• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Through 3 games this season, most surprising?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

USF_Bullsharks was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 20 points.

Nobody here is surprised we are 1-2 going into conference play, however there are some big surprises to this team so far. What is yours? 

Mine is easy, the defense. I do not think a single person on this board would have expected our defense to make such a dramatic change from last season. How many people on this board were upset with the transfers and recruiting heavily consisting of offensive players? We were all screaming defense defense defense. We held Alabama to 310 TOTAL yards in a game, the fewest for them this year and after a season where they averaged nearly 500/game. 

Others: Offense is horrible (this is also a big surprise). So many penalties (but huge improvement week 3 vs 1/2). Physicality on both sides of ball. BB leading the team in rushing. Sean Atkins. Daquan Evans. What do you think? 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

3 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Nobody here is surprised we are 1-2 going into conference play, however there are some big surprises to this team so far. What is yours? 

Mine is easy, the defense. I do not think a single person on this board would have expected our defense to make such a dramatic change from last season. How many people on this board were upset with the transfers and recruiting heavily consisting of offensive players? We were all screaming defense defense defense. We held Alabama to 310 TOTAL yards in a game, the fewest for them this year and after a season where they averaged nearly 500/game. 

Others: Offense is horrible (this is also a big surprise). So many penalties (but huge improvement week 3 vs 1/2). Physicality on both sides of ball. BB leading the team in rushing. Sean Atkins. Daquan Evans. What do you think? 

Of course, defense. I am withholding negative judgment on the offense for 1 more week. The defense advanced tremendously in week 3, but offense lagged. However, offense is more of a finesse/ skills type of situation. A smaller, slower offense cannot typically overpower a stronger and faster defense especially when the starting point is where USF is coming from. The USF offense MAY have actually improved but was just blunted from showing any success against the size and speed of Alabama. If we have a repeat anemic offense vs. a smaller/ relatively slower opponent in Rice, then I will conclude we just aren't getting better on offense yet. That's why I am so excited for this Saturday, it could be the first time the offense and defense really shine at the same time.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Defense! I can handle watching teams with good defenses as it seems to keep USF in the game most of the time. So I have been enjoying the season thus far despite the 1-2 record.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Defense....but I had a feeling with Dline additions they get better but Alabama game blew me away.  They are out of the 100s and I think finish around the 60s or so. 

I had an idea the offense would struggle some...but BB passing struggles have surprised me the most.

I think offense was showing some improvement vs a good FAMU team curious to see how they look vs Rice.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, mjadams said:

Defense and also BB 50% completion rate thus far

100%! Defense and Brown's inaccuracy equally surprise me. I also believe that Golesh could help with a few more short to intermediate pass calls.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Our D out-physical'd Bama's offensive front, which is not something I thought I'd ever be able to say. Also, the secondary has been playing phenomenal this year. Like, enough to make me question WTF the defensive staff has been doing the last couple years. Other than a safety biting on playaction, Bama didn't have any big passing plays. Nobody looking lost out there. No shots of a receiver running toward the end zone with no defender even in the shot. The D is giving this offense the time they need to gel. If they can keep it up, we'll be running conference opponents over when the offense clicks

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

Defense, if before the season someone would have told me that our defense would have held Alabama two touchdowns I would'nt have believed it. However, offense is not as good as I had expected.

After week 3 I am satisfied with what i have seen so far. I do see with Golesh an aura, an energy, a blue collar grit and get in your face attitude that seems to have spread to the entire team. Even when our offense couldnt get much going they never quit.

Just three weeks in, and still a lot of football to be played, and the Rice, Navy, UAB games will be a very important to confirm all this

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The defense is much better than last year. However, it's still not great.

Defense ranks 98th in YPG allowed at 389.3 and 88th in PPG allowed at 27.33. That's out of 130 schools.

Last year's defense allowed 41.2 PPG (only Colorado was worse) and 516.6 YPG (worst in FBS).

• Upvote 1