• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett McMurphy is owed an

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Now many of us are praying for 6-6.

You seem relegated to think that will occur.

Still plenty fo football left to be played.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

FACT:

Never apologize to a journalist for any reason.  They are just doing their job and have thick enough skin to take or dish critcism.  If there is a market for the negative or the positive, it will get written.  They are selling newspapers in a free market against competitors.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i would like to think of BM as more than just a journalist

he is a friend of usf

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379

Bret is still calling us the "New Big East". Screw him. Were in the BIG EAST. The ACC isnt the "old acc" nor it conference USA the "New Conference USA".

Its BIG EAST.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Journalists can never get away from adding useless adjectives.  I think its taught in their 101 class... ;)

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

I do not understand this hostility towards Brett.  He has always reported an objective viewpoint about USF, which is all anyone can ask from any reporter for any subject matter.

If he really hated USF, then why would he become the USF beat writer for the Tribune?  I am sure that if he wanted to perform other sportswriter duties, that the Tribune could find some rookie journalist to do the job.

He has answered every question that I have sent him via email or posted on his blog.  He seems pretty accommodating towards us fans; how many reporters would even field questions from fans?  

He is also running that picks contest on his blog and the winners get a USF oriented prize.   I guess he really has an agenda against USF, right?

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

I personally have no problem with him.  He's a sports writer so he has to make predictions.  He made a prediction that may come true.  If people were railing on him then, it's only because they hope that USF will do better than 6-6, which I and they probably still do.  I havent read his stuff that long, but he seems like a nice guy to me.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379

I do not understand this hostility towards Brett.  He has always reported an objective viewpoint about USF, which is all anyone can ask from any reporter for any subject matter.

If he really hated USF, then why would he become the USF beat writer for the Tribune?  I am sure that if he wanted to perform other sportswriter duties, that the Tribune could find some rookie journalist to do the job.

He has answered every question that I have sent him via email or posted on his blog.  He seems pretty accommodating towards us fans; how many reporters would even field questions from fans?  

He is also running that picks contest on his blog and the winners get a USF oriented prize.   I guess he really has an agenda against USF, right?

His picks contest is for one reason and one reason only, to drive traffic to the Tribs web page. Apart from his picks contest there wasnt much information being put up on his blog. It's kinda like tying the porkchop around your next so the dog will play with you.......

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Do we deserve an apology for the negativity that he puts into his articles about USF?   :-?

What? Are you kidding? The reason I hate the Tribune is because of the unethical cocksocking so many of their reporters do behind the scenes of their beats, something McMurphy is a very good example of.

smazza chimed in with:

"i would like to think of BM as more than just a journalist

he is a friend of usf"

Which pretty much makes him not a journalist. Not a good one, anyway.

And from someone else:

"If he really hated USF, then why would he become the USF beat writer for the Tribune?  I am sure that if he wanted to perform other sportswriter duties, that the Tribune could find some rookie journalist to do the job."

... because it beats covering high school football maybe? A rookie can't do this job; this is a 1A football program you're talking about. There are people way below McMurphy on the ladder who would kill for his job. And he does a good job covering the university, if you overlook his ethics compromises.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557

i would like to think of BM as more than just a journalist

he is a friend of usf

I'm sure in many ways he is.  His beat is the local team in the hometown rag, but please.  He is no more loyal to USF than any other school and I hope that is the case.  I mean you can sympatize and connect with what you are covering, but you don't want to become the story.  he is a journalist.