• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I am worried about the QB position

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

Golesh did recruit a few decent wide receivers ( at least on paper). Perhaps not on the level of what we lost through the portal, but hopefully a few of them can step up.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

What concerns me is we have a lack of WR talent able to run routes and get separation that also struggle with drops yet we keep trying deep shots. I expect to see more short and medium routes when we start conference play. The offensive line and suspect and Brown is taking a beating back there. I don't understand why we don't use more motion before the play to create misdirection mismatches and try rolling Brown out of the pocket more. We only had two create calls yesterday the fake handout to screen and the 4th and short call. I thought Golesh would have more creative calls and designs in his offense. Maybe he was going for the kill shot with the deep ball yesterday because if our receivers could run better routes and our qb had a little more accuracy we had a few deep balls available. The interception was a bad pass. I think Brown could be a lot more successful if we start using quick short to medium routes such as slant, screens, and curls.

Have you listened to the presser? If not, Golesh said that at the same time Brown threw the WR decided to curl a little to the left.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I’m not sure that anybody could’ve got a win because we didn’t have any plays where a receiver really mattered.  We are very weak in the receiver room. That’s a fact although it might hurt some folks.  I think Matt would’ve looked a lot like Byrum mode and running his ass off same with Quinton - just running to protect their own health.

This is about a bad as the "hey, WWcjlD?" (in pookah's voice). Plug in tom brady and we aren't winning unless the receivers get open! The one throw on the sideline pick... The DB was so big i couldn't hardly see the receiver behind him. They got some big ass DBs!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647

WE clearly have the worst group of receivers that lack  high end talent or play making ability that I can remember.

15 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Have you listened to the presser? If not, Golesh said that at the same time Brown threw the WR decided to curl a little to the left.

I watched it as I said we lack high end talent at the WR position. We have zero receivers that show they can be wr1 or wr2 at the moment. WE lack a Weaver or a Horn type receiver.

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

46 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

But wouldn’t you think that Byrum has to see the defender and the receiver and know that’s coming?  Golish made it sound like that was the expected move.

Golesh took blame for it, but, what could he be taking blame for? Other than perhaps that Byrum needs to know that break off and anticipate it.  

Just now, Brad said:

But wouldn’t you think that Byrum has to see the defender and the receiver and know that’s coming?  Golish made it sound like that was the expected move.

No. If the receiver is supposed to go in a certain direction, or to a spot,  and the qb throws to that spot, at his release the receiver changes direction…

i’ve never coached football, but I don’t believe that’s the case.  I think you have to make a route adjustment just like you do in basketball when a guy fronts a break off the screen you go backdoor for example.  Everybody on the team knows that’s what you’re supposed to do and then when he does it, it’s no surprise.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

Golesh took blame for it, but, what could he be taking blame for? Other than perhaps that Byrum needs to know that break off and anticipate it.  

Sounded like he was taking the blame for calling the shot to the end zone. Thought he said they were matriculating (my word, not his) the ball down the field nicely and he got greedy ...

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

i’ve never coached football, but I don’t believe that’s the case.  I think you have to make a route adjustment just like you do in basketball when a guy fronts a break off the screen you go backdoor for example.  Everybody on the team knows that’s what you’re supposed to do and then when he does it, it’s no surprise.   

Ever see a basketball player throw the ball right by a teammate because he THOUGHT he was going left and he goes right?