• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Pete Times... "THE BULLS PAPER"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I blame Greg Aumun. He utilized his UF influence to bump our story under the Gator story. Too bad they didn't have the KU beats UF in hoops as the headline. Too me, that is a headline I would love to read. Oh, 2010 can't come soon enough!

Greg doesn't control placement of stories.  His coverage is fine.  The issue is with editors.  They work with the page designers.  It's clear they had their page done early and were not willing to change it.

The only thing they can do to save face at this time is to print a public apology as to why they failed the locals in covering local sports and "editorializing" it's significance.  Those same editors should then have to post a personal apology on this board.  Until that time, I hope all bullspen members and anyone else they can convince cancel their subscriptions.  It's the only way to communicate with them.  If you write a letter to the editor, you end up being the victim.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Listen, folks, as someone who has worked in the newspaper business I'll try to explain a few things to you.

First off, just because the St. Pete Times chooses to advertise and be a sponsor at USF events, has absolutely NOTHING to do with editorial decisions. Those sections of the paper are completely different and one does not EVER infulence the other.

Second, let's be realistic. Florida-Florida State is simply a bigger news story in the state than USF's win over West Virginia. Granted, the USF win is big news it was NOT the game everyone in the state is talking about today.

I haven't seen the paper, but based on what I'm reading on this thread I'm in complete agreement with how they decided to play USF at the top of the page with a secondary headline.

Maybe one day USF-West Virginia will take top billing when going up against Florida-Florida State... but that's a long ways away.

So....the 4th best team in the nation beats a 6-6 team(by 7 points) and it warrants TWICE as much coverage as the HOMETOWN 8-4 team beating the 7th best team in the nation on the road?!

Yeah, that makes sense...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

what is up is up with Bretts Blog ?  Biggest win in USF history and his blog update is about his contest ?  i like Brett but that was weak.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  245

Take off your green and gold colored glasses folks... outside of our little world a ton more people care about Florida-Florida State than USF-West Virginia.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The Gators are responsible for the death of Jesus Christ... or at least when I have kids, that's what I'll teach them growing up.

Santa Claus was shot by a Gator... as was JFK, and the Easter Bunny. Am I missing out on anything?

Blame Greg Aumun.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

la times even had a nice ap piece in paper with bulls in sub headline

1. USF is in Tampa, not St. Petersburg.  So the times can not be the "hometown" paper.

2. Very rarely to large metropolitan newspapers consider anything Hometown.  They print to their readership -- since there are more Florida and Florida State fans here than USF fans, the UF-FSU game gets more coverage.  Plain and simple.

3. It is not the job of newspapers to build USF's fan base.  It is up to USF and we, the fans, to build the fan base.  Inviting friends to games and watch parties.  Winning games on the field.

Finally, if you have a problem with the coverage -- why piss and moan here where the only "media" readers are the reporters who A) do a great job and B) have no control over the problem you have anyway.

St. Pete Times: sports@sptimes.com

Trib: (813) 259-7600

(To reach a staff member, please call one of our main numbers.)

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

1. USF is in Tampa, not St. Petersburg.  So the times can not be the "hometown" paper.

What happened to our satellite campus over there? Did it break off from USF and became New College - St Pete?  :o

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

I have to agree that USF is also St. Petersburg and we as Pinellas County Alumni are doing all we can to build USF up! USF belongs to the Tampa Bay area and we ALL should do everything we can to support it with our gifts, service and attendance! :)