page story on page 3c.

Tribune coverage:  Sports teasers on main page.  USF/WVU has a larger bold teaser.  UF/FSU and USC/Notre Dame have smaller font teasers.  USF/WVU take the top 1/3 of the college bonus front page (above the fold).  UF/FSU takes nearly the bottom 2/3rds with USC/Notre Dame mixed in (also above the fold).  UF/FSU has larger type on the college bonus section.  USF/WVU has one page of black and white coverage.  UF/FSU has 2 pages of black and white coverage.

I obviously take both papers at my home.   :D  

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  152

I think Greg does a great job covering the bulls.  I doubt he controls the place of the headlines and what page the stories go on.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Look, the SP Times is full of UF grads...maybe in a few more years when a new crowd moves into those offices, they will show a little more love for USF.

And, I disagree that more people care about UF-FSU. All I saw on the web yesterday was USF upsetting the #7 team in the country. Then I flip over to sptimes.com and the big news is UF. I think the "little world" you speak of is really the other way around.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486

I JUST SWITCHED TO THE TIMES A FEW WEEKS AGO WITH THAT 32.99 DEAL AND I MUST SAY I WAS DISAPOINTED WITH THE FRONT PAGE.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Second, let's be realistic. Florida-Florida State is simply a bigger news story in the state than USF's win over West Virginia. ...

But this is a Tampa/St. Pete paper ... but still think our WIN was bigger than a #4 UF team barely beating a 6-5 FSU team 21-14  :P

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

what is up is up with Bretts Blog ?  Biggest win in USF history and his blog update is about his contest ?  i like Brett but that was weak.

That struck me as odd also.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

And, I disagree that more people care about UF-FSU. All I saw on the web yesterday was USF upsetting the #7 team in the country. Then I flip over to sptimes.com and the big news is UF. I think the "little world" you speak of is really the other way around.

How true...national headlines everywhere (online at least)...hardly a local headline in the Tampa Bay Area.

It's a shame.  We should expect demand more.