• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wow! Matt Simms, son of Phil, brother of Chris...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

My comments on a thread should show no more significance of the issue than usual.

I agree with you in saying his signing would create a buzz.  However, he is not one of the TOP guys in this recruiting class so it wouldn't be THAT big other than his name.

Joe, IMO, was simply suggesting to people that this kid signing with USF was not going to magically make 5 star players come to USF.

No where did Joe say 5 star players, nor did I contend that he would bring in 5 star players, but yes taking Phil Simms kid away from the likes of UL, Gtech, Virginia, BC, Arizona, Iowa, USC, UNC, Rutgers, and a number of other big time offers would be a very fine feather in our cap and would get mucho play in the media.

From that point it's pure speculation (the exact words I used earlier) on what level of buzz his signing, or commitment  would bring.  Some would say it could bring bigger names into the fold, clearly a distinct argument could be made to that effect if Matt committed early enough, Joe says none would occur and an argument could be made to that situation as well.  For now it's all speculation.  However, Matt is rising up the charts fast, and Joe's assertion he isn't among the nation's elite is definitely pre-mature, I can name guys that went to the Army All-American game (which incidentally has only been going on for four years and means virtually nothing) who were not even blips on the radar screen and as of right now Matt's more than an blip.  He's on the cusp of the top 100 and many people are waiting to see his senior year to decide how much is hype and how much is legit.  Remember he's already beaten some of Chris' records but he's smaller, built more like his dad, so despite the bloodlines he's going to carry that type of weight.

Further, I was going after Joe's post because he started to condemn the staff for pursuing matt, and ignoring others.  Further feeling that it was all for not, and that Phil's involvement should be read into.  However the real facts are the complete opposite.  

Again, we're all speculating but the Simms sought USF and Jim out, albeit Jim was planning on pursuing him at least cursory.  His initial presumption was this kid was to bigtime for his time.  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

i'd like either voss or marve, if voss is our number one prospect we sure aren't acting like it. i know somewhere it was said that if voss committed leavitt would stop recruiting qb's, but another article i read quoted voss saying usf has cooled a bit (it was around the time west va started picking up more interest). why i have no f'ing idea, reality is we're not miami and we can't afford to slow play very good local recruits like voss or marve who show an eagerness to stay home and help build usf. i'm with you in that i hope this simms ordeal doesn't become a wild goose chase like daron rose became last year, but on the other hand if simms commits it will give us some national exposure and a nice story since chris starts for the bucs. the fact that phil and chris visited again yesterday was very good news.   

You all have to understand something Voss and Marve are not polished QB's.  In fact, I've wondered what all the hub-bub is about Marve. I've seen him play in his HS career, a nice physical athlete with good bloodlines but not polished, easily rattled, and very raw.  The kid needs to start showing some consistency before jumping up and down about him.  As of today Matt Simms is worlds ahead.

Voss is my personal fav, but his arm is still being scrutinized and in HS he had a tendency to run more than pass, basically it's still difficult to evaluate him as a passer.  Although I do like his raw skills for our CURRENT offensive system, but he is also raw and would need work.  

This is very, very early in the recruiting process for people to jump on to many bandwagons just yet.  The staff is still in their evaluation period so you never know when another bigger name may step out of the shadows and show USF more love.

It might be prophetic to mention that our staff seems to be honing in more on pro-style QB's this year....Weatherford, Simms...something to consider, maybe realizing they're having to much trouble finding athletic QB's that are truly adept at running their spread.

By the way, Daron Rose was not a wild goose chase?  What would you have us do tell the likes of Rose who wanted to visit---"no thanks we know you'll sign elsewhere".  Yet some of you want us to have a tougher schedule and be bigtime...you've got to sign bigtime players to play bigtime BCS.  Coaches pursue kids where there is MUTUAL interest.  You can't ask them to do more, and they can't find out until they inquire, and you'd hope for the sake of the program they wouldn't pysche themselves out of all the big names.

As of today Simms and Garcia are both giving us play and clearly the best Qb's looking at us however simms, not Garcia, is more interested.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

I hope we go after as many as we can. Our history of landing QBs is NO good enough so i would not be too happy if we were putting all our eggs in one basket.

If Simms comes we would get good press and a good potential QB. The more of them we get the beter shot at one panning out.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

who the heck said anything about bringing in 5 star players? getting sims will put us in better position to get some quality players from new jersey and help build inroads into that state. however even if we get simms i doubt he starts immediately next year. unlike most years, we will have the luxury of grooming him at qb even if he is a highly touted recruit. he'll be a huge get but he's not expected to come in right away and change the face of our program. same with voss or marve they'll most likely learn under grothe or hill.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl too does that make him better than Peyton Manning, and Dan Marino?

My intent by this was to say that having Carson Palmer's brother on your team was not going to sway as many recruits as having the son of Phil Simms because that would garner National Attention.

Also I agree that Carson Palmer is a better QB.  Simms stats are average in most games.  For instance, In week 6 Simms was 6-10 for 69 yds in a 27-13 victory over the Miami Dolphins.  Not awe-inspiring stats, but yes the big W over the fish.

fair enough about rose and i don't fault the staff for recruiting him, recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. but we have been burned trying to get a big name player while neglecting a more plausible recruit, getting burned by cornelius ingram at the last minute hurt more because we couldn't get a capable plan b qb, even though guys like dt mcdowell showed interest in our program. do i think it will happen this year, no, but since there is no college football on tv it is fun to speculate.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

For instance, In week 6 Simms was 6-10 for 69 yds in a 27-13 victory over the Miami Dolphins.  Not awe-inspiring stats, but yes the big W over the fish.

He obviously played down to the level of the competition .....

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Guys who can  qualify academically.

Class of 2006 Achievements

2 National Merit Scholarship Finalists

14 National Merit Commended Scholars

1 National Merit Achievement Scholarship Award Winners

6 Edward J. Bloustein Distinguished Scholars

SAT Scores – combined mean – for the top 10% of graduating class – 2174

SAT Scores – combined mean – 1685

Members of the Class of 2006 were awarded over $13.5 million in scholarships, grants, and financial aid.

Class of 2005 Achievements

1 Presidential Scholar Candidate

4 National Merit Finalists

16 National Merit Commended Scholars

2 National Hispanic Recognition Program Award Winners

1 Roberrt C. Byrd Honors Scholar

27 Advanced Placement Scholars

11 Edward J. Bloustein Distinguished Scholars

32 National Honor Society Members

SAT Scores – combined mean – for the top 10% of graduating class = 1478

SAT Scores – combined mean – 1155

Over $12.3 million in scholarships, grants and financial aid from colleges and universities

why the huge difference in sat scores fron 2005 to 2006?

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

I wonder if Ronnie Banks has a brother?

also sbien i don't respond to many of your posts but i read a lot of them because they are insightful and you know what you are talking about. but even you have to admit you overestimate our chances of landing some of these players, there's a whole slew of a-list prospects that you would pump up as being legitamite gets or heavy usf leans only to see us not get them, ingram, schaeffer, james, rose, bryant miller, darin baldwin, etc. the list goes on and on and i'm sure we'll be adding stephen garcia to that list as well. you're wrong more times than right, so forgive me if i treat your comments with guarded optimism. some of us, like joe, are more realistic and believe we can put some pretty darn good teams recruiting florida and getting a good mix of 3 star players and diamonds in the rough with an occasional 4 star type player. we start having some success like a va tech or k-state and regularly beat bcs teams like unc and kansas this year, than we'll be in a better position to bring in the nationally recruited players like rose or garcia. until than we'll be a fallback option for those type of players which is okay for now considering the newness of our program.