• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Homecoming game vs Pitt on TV

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

to quote what I said in another thread

Once again, big time football is where everyone wants to be, yet many are not willing to accept what comes along with the territory.  

One of the biggest factors in ANY big program is that they don't know many of their kickoff times until 10 days before the games, and they are usually day games. TV controls big time college football, and that is a reality that many are going to have to accept if they want USF to be included in the equation.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

sheriff, you forget that the last time pitt came to usf the game was played during the day at like 11 or 12:30 start, and we all know how that turned out, with a loss and a ton of pitt fans taking over the student section before the game started, as well as the student section being rather empty.  noon games suck and if usf wants a big showing at its homecoming, it will keep the game at 7

Wasn't this the game that was supposed to be played on Labor Day 2004 at 3 p.m. but due to one of our famous (or should I say infamous) hurricanes, it got rescheduled for December?

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Its clear that everyone on this board would show up no matter what time the game is, however its also clear from past experiences that not everyone in Bullnation will show up for a noon game.   Night games draw more people for USF.  Sure, other schools draw well for afternoon games, but for some reason USF just cant do it, yet.   UF will sell out no matter if the game is at 9am or 11pm.  They got 45,000 for their spring game.  We cant seem to get the numbers unless it is a 7pm game.  All of our early starts (luckily very few) have had poor attendance.  If we are in contention to win a confernce and a BCS bid, look for more crowds, no matter the time.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614
  • Days Won:  0

Wasn't this the game that was supposed to be played on Labor Day 2004 at 3 p.m. but due to one of our famous (or should I say infamous) hurricanes, it got rescheduled for December?

I don't reall the time but it was scheduled for Labor Day 6 SEP 2004.  Wisely it was rescheduled because of the the threat posed by Hurricane Frances..

Attendance was weak at the 4 DEC game (23,417).

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I don't reall the time but it was scheduled for Labor Day 6 SEP 2004.  Wisely it was rescheduled because of the the threat posed by Hurricane Frances..

Attendance was weak at the 4 DEC game (23,417).

Actually, it was even worse (6th lowest attended USF Game)...only about 1/2 of that number showed up.

(FYI...below article shows ACTUAL attendance...and not the number USF reports to the NCAA, which for Pitt, USF reported 23,417)

From Tampa Tribune

Dec 9, 2004

What's Up - Make That Down - With Football Attendance?

TAMPA - South Florida football fans either like to sleep in Saturday mornings or aren't interested in supporting a losing team.

Whatever the reason, the Bulls' average home attendance this year was 19,699, nearly 25 percent less than last season.

``We're not alarmed by it,'' said USF associate AD Tom Veit, the Bulls' marketing director.

Included in the Bulls' worst home attendance since 2001 were the fourth- and sixth- smallest crowds in school history, against Memphis (12,719) and Pittsburgh (12,832).

USF's other home games: Tennessee Tech (18,192), Southern Miss (23,770), Army (31,482) and East Carolina (19,201).

``We didn't have the usual winning tradition this year as past seasons,'' Veit said. ``We had every possible scheduling problem hit us. There wasn't any single reason why attendance was down and we're still building our fan base.''

The Bulls' attendance numbers were the second worst in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Say that I want to be "small time" if that is how you read it, but in THIS market with THIS quality of fan, noon games = empty seats.

I'd be there if the game started at 6:30AM, and so would you... but we'd be very lonely.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Guys,  recruits want to be on TV.  You move your games for TV to help in recruiting.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Guys,  recruits want to be on TV.  You move your games for TV to help in recruiting.

I'm pretty sure most recruits don't want to play in empty stadiums...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

It's their choice to make, as it is mine not to buy tickets.

I wonder if they would rather be on TV with only a few bodies in the stands or play before a packed house.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Ideally, they'd rather have both, but given the choice, they want to be on TV.  From a reliable source, one of the first questions recruits ask is, "How many times have you been on TV?"