• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt's 2-Minute Drill Irks Media

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

I'm glad I didn't drive over for the media luncheon. Sounds like it was pretty much a blur.

I don't know how I feel about the issue. While it is important to have a good relationship with the media, is there anything all that new to know about the Bulls at this particular time? The QB battle continues-- who knows how that will shake out exactly. I get the impression that the performance in games 1 & 2 will determine our direction there.

It sounds like a pretty large turnout that ended quick. And that has now become the story. Perhaps CJL just thought the meeting that day was not necessary in comparison to getting the team prepared. Trust me-- I have yet to see anyone in this program loaf around at any time. They are working their asses off-- coaches, players, assistants-- you name it. If we kick ass all year long, no one will remember this brief event. As in all things, we simply need to trust the CJL will find a way to make it work. His main job is winning football games-- period.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Reporters tend to dislike coaches who don't tell them every last thing they want to know. See also: Parcells, Bill.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

Is this a set weekly press conference or was it called for a special purpose?  Either way, the team works too hard and the fans care too much about growing the program for CJL to act in this manner in a public forum.  Sorry, but it was the totally wrong thing to do.  If DW knew CJL was not going to participate in the proper fashion, they should have cancelled and just issued a statement as a professional courtesy to the reporters.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It's not the not telling everything the coach knows, a coach shouldn't have to do that.

However, you can't ignore questions about a QB controversy by answering

"Uh, unsure. Unsure."

If you don't want to answer dance around it by talking about how well both have played, etc.

What really really upset me about this is the fact that guys like E.T. have spent time emailing and asking the Lakeland Ledger for coverage on the Bulls. It's not like Zier was trying to elicit some crazy story from Leavitt. Zier has written a couple stories about the QB situation over the last 3 -4 weeks.

I know CJL is a great coach and works his ASS off for USF.  If he didn't feel like doint the press conference than make it another day, etc. That's understandable, some people have a lot on their plate and don't feel like answering questions from reporters.

You cannot however, blackout practice, then do this. The whole situation is just upsetting.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

this was a scheduled press conference...they will be every Tuesday (save perhaps on some bye weeks) through the end of the regular season.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

I have talked to a friend of mine who is a local network reporter and has said that CJL is not very media friendly which is why they don't do more coverage than they could.  I believe he does not need to "tell all" to reporters but I do think he needs to be a little more "media friendly" to the local news reporters.

As far as the suspensions story, I think this is growing pains for the program.  Bad things are going to happen to student athletes on the football team and they are going to be reported and they will make USF look bad.  As long as we win, the stories will be part of the history of the team.  But I don't think anyone was out of order doing a story about it.  If there was some sort of sneakiness the way the info was obtained or if there was bad info in the story then I don't agree with that.  We are always ******** about not knowing what is going on like we deserve to know all the secrets of athletics and yet when this happens, some/most of you don't know what to know, "keep it in-house."  

This is minor.  Although I don't condone a student-failing a drug test, I am guessing it is only pot and they are just dumb for doing it again after the first fail.  ( I am only guessing since this seems to be the drug of choice at USF).  There are a lot of professions and positions in life that are under the spotlight more than others and when they caught, it is a story.  Like it or not.  Anything that happens within USF athletics will most like be a story.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

I stand behind CJL. If he is concerned about getting it done right, then leave him alone. Sometimes the media ask the same questions over and over. (Sorry Greg and Brett). CJL wants to get it done. Wait like the rest of us to find out who the starters are. I know the whole idea is to break the story first. But just wait, we on the board will get you the scoops first, as we are the lifeline close to the sources!!!  ;) So hang in there guys, and GO BULLS!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

he could dance around the question and give the reporters something to write about.

But last time he did that, the reporter assumed various things about what was said (Grothe is the starter-- that one). SO maybe he was a little pissed about that. But when he says "Unsure" -- he is giving an answer and it may even be the honest truth. Why force yourself to pick before the 1-AA warm-up game anyway? If anything- that first game is like a pre-season contest. He can use it to evaluate performance and consider what his choices are. SO I can see why he was a little tight lipped, a little abrasive, and a little short with the media. He can't make them run laps-- but he sure as hell can take control of how much they get from him.

Also-- the media isn't completely blacked out of practice. They get the first 1/2 hour to watch and have other chances to request interviews etc.

I think we should just chalk this up to a bad day and let it go personally.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

I think cjl and the usf sid need to do a better job in dealing with the media.  We want and have always wanted, even begged for coverage, and now that they are showing up, we pull crap like this.  I know someone who does a sports talk show out of gville/ocala that is broadcast on 6 fl stations and late in 2005 he was going to devote an entire show to usf, but didnt even get a phone call back from the sid to arrange some sounds bites and q&a's.    Obviously he didnt devote the show to usf.   He was very unimpressed with the class of the dept. as compared to other schools he has dealt with.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Also-- the media isn't completely blacked out of practice. They get the first 1/2 hour to watch and have other chances to request interviews etc.

Not any more Mike...(maybe I did not forward email to you), but all practices are closed - period.  But there is still access available although on a more limited basis.  BTW, I don't have any problem with closing practices at this point in the fall.

August 28, 2006

Effective today, the following media policies are in place for the USF Football program.

All practices are closed. Coach Leavitt will be available for interviews at the conclusion of each practice. The general practice schedule will be Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m. and Tuesday through Thursday from 4 to 6:15 p.m.

Players will be available for interviews only at the Tuesday luncheons and following games. Assistant coaches will not be available for interviews...all coaching questions should be addressed to Coach Leavitt.