• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

32 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

i don't disagree, but football players when paid  Nil money will become just like coaches; mere employees where they are paid based on performance and aren't retained (or pushed out) when they dont perform

There seems to be a double standard regarding coaches versus players. It seems that when a player jumps they are criticized more than when a coach jumps. Really don't see it too often where coaches don't jump on better opportunities ( Leavitt was a notable exception).

Not sure that's true.  Have you seen the posts around here about CWT?   Kiffin was not very well liked when leaving Tennessee etc

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

image.thumb.png.59ea16d3501112a0e634727b76c8c1a5.png

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

21 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Not sure that's true.  Have you seen the posts around here about CWT?   Kiffin was not very well liked when leaving Tennessee etc

Good point, and i guess one other variable is the way someone leaves whether player or coach.  I remember when Kiffin left it was a real **** show. But still in the end I doubt there is much bad blood from Tennessee fans or Kenessaw fans regarding Golesh or Rahim leaving for USF, since I think most of their fans understand that that was just a positive career move, and since both left in a classy way. But I guess that might just be naiveté on my part, and just speculation  since I have not read their boards.

I guess the only knock regarding Battie was that he said he was going to stay, but still in the end I understand his decision. I think it will be key for USF in the coming years to be competitive in the NIL.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Exactly. He cared enough to put a nice chunk towards the IPF. He just wasn't ready for a head coaching gig, or at least this head coaching gig ....

I'm pretty sure coaches are "encouraged" to make these donations and become Iron Bulls. When you're making 1.5 million 10k isn't a crapload. His name is in the same donor level column as me and the Mrs at the IPF.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

Amaze Lionel Richie GIF by American Idol

You deserve better company  @CousinRicky

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

7 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm pretty sure coaches are "encouraged" to make these donations and become Iron Bulls. When you're making 1.5 million 10k isn't a crapload. His name is in the same donor level column as me and the Mrs at the IPF.

Maybe I'm cheap with respect to some things. When I see $10K leave the bank account, my cheeks pucker just a bit tighter. I guess it's human nature.

I'm considering retiring in two years when my wife finishes her last two years in the Army, however with four young kids, I really still struggle to grasp what is enough money "banked per se" to walk away from a high stress, high paying job in today's environment? My two year old boy already believes he's Juan Soto when he sees a baseball bat (he doesn't know who Juan Soto is yet), and a good part of me would like to see if I should go super dad like Todd Marinovich's pops did with him to give him every opportunity to succeed in a sport he naturally gravitates too. The other part of me saw my oldest daughter got her first "B" on her report card yesterday and I realized I'm not home enough presently to ensure that doesn't happen again. She's in third grade, however just like we're talking about Golesh setting the bar by not allowing Brian Battie to come back, I'm setting the bar with my daughter that B's aren't acceptable. Parenting is tough... those of you with kids already in college - congratulations on surviving the every day struggle.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

My thoughts on Brian Battie...

I've had similar scenarios with workers at my company. I believe every situation is unique. I lost my best employee last year - he called me back after spending eight months on his own. Bringing him back was the best decision I could have made for multiple reasons. The other employees realized quickly that you're not guaranteed success when you leave and maybe their current landing spot isn't so bad after all. 

From my perspective, Battie kept his head down and did the right things when he played here. He maintained a low profile. He was well respected among his peers and around the community in general. I believe bringing him back would benefit Golesh due to Battie's personality. Battie was a step ahead of everyone on the field at USF. Battie could very well deliver the message that would resonate with other players in the locker room - making the switch even with the immense amount of talent he possessed did not end well and was detrimental to his future.

Brian's parents are USF grads... he'll always be a Bull to me. I wish Golesh had taken longer to consider this decision assuming there is truth to Battie wanting to come back.

I do understand Golesh's decision though... being a bit older, I try to look at the big picture from multiple lenses (and I'm sure Golesh has as well). 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

48 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

I've had similar scenarios with workers at my company. I believe every situation is unique. I lost my best employee last year - he called me back after spending eight months on his own. Bringing him back was the best decision I could have made for multiple reasons. 

In your example was your company short staffed and struggling immensely when he left, and then suddenly better staffed and operating much better when he wanted to come back?  Was that guy really the BEST employee or just top producer at an underperforming company (with respect to your company - just hypothetical) etc.  Just trying to put some context in to your example. 

Im good with whatever coach thinks here. The NIL and transfer portal stuff is new and this is the one opportunity for coach to build this team.  So I find no need for blame, hard feelings or any of that.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  39

51 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

he'll always be a Bull to me. I wish Golesh had taken longer to consider this decision assuming there is truth to Battie wanting to come back.

We don't technically know all the background info though.  It may not have been as black and white as everyone assumes.

52 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

he'll always be a Bull to me.

He will sadly be forgotten in Bulls lore.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

I'm considering retiring in two years when my wife finishes her last two years in the Army, however with four young kids, I really still struggle to grasp what is enough money "banked per se" to walk away from a high stress, high paying job in today's environment? My two year old boy already believes he's Juan Soto when he sees a baseball bat (he doesn't know who Juan Soto is yet), and a good part of me would like to see if I should go super dad like Todd Marinovich's pops did with him to give him every opportunity to succeed in a sport he naturally gravitates too. The other part of me saw my oldest daughter got her first "B" on her report card yesterday and I realized I'm not home enough presently to ensure that doesn't happen again. She's in third grade, however just like we're talking about Golesh setting the bar by not allowing Brian Battie to come back, I'm setting the bar with my daughter that B's aren't acceptable. Parenting is tough... those of you with kids already in college - congratulations on surviving the every day struggle.

Just some thoughts to share. As for how much money is enough - how much debt to you have? Do you have to pay college tuition? Are you good driving non-flashy cars and holding on to them? We retired at around 50, never made a lot of money but had no debts, live modestly and still haven't touched our 403b account 20 years later. We do have a traditional pension though and now get social security.

As for your daughter's grades I wouldn't over react to a B. I remember being in high school and being a pretty good student. Showed up for a history test once and blanked. I mean totally blanked. It was an essay test and turned in a blank paper. Got my only C in high school that marking period. 

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Like 1