• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Matt Grothe the best quarterback in Florida?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

The numbers don't lie:

Total Yards                 Total TDs

Leak                                 2145                                    20

Grothe                              2062                                    20

Leak is the best QB in Florida right now, but not by much.  Tough games ahead of both QBs late in the season will be the deciding factor IMO.

Leak still has to go to FSU, who will be looking to save their season.  He also has to play a very good Arkansas team in the SEC championship game.

And as we all know Grothe has to go to The Ville and to WV to end the season.

So ask me again in three weeks and I might change my mind.

hum...stats don't lie, but your stats do.

Total Yards                 Total TDs

Leak                                 2145                              20

Grothe                              2557                              20

you forgot to add the rushing yards to grothe's.  advantage:  grothe.

but keep in mind that Leak does face tougher defenses throughout the year and splits some time with tebow (which doesnt mean much since they are just taking away from RB carries).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

What about turnovers?

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

same number of INTs, espn doesnt show fumbles lost, maybe another website does.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

We have a real gem in Matt. By his senior year, Matt will get Jimbo a substantial contract extension. Will Rod Smith though improve as much as Matt does in the next four years? And furthermore, will we utilize Matt's success to pull five star recruits?

Flipflop... congrats. The success of USF football for the coming decade is saddled in your boy's lap. I take back any comment saying Carlton Hill was the front runner. Your boy has made me a bulliever that by our senior year, we will play an important part in the National Championship race. Thanks to you and the Mrs. Flipflop for giving us a truly stellar QB. FWIW, when he didn't go down after that near sack, I realized how special the kid is.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Just like the ratings say.

Leak then Grothe (Tebow doesn't have enough real playing time to count.)

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe is hands down the most exciting QB to watch in the state of Florida. Leak is ok, but I dont think he does enough with his legs to hang with Grothe. Tebow is a good runner, but he has struggled at the passing game when given his chance. I wouldnt trade Grothe for any QB in the nation right now, not even Ohio St's Troy Smith.

You wouldnt trade him for troy smith? LOL thats funny.  You are part of the .00001% in the country on that one.  I hate this phrase but take the green n gold shades off my friend.  

I would say leak, grothe then tebow.  Next year it will be close vs tebow and grothe.  The only thing i like more about tebow is he can run around and through you.  But either one of them would work to head a successful football team, now just fill in the blanks around mg and you have a future.  

Herm, I live in Ohio and see Troy play every week.  I have also seen Grothe play just about every game this year.  Hands down, I take Grothe.  His decision making is superior and his accuracy is superior.  Smith is a little more explosive as a runner but that is about it.  Take off the negative glasses and realize that we have one of the best QB's in the nation at this point.  Like Sherrif, I believe that Grothe will lead us to have a part in what happens regarding the NC game in a couple of years.  Get with the program dude.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Isn't Grothe the only eligible candidate this year for "Best QB in FLA?"

Even if he had a so-so year...he would win going away.

KL

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

MG is one of the best things to happen to USF football in the last five years.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ohio, I gotta disagree, I too live in Ohio and am surrounded by idiot Buckeye fans. I hate them more than any other group of fans in the country.

However, take the Green and Gold googles off and recognize that Troy Smith not only has superior numbers, but is also the QB for the number 1 team in the country. Yes, he has better talent around him, but he's also only lost 2 games as the starting QB and tougher teams. Troy Smith has thrown 11 Ints in his 3 year career and been sacked only a few times (he does have legs)

Would I trade Grothe for Smith? NO. But I also wouldn't go running down the street proclaiming Grothe to be better than the guy who will probably win the Heisman (even though it should go to Brady Quinn)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Sadly we will never see Grothe vs Tebow.  It will be missed by one season.