• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Early line

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

6 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

he may be playing with house money, that being said at this point this team has a shot at playing for a league title. A risk like that in one game could dash those hopes. I'm all for going for it on 4th down from near midfield or better. He has had more than 1 of these risks backfire this year. At some point if we keep playing with fire it is going to burn us.

There is an argument to be made about mindset. He believes that his offense will get the yard or two and, if we don't, that the defense will hold the other team off. As a player, you have to get juiced when your coach believes in you like that. I was watching the Jets-KC game last night and the Jets had momentum and decided to kick a 50+ yard FG on a 4th and short. That was a moment where, if you believe in your team, you go for it. It matters to the players. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision and hindsight is always 20/20, but if aggression and fearlessness is going to be this team's identity, we all need to support and embrace it. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Between the muffed punt turnover and then failing on 4th down in our own territory, we basically spotted Navy 14 points.  We were able to overcome it and win, but it won't work when we are playing tougher teams.  Need to clean up the early mistakes.  If we don't lose the turnover battle, we beat UAB Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

We just did ...

We did but UAB I suspect is better than Navy...at some point it will cost us a game. 

Clean up turnovers and we beat UAB by 14+

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

There is an argument to be made about mindset. He believes that his offense will get the yard or two and, if we don't, that the defense will hold the other team off. As a player, you have to get juiced when your coach believes in you like that. I was watching the Jets-KC game last night and the Jets had momentum and decided to kick a 50+ yard FG on a 4th and short. That was a moment where, if you believe in your team, you go for it. It matters to the players. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision and hindsight is always 20/20, but if aggression and fearlessness is going to be this team's identity, we all need to support and embrace it. 

So do we go for it from our own 15 on 4th and 2? Is is that too risky? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

12 hours ago, NinjaPenguin777 said:

I dont have a problem with Golesh going for it on 4th and short. What I hate is when he put the offense into the power running formation. It rarely works. We're a spread option team. Why not just run a RPO and let BB decide where to go with the ball. Teams know exactly what we're doing when we line up in the power formation and we're arent the Eagles.

Shotguns on 4th and 1 are just prone to more errors.  Tush push... or the "Brotherly shove" is the way to go.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

I think Bruce Arians said it, "no risk it no Triscuit."

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

I'm good with going for it if we are up by 2 scores or if it is 4 & 2 and less. Other than that, get the 3 little points man. 

41 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

So do we go for it from our own 15 on 4th and 2? Is is that too risky? 

That might be a little bit too risky for my taste, but it would also depend on the context of the situation. We have gone for it on 4th down more than any other team in the nation. I like the aggressive approach. I wish the play calling was a little bit better at times, but this is a results based game and, so far, the results have been good enough. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

he may be playing with house money, that being said at this point this team has a shot at playing for a league title. A risk like that in one game could dash those hopes. I'm all for going for it on 4th down from near midfield or better. He has had more than 1 of these risks backfire this year. At some point if we keep playing with fire it is going to burn us.

I agree. I'm all for the 4th down attempts, but not in our territory. Technically we are at a 60% conversion, but I rather have a higher 3rd down conversion rate. 

MISCELLANEOUS
3rd Down Conversions 33-84 (39.29%) 25-74 (33.78%)
4th Down Conversions 11-19 (57.89%) 7-11 (63.64%)
Fumbles-Lost 7-6 4-4
Sacks-Yards Lost 14-87 23-130
Red Zone: Attempts-Scores 16-21 15-18
Red Zone: Touchdowns 13-21 12-18

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I agree. I'm all for the 4th down attempts, but not in our territory. Technically we are at a 60% conversion, but I rather have a higher 3rd down conversion rate. 

MISCELLANEOUS
3rd Down Conversions 33-84 (39.29%) 25-74 (33.78%)
4th Down Conversions 11-19 (57.89%) 7-11 (63.64%)
Fumbles-Lost 7-6 4-4
Sacks-Yards Lost 14-87 23-130
Red Zone: Attempts-Scores 16-21 15-18
Red Zone: Touchdowns 13-21 12-18

Hopefully the offense will get to the efficient to the point where 4th down is not as necessary but as things are, we need to have it in our arsenal. We still don't have a true, game breaker on offense. We have decent role players who have shown up each week. Our defense is better served by us going for it on 4th and short. A 3 and out with this offense could take less than 30 seconds of game time. While we are deeper than we have been in the past, we aren't deep enough to be in a situation where our defense is being exposed to multiple long, physical drives in a row with no reprieve.