• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls picked 5th

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, keith S said:

In fact they haven't sent a player to USF for a while because of one player who committed and his senior year didn't hit well and his scholly was pulled. Now they won't send anyone here.

We HAVE to fix that.

Sure do.  

Shouldn’t be pulling scholarships anyway. If the coach ****** up and took somebody he later regretted, he should live with it.  Dumb move.  

And I know I’ll get criticized for that because of the student athlete is now the professional player, but still, somebody’s gotta have some morals and ethics in this business. Someone needs a hold true to their word.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Sure do.  

Shouldn’t be pulling scholarships anyway. If the coach ****** up and took somebody he later regretted, he should live with it.  Dumb move.  

And I know I’ll get criticized for that because of the student athlete is now the professional player, but still, somebody’s gotta have some morals and ethics in this business. Someone needs a hold true to their word.  

A few things.  1.  I agree with it generally being a bad look to "pull a scholly" because of pour performance.   There isn't a lot of scholarship money for baseball and most are not getting full rides from baseball.   

BUT, this sounds like someone committed and the Bulls pulled their offer or whatever before they stepped on campus.  That happens all the time now a days and it has happened to the Bulls quite a bit over the past couple of years where guys decommitted and went somewhere else or got drafted and signed to play pro ball rather than come to USF.  Kids are committing in 9th/10th grade and a lot can happen before they graduate high school.

I'm not going to fault the coaching staff for deciding that a commitment doesn't fit their plans.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Good response, I kind of jumped at pulled scholarship.  I failed to note the scholarship was pulled before he landed on campus...I can agree to that. 

However, because it happens all the time is a ****** way to conduct one's business, still.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, Brad said:

Good response, I kind of jumped at pulled scholarship.  I failed to note the scholarship was pulled before he landed on campus...I can agree to that. 

However, because it happens all the time is a ****** way to conduct one's business, still.

I understand that things happen, and in this case, it's my understanding that he was also a couple of classes short at the end but, this team has won many national championships, is the best team in the area by far, and is sending kids to a lot of places we don't want them to go. We need to drive over and work things out.

A lot of parents don't want their kids going straight to the pros, and with the new transfer portal, a lot of teams like Ole Miss, UF, and FSU would rather have someone from the portal than a high school player.

That means a lot of high school players we should not have a look at, might want to come here. (We might loose them a year later) but, we might make a place they want to stay.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm assuming since he mentioned senior year that's what he meant. 

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.  My point was that schools pull offers all the time.  The idea that a high school or travel program would stop sending players to USF because they allegedly did this to one guy is kind of absurd (unless it was the guy's son maybe).  They would ultimately be hurting their players more than USF.

58 minutes ago, keith S said:

I understand that things happen, and in this case, it's my understanding that he was also a couple of classes short at the end but, this team has won many national championships, is the best team in the area by far, and is sending kids to a lot of places we don't want them to go. We need to drive over and work things out.

A lot of parents don't want their kids going straight to the pros, and with the new transfer portal, a lot of teams like Ole Miss, UF, and FSU would rather have someone from the portal than a high school player.

That means a lot of high school players we should not have a look at, might want to come here. (We might loose them a year later) but, we might make a place they want to stay.

There's no "but".  There's more to the story than they just pulled his scholly because he didn't hit well his senior year.

That's debatable that they're the best in the area by the way and you can see my response to Brad above.  If they are "sending" kids away from USF, they are hurting their kids as much or more than they are hurting USF

Edited by olafberserker

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,278
  • Days Won:  25

It is a tough sale to play for the coach based on his tenure at usf. He has had time to build a winning foundation but has the program moving backwards not forward. 

Screenshot_20231230_160404_Chrome.jpg.44bde5c2a1ad5fd41b46de08ad7c3a01.jpg

They've been up and down since he's been here including 2 regional appearances, a conference championship and their only Regional championship ever and he's done pretty well recruiting wise overall

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  56

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

It is a tough sale to play for the coach based on his tenure at usf. He has had time to build a winning foundation but has the program moving backwards not forward. 

Screenshot_20231230_160404_Chrome.jpg.44bde5c2a1ad5fd41b46de08ad7c3a01.jpg

Seems pretty obvious that he needs a good year in 2024 if he’s going to be asked to stick around.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,524
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, olafberserker said:

There's no "but".  There's more to the story than they just pulled his scholly because he didn't hit well his senior year.

That's debatable that they're the best in the area by the way and you can see my response to Brad above.  If they are "sending" kids away from USF, they are hurting their kids as much or more than they are hurting USF

Not that familiar with this process so how much influence do these teams have over their players in regards to "sending" them places?