• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

20 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Again .... collegiate athletics vs. professional sports

again....what does this mean?

just because the powers that be have been able to control the labor market in college athletics for so long doesn't mean it's right.

you know what. I'm ok if lower level schools don't pay their players.

in fact division 3 don't even get scholarships. there should be another division. There is a huge discrepancy with ohio state's revenues $250m compared to the 130th place d1 fbs school. they will never be on a level playing field.

but when major college programs chase every last dollar(coaches, athletic directors, schools) than the players deserve a cut.

the "innocence" of amateur sports is dead. it has been for quite awhile.

Edited by Bull94
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,128
  • Days Won:  56

Nothing that is happening in collegiate sports today is meant to lift all boats and build a better, stronger product that creates more involvement. Every piece of it is designed to consolidate power in a handful of places. To an extent, it has always been that way, but right now, today, and the policies that are being put in place for the future are designed to shut programs out and make the overall product less competitive and less accessible outside of the chosen few.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  138
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Cmr3 said:

Hopefully his nephew!! 

I saw he was in the portal. Also former Bull Ryan Conwell.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Nothing that is happening in collegiate sports today is meant to lift all boats and build a better, stronger product that creates more involvement. Every piece of it is designed to consolidate power in a handful of places. To an extent, it has always been that way, but right now, today, and the policies that are being put in place for the future are designed to shut programs out and make the overall product less competitive and less accessible outside of the chosen few.

it has absolutely always been that way. some people just have some idyllic vision of the past that didn't really exist.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

Consolidation is end game capitalism stuff and it’s happening nearly everywhere. George Carlin cover this pretty well, “illusion of choice” I believe he called it.

Edited by 00Bull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,128
  • Days Won:  56

21 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

it has absolutely always been that way. some people just have some idyllic vision of the past that didn't really exist.

Maybe, but much of it was done in the dark.

I think some of this roster-hopping could be avoided if the player still had to sit out a year before competing. Sure, pay the kids, but the first year you have to pay them just to practice. Might make the player and the program think a little bit harder about the decision.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  776
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

We just lost roughly 76 minutes of guard play per game. JR averaged 23 min/gm. He’ll be at 30+ unless CAAR brings in a couple of super studs at that position. 

Like I said, Jennings is a stud, and so is CJ Brown. CAAR also said Jennings is a stud. I think that we are set with the current guard group; any additional help would be icing on the cake. As for Reid getting 30+ minutes per game, I would not count on it, merely for the fact that, if you look at CAARs recent seasons, his players get at the most 20+ minutes. CY topped our team with 30, as he did the last 2 seasons at KSU, with 31 per each season. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,452
  • Days Won:  19

59 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Things get better and worse every day, same as it always was.

That said, I think the current state of college athletics blows.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

Nothing to see here.  It's all good.  Always been this way ..... 

Naked Gun Movie GIF

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

3 hours ago, Bull94 said:

are you a marxist?

USF will be fine. we may not end up at the top level but with a minimal donor base and not much demand for the product it's understandable.

You think we should be "allowed" to compete with programs that bring in 5x our revenue by I guess spreading the wealth. That's not how the real world works. The rays have to compete with the yankees when they spend 3x what the rays do.

sorry but the power is shifting to the labor(players) and away from the capital(schools).

not much they can do about it and honestly with the ridiculous sums of money being thrown around the players deserve a chunk.

Loop Trump GIF

• Haha 1