• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Basketball Picked 9th

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

First: I am excited for this team and this season. Looking forward to basketball for sure. 

Now my rant: Over the last 10-15 years as our conference schedule has gotten softer our non-conference schedule has also gotten softer. It is time to bulk up the non-conference schedule (like the women do). (first year new coach, this complaint isn't about this year, just a bad trend we need to reverse)

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

It's tough to beef up that OOC schedule when you are winning 3 or 4 games a year in conference

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

17 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

First: I am excited for this team and this season. Looking forward to basketball for sure. 

Now my rant: Over the last 10-15 years as our conference schedule has gotten softer our non-conference schedule has also gotten softer. It is time to bulk up the non-conference schedule (like the women do). (first year new coach, this complaint isn't about this year, just a bad trend we need to reverse)

I agree, but the positive about is that it gives Coach Rahim the opportunity to come in and win games right away; especially considering the teams we are playing OOC.

I am kind of happy with the weak schedule for both football and basketball so that our new coaches can come in and get positive momentum going. But yes in the future a stronger OOC slate in basketball will be necessary to prop up our resume for if we want to make it to the big dance, since the AAC will no longer be a 2 to 4 bid conference.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

I have to say I'm kind of psyched for MBB this year.  But I probably say that every year when their record is 0-0.  I've been going to Bulls games since 1975 and would love to have just a taste of the few decent seasons we've had.  So much fun traveling around to 4 different venues for "home" games and winning most of those.  I know you can't go home again.

GO BULLS!

• Go Bulls! 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

58 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

It's tough to beef up that OOC schedule when you are winning 3 or 4 games a year in conference

... and turning a good portion of the roster over every year. Although there's still going to be some roster volatility in this new world, maybe we can establish some sort of a core that sticks around. CBG had a decent ooc schedule following the CBI year but not so much after that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  770
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

I totally agree, except for one thing. We went 0-3 against the ASUN last year. I would like to see us beat teams from weaker conferences before we start trying to schedule against ranked teams. It starts this year. And we have a meeting with a top 10 team but only because we happen to be in the same conference. Let's make a statement!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

I have zero idea what this team will look like - just like football was a month and a half ago - and I guess that creates some excitement for what could be. It’s a hodgepodge of a roster, for sure. Will they gel and play together? The guys from Kennesaw probably give us a better chance at that. Would love to see Corey Walker live up to his potential and Selton Miguel be able to go to his left. Cautiously optimistic again, but it feels like this is the year we get the entire athletic program heading back in the right direction. So far, the fall has shown that - with the exception of men’s soccer.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

5 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Cautiously optimistic again, but it feels like this is the year we get the entire athletic program heading back in the right direction. So far, the fall has shown that - with the exception of men’s soccer.

They took a huge kick to the **** in that Charlotte game Sunday. All the conf losses, and win, has been by 1 goal. They've still got time to turn around and qualify for tourney but not much room for error.

• 4 months later...