• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Relatively obscure USF gets to pick..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  161
  • Days Won:  0

its Bowl game if we beat UL and WV. The media will be all over the "Freshman Sensation". This is not exacly a hot national champion situation. No USC v. Texas w/ the Heisman v. Runner up. I just don't see the excitement this year. The media is very sensitive to whether there's enough excitement, anticipation etc to = $revenue. They are always looking for new angles. For example, an Ohio St. v. Michigan NC. Never happened in past 100 years until now.

If they(the people who make $ from Bowls)  can tout an unknown freshman sensation from an unknown school, a kind of David & Goliath angle- we will have more than 1 or 2 bowls knocking at our door.

Our relative obscurity could actually be in our favor in the right situation. Comments?

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Nice thoughts, but I disagree. Bowls don't like unknown schools. They like big schools that bring lots of fans. It's a problem USF will continue to battle. Grothe's a good story, but the bowls are going to pick the team they think will bring the biggest crowd and generate the most interest and revenue for their game and their sponsors.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Here's USF:  This is UL:

2gunsfiring_v1.gifboom.gif

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642

before we talk about picking a bowl to go to, let's worry about not getting our butts kicked by ul and wv

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know we as a fan base are excited by Grothe and his prospects for this team in the future. However, I don't think the media has bought into the excitement like we have.

Touting Grothe would be big for a regular season Thursday Night game on ESPN or something similar. However, as Greg said, no bowl is going to bank their profits and ratings on a very good Freshman QB not named Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow (pointing out that those two get the hype because they play on teams that have big followings and usually get solid ratings on TV)

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125

Even if we win out the Bowls will get to choose their teams in the prescribed order.  USF's reputation for not filling the stadium and not traveling well last year will work against us.  It is unfortunate because we have a team that could beat a lot of the big conference teams, but we will probably be relegated to play a Southern Miss or Central Michigan.  Too bad, we could have done some damage against a SEC, Big 10, PAC-10 or Big 12 team!  I would have loved to see us play a SEC or PAC-10 team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

regardless of what happens, I think we are headed to the Birmingham Bowl

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

regardless of what happens, I think we are headed to the Birmingham Bowl

Most likely, but a win in the next two games could still land us somewhere else.   In any case back to back bowl appearances is pretty sweet.     8-)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

...but the bowls are going to pick the team they think will bring the biggest crowd and generate the most interest and revenue for their game and their sponsors.

And that, boys, is where the rubber meets the road. Once you get past the obligatory invites, everything else comes down to Chamber of Commerce type thinking.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

yea its gonna be b-ham.  no way texas takes us over who they have left over between rutgers, louisville, and wv.