• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future of College Sports TV rights/networks/services/etc.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

While conference realignment related, I feel this topic deserves its own thread. Please post relevant information here which could impact the future of college sports distribution networks. There is much to highlight and posit about regarding the Fox/ESPN battle, especially with regards to Florida State, but I do not feel enough is contemplated around the "next TV deals". With the PAC's demise - the last bidder they had was... Apple? Who also streams MLB on Sundays now. ESPN has gotten out too far over their skis and is now undergoing structural changes (and quite frankly, has been for a few years). With Netflix and Amazon also dipping their toes in the water (Thursday night football and now WWE RAW), I think it is safe to say the "next round" of contract negotiations for major CFB conferences towards the end of the decade will have quite a few new pieces who may be interested. 

I'll start it off - 

FRONTOFFICESPORTS.COM

An asset management firm is once again pressuring Disney to make more active steps to boost shareholder value.

Edited by USF_Bullsharks
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  684
  • Content Count:  7,644
  • Days Won:  6

Bally Sports (Diamond Corp) is attempting to sign a deal with Amazon to show all their properties (mostly MLB and NHL) on Prime.  If that happens and Prime subs increase, I can see Amazon getting into sports in a bigger way.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

9 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Bally Sports (Diamond Corp) is attempting to sign a deal with Amazon to show all their properties (mostly MLB and NHL) on Prime.  If that happens and Prime subs increase, I can see Amazon getting into sports in a bigger way.

Interesting that Diamond has $8B in debt they want to discharge. wow did they overpay for their sports rights.doesn't bode well for future contracts.

amazon looks to be involved as a minority investor for $155M. Picking up lot's of streaming rights on the cheap. 37 pro teams I believe.

WWW.ESPN.COM

On Wednesday, Diamond Sports Group announced a new deal with Amazon. What does it mean for the streaming rights of your favorite teams?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

We started to see pushback from Cable Providers as well. That was the main sticking point between Charter Spectrum and Disney. Charter was upset that they were essentially subsidizing cable networks to develop  their streaming platforms, such as Disney, and their customers not having access to the streaming content. As part of the new deal " Spectrum TV Select customers will have access to the ad-supported tier for Disney+, while Spectrum TV Select Plus customers will also gain access to ESPN Plus—and (eventually) the standalone ESPN streaming service that Disney has been planning".  It's hard keeping track of what games I can watch and where...and let's not forget the occasional "blackout". I forgot which game it was from a couple of years ago but I was ready to watch USF Football on ESPN Plus, only to find out it was on Balley Sports and blacked out on ESPN PLus "for local markets".  Hopefully, we will start to see an integrated system. Another factor will be internet and cell phone providers offering free services. For example, with T-Mobile I currently have MLB/MLS network, Netflix, and soon Hulu "with adds" for free. O brave new world.

WWW.INSIDERINTELLIGENCE.COM

Disney and Charter’s carriage fee clash is a landmark moment: A new deal includes Disney+ and ESPN subscriptions for the linear TV service’s customers.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, jeremyttt said:

We started to see pushback from Cable Providers as well. That was the main sticking point between Charter Spectrum and Disney. Charter was upset that they were essentially subsidizing cable networks to develop  their streaming platforms, such as Disney, and their customers not having access to the streaming content. As part of the new deal " Spectrum TV Select customers will have access to the ad-supported tier for Disney+, while Spectrum TV Select Plus customers will also gain access to ESPN Plus—and (eventually) the standalone ESPN streaming service that Disney has been planning".  It's hard keeping track of what games I can watch and where...and let's not forget the occasional "blackout". I forgot which game it was from a couple of years ago but I was ready to watch USF Football on ESPN Plus, only to find out it was on Balley Sports and blacked out on ESPN PLus "for local markets".  Hopefully, we will start to see an integrated system. Another factor will be internet and cell phone providers offering free services. For example, with T-Mobile I currently have MLB/MLS network, Netflix, and soon Hulu "with adds" for free. O brave new world.

WWW.INSIDERINTELLIGENCE.COM

Disney and Charter’s carriage fee clash is a landmark moment: A new deal includes Disney+ and ESPN subscriptions for the linear TV service’s customers.

My favorite thing about having T Mobs is getting MLB TV fo free

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,481
  • Days Won:  25

9 hours ago, 79 Bull said:

I think this already went through because I saw prime airing basketball games this year, but I don't want basketball.  I know Hbo has some basketball and nhl games now too.

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,747
  • Content Count:  37,635
  • Days Won:  29

We will be all streaming in the future

17 hours ago, E.T. said:

We will be all streaming in the future

yep and school payouts will be decided by how many of their fans subscribe.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,055
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

yep and school payouts will be decided by how many of their fans subscribe.

I was thinking about this a couple years ago.  If USF is savvy, they could end up making more money this way.  

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

I was thinking about this a couple years ago.  If USF is savvy, they could end up making more money this way.  

possibly. not sure of the # of season ticket holders + students  we have. probably a good indication of how many subscribers we would get.