• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the bulls are weak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

sic em smazza,,,,,,,,,, but a look on the other side , is that you have to let these guys grow a bit..being mostly softs and freshmen ...I'm thinking we will see a much bigger team in the size and strenght department  this year as compared to last...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

smazza,

I'll ask again.  How do you know that our guys aren't in this alleged 3-4-5 club?  I disagree about the field strength of our lines and linebackers.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

tbull- i hope so

but while we hear how fast our kids are not much is mentioned about their weight and strength training

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

Hey, stregnth on the O-Line shows with the running game, doesn't it?

USF's O-Line was in the top twenty in running offense, wasn't it?

I am sure 'smazzy' is going to say that it was all Andre Hall...

The stregnth and training regiment has imporved ten-fold since they weight room moved out from the basement of the Sun Dome and into the new facility last year.

Also, last time I checked this past year's roster was 70% freshmen/sophs..Of course they aren't going to be as stong as other teams: we are young and they aren't stacked with underclassmen like we are. The longer you are on the stregnth program, the stronger you will be.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

Although strength is very important, we used to have a saying "Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane"  What that refered to were those guys that either looked like mini-bodybuilers in muscularity or could absolutely lift a house strength wise, but couldn't play worth a lick.  There is so much more that goes into your ability to dominate than strength.  Its just that being stronger helps.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

I just wanna say that this post is hall of fame material based SOLELY on the size of smazza's post.

:o

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I imagine after a certain size level that technique and leverage are way more important than raw strength.  

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

scbull-didnt mean to ignore you

i could see the way our lineman are push around aND  failure of linebackers to tackle.

further,  fatigue set in several games

i can tell by the play of our team that we play smALL AND WEAK.

just an observation

unfortunately most on this board have very short memories

Guest S.  Bien
scbulls - our bulls are clearly a weak team. we don't dominate the line of scrimage.

the teams that do are loaded with 3-4-5 guys.

usfmikeb- the crowd i was are some of the best in their field.

i don't have to see us in the weight room. i see what we can't do on the field.

you always have to make it personal

usf has a few problems and it appears they need to get stronger

being 300 lbs alone will not get it done

Hey stupid, just because you learned a new buzz term with your USC cronnies over a power lunch doesn't mean you know anything.  Every OL starter at USF way exceeded those numbers, all of them benched more than 400, squatted over 600, and I believe most were at or near the 300 power clean.  In fact, we had three guys that were at or near 500lbs benches in Frank Davis, and Tim Jones.

I've never seen fatigue set into our team, and LB'ing tackling is almost laughable.  In fact, this thread by smazza, and his subsequent responses are all a joke.  

Ricky Ponton benches near 400lbs.

Sadly, many guys that criticize the size of our guys don't have the privilage of attending practice and standing next to guys.  I would guess it would take about two minutes this year of standing next to Ricky Ponton, Stephen Nicholas, Cedric Hill, Haliburton, Derek Carter, Tim Jones, and Frank Davis for people to realize this thread is ridiculous.

Now if someone wanted to talk real issues it would be about USF's listed sizes versus reality.  The past 2-3 years we've actually recruited guys that are more legit in their size, strength, and speed then in the past.  For example LRS Jr. was more like 5-10, Sarosi 6-4, Levi Newton was maybe 6-3, on, and on, and on.... this could be why we looked smaller than most of our opponents. Now USF is bringing in more guys with legit size and strength, stand next to say a Danny Tolley and you realize this kid is every inch of the 6-5 to 6-6 they've got him listed at, not the stretch that say Sarosi or Newton were in the past.  Shurron Pierson was listed at 6-4 but really 6-2 240, Terrance Royal is about the same size.  Stand next to Jarriette Buie and you see the difference, Josh Julmiste is legit 6-6....

The difference is the style of athlete we're recruiting.  Also, Leavitt is all about Olympic lifting.  The S&C Program is Leavitt's not Keefs (oh boy will smazza have a field day with this one).   Not that Keef isn't a good one, he use to work for the Bucs, but he's implementing Leavitt's program with some of his stuff worked in.  Anyone that knows Olympic lifting is designed to create more explosiveness, and joint strength then pure all out muscle strength.  We're not looking for the biggest bicep, but rather a more explosion and strength in the joints.  Because of this some will believe our guys aren't strong because they don't look as cut up, as other teams who may be more tradition power lifting.  However, many of the best teams love the Olympics because it can translate more directly to practical use on the football field.  They're just as strong as the other teams.