• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One of the greatest turnarounds in CFB history, 1-11 USF still on pace to go to a Bowl

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Mike, can I have some whatever it is you're on.  After these past two weeks, I don't expect USF to win this week.  I think USF will win against Temple and Charlotte and finish 5-7 to match the biggest year-to-year increase... but any more than that seems out of reach.  I will be happy if U Conn doesn't manage to score 40 points this week.  I may not even watch the game.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

20 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Mike, can I have some whatever it is you're on.  After these past two weeks, I don't expect USF to win this week.  I think USF will win against Temple and Charlotte and finish 5-7 to match the biggest year-to-year increase... but any more than that seems out of reach.  I will be happy if U Conn doesn't manage to score 40 points this week.  I may not even watch the game.

I think we have more "talent" than UConn, and match up well against them. They do not appear to have a dynamic offense. 

Putting aside the scores, talent wise, there is only one game USF has played where the more talented team didn't win (in my opinion) and that is Rice. I think the QB injury and our O clicking led to a win when they had more talent. 

That being said, I think we over performed against Alabama too, in that the talent gap was huge, but we kept it close. 

Likewise, we underperformed the last two weeks, as I do think UAB and FAU have more talent than us, but no where near the disparity as the scores would indicate. 

If we just win the games where we bring the most talent on the field, then we are headed to 6-6. 

And - the really good news, the talent should be getting better next year. 

(disclaimer, I am speaking of collective talent of the whole roster, and this isn't meant to be calling out the players)

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

18 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I think we have more "talent" than UConn, and match up well against them. They do not appear to have a dynamic offense. 

Putting aside the scores, talent wise, there is only one game USF has played where the more talented team didn't win (in my opinion) and that is Rice. I think the QB injury and our O clicking led to a win when they had more talent. 

That being said, I think we over performed against Alabama too, in that the talent gap was huge, but we kept it close. 

Likewise, we underperformed the last two weeks, as I do think UAB and FAU have more talent than us, but no where near the disparity as the scores would indicate. 

If we just win the games where we bring the most talent on the field, then we are headed to 6-6. 

And - the really good news, the talent should be getting better next year. 

(disclaimer, I am speaking of collective talent of the whole roster, and this isn't meant to be calling out the players)

The disparity in the last 2 weeks is very concerning though.  Whatever the reasons are that made those losses happen the way they did needs to be figured out.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

9 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

The disparity in the last 2 weeks is very concerning though.  Whatever the reasons are that made those losses happen the way they did needs to be figured out.

Agreed. 

As I sat there last week against FAU I wondered if they figured out our signals, or tuned into our headsets. That second half was as ugly as it gets. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,767
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

We aren't a good team yet, but we aren't a horrible team any more either.

I think that's a fair assessment, given that bar was set at horrible.  What does it take to not be Scottawful...three wins. That's it. Win 25% of your games (or lose 75% of your games) and you're officially no longer horrible. Getting to six wins would be clawing and scratching our way to mediocrity. And having been starved of good for the past four years, it's understandable why some people would assume that, somehow, after three wins we've made a miraculous recovery and are on our way to the AAC championship. No, we are at best, average. I wouldn't be shocked if we did lose to Uconn. Long gone are the days of penciling in wins beforehand. 'Cause you know...since we're not in the miracle business, as of today, USF is favored in only two more games this season (and one of them is not Uconn) -Charlotte & Temple. Then again, we're not - and never have been - good at managing expectations (as the phrase in normally understood). 

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, John Lewis said:

Very well said Mike

Says the guy who called me out last week for some response I made that I don't remember.  🥱

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,914
  • Days Won:  33

16 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Says the guy who called me out last week for some response I made that I don't remember.  🥱

Yes, I said it and I stand by it.

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

4 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Yes, I said it and I stand by it.

And I still don't know what we're talking about. Us going bowling?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,914
  • Days Won:  33

Just now, CousinRicky said:

And I still don't know what we're talking about. Us going bowling?

That, and Mike's thread here.

I had us at 3-4 at this point of the season, so we're not behind where I believe we will finish.

While I certainly understand why everyone is down on the team right now (and rightfully so), I will not give up on them.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

I may not even watch the game.

I'm also in this camp.  Thinking of getting out into nature.