• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What if…..an alternate bulls history

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Or Mike Leach over Holtz. 

Those two hires and we likely are in a P5 now.

Usf and it's lack of consistency in hiring good coaches is what has held this program back the most. 

We had a shot at Mike Leach over Skip Holtz? Why didn’t that happen?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,086
  • Days Won:  469

Considered a bad boy like Jim Leavitt. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

Posted (edited)

I connected my cell phone to my microwave and send a text to Judy. I entered Steins Gate and it created an alternative timeline. We are  5 time National Champions, in the SEC,  and still  coached by Jim Leavitt. Miami is now in the AAC, and UCF folded their program.

Its an anime reference; so i expect confusion.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

On 5/13/2024 at 6:20 PM, WoolyBully said:

Am I to understand that this is a case of, for lack of a better term, "knowing your place"? Local HS coaches want their top tier players going to P5 schools, rather than to USF? That's pretty interesting. So, USF would be used as a place for the maybe-good-enough-to-play-just-not-primetime players? So, if a player didn't pan out at USC or Ohio State, and wanted to come back to Tampa, is there any repercussions for such? Are they welcomed with open arms, or is there any "hey, didn't we go over this once before? This sounds familiar..." sort of feelings that waft into the next wave of recruiting? 

Yes and this has been going on for years, going back into the Big East days. And if it was just the "maybe good enough" players I'd be OK with that. USF would dominate the AAC with 3-stars, a few 4-stars, and good coaching. 

But they don't want that. It almost seems like they would rather send kids out to Orlando rather than send them here. And while I love the portal-it's really tough to know for sure if they're going to be good or not. CJS tried it and it largely didn't pan out because he didn't bring guys who were ready to come win here. CAG has had busts too, but he's had more guys who succeeded here-because he found guys who had had some success before but needed to come home (biggest example of this is Nayquan Wright). 

What I can appreciate with Golesh is that he's overcoming that. He's outworking them and rolling in with a track record. Him pulling Echols away from Tennessee...that was a huge win. Echols had a relationship from before, yes, but there's literally no other reason he had to pick us over UT. He worked at it and managed to flip him. That's not something that has been done in a very long time here, I almost feel like Mack and D'earnest Johnson were the last guys we were able to do that with from high school. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

5 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Or Mike Leach over Holtz. 

Those two hires and we likely are in a P5 now.

Usf and it's lack of consistency in hiring good coaches is what has held this program back the most.

Skip was a good coach, that was short changed here.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

That would have been the best hire ever. It was always fun to watch his offense at TT,WSU, and Miss State even. He took Washington State to all new heights and now they aren't even a power conference team. Imagine how much fun he would have with being the pirate on the pirate ship. Sail on Mike Leach!

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

41 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yea we he wasn't a bad hire on paper. ..that academic committee really derailed him and alot of coaches might have struggled here.

3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

I have no clue maybe not...but that was around the time he had his own troubles so no way would we go after the one coach most similar to CJL at that time. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Triple B said:

SKip just wasnt the man for the USF JOb and didn't meet expectations here  because he lost more games than he won. He had success at  every other stop and unlike the last three head coaches fired from here.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

SKip just wasnt the man for the USF JOb and didn't meet expectations here  because he lost more games than he won. He had success at  every other stop and unlike the last three head coaches fired from here.

On paper Holtz is probably the best football coach hire we made. But these things never work our or are determined on paper.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

On 5/14/2024 at 6:15 PM, bowman1 said:

The only reason to keep Kerwin Bell around is the entertainment value of periodically posting the nut blast clip when his name is mentioned 

Maybe CAG needs an assistant to the assistant in charge of football inflation (basically, someone to hold the pump)

I mean if he pitched doing it to start every game or as a halftime gimmick i would listen but watching him coach here was like going to a watch Michael Jordan play baseball. The guy has one thing notable about him so throw the ball at your nuts or go away clown.