• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops roster-builder thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think Amir really prioritizes a true center. Last year he had a 9 man rotation and the biggest guy was 6'8 264. Brandon Stroud at 6'6 200 was the 3rd biggest guy in his rotation.

Must preach fundamentals as they still we're great at not allowing offensive boards, 87th percentile in the nation at that. That even held up when playing power teams. 

Against Xavier they had 10 offensive boards and let up 4.

Against Florida they had 11 offensive boards and let up 6.

Against VCU they had 14 offensive boards and let up 8.

Against Indiana they had 4 offensive boards and let up 5.

Playing smaller allows them to have better perimeter defense too, their opponents had one of the worst assist/turnover ratios in the country. That combination of forcing the opposition to create off the dribble and not allowing extra possessions by boxing out is especially deadly when you're smaller and quicker and can capitalize by pushing the pace the other way and catching the defense out of position. Not a coincidence they we're in the 92nd percentile in the country at drawing fouls.

They were 0 and 4 in these games, 0 and 5 if you include San Diego State ( 3 double digit losses), so whatever style we play I hope it translates to wins in the AAC.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, belgianbull said:

, so whatever style we play I hope it translates to wins in the AAC.

As my pops used to say, **** in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up quicker.  Sometimes coaches come in to play their system regardless of their personnel, the great ones adapt, my guess is we don’t have a great one, doubt seriously we even have a good one, or an average one. At a glance this team is ****, this hire was a swing and a miss. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

13 hours ago, Friscobull said:

As my pops used to say, **** in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up quicker.

And you probably did?

my guess is we don’t have a great one, doubt seriously we even have a good one, or an average one. At a glance this team is ****, this hire was a swing and a miss. 

Hilarious.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

As my pops used to say, **** in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up quicker.

I wonder why it is that when anyone starts something with “as my pops used to say”, it usually turns out to be something stupid?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

18 hours ago, bulloni said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think Amir really prioritizes a true center. Last year he had a 9 man rotation and the biggest guy was 6'8 264. Brandon Stroud at 6'6 200 was the 3rd biggest guy in his rotation.

Must preach fundamentals as they still we're great at not allowing offensive boards, 87th percentile in the nation at that. That even held up when playing power teams. 

Against Xavier they had 10 offensive boards and let up 4.

Against Florida they had 11 offensive boards and let up 6.

Against VCU they had 14 offensive boards and let up 8.

Against Indiana they had 4 offensive boards and let up 5.

Playing smaller allows them to have better perimeter defense too, their opponents had one of the worst assist/turnover ratios in the country. That combination of forcing the opposition to create off the dribble and not allowing extra possessions by boxing out is especially deadly when you're smaller and quicker and can capitalize by pushing the pace the other way and catching the defense out of position. Not a coincidence they we're in the 92nd percentile in the country at drawing fouls.

I would not say coach Amir does not prioritize a center based on his roster last year. If you don't have a quality big because you were not able to recruit one, it does not mean he does not prioritize a center. When he arrived at USF, reports were that he wanted to keep Anthony Robinson. Also, he was able to get Tobiloba to flip his commitment. Sure, this was probably due to his hiring the guy that Tobiloba committed to; however, he could have easily said no. We will see how things play out.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

If we're looking for a big guy, here's an interesting one that hit the portal at the very end - Ernest Udeh, Jr. (6-11/250)

He was a true freshman at Kansas last year and played minor minutes but was effective when he did (34-45 from the floor 76%!). Played HS ball at Dr. Phillips in Orlando.

Another that I mentioned earlier is Ven-Allen Lubin (6-8/220) from Notre Dame. Another Orlando kid from OCP. Made seven starts as a frosh and averaged 6.2 ppg.

Either or both would be really good gets. I don't know, but I'm guessing Oviedo CC might be in the mix for these guys.

I'm also probably shooting too high.  🙂

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

On 5/7/2023 at 10:21 AM, Dave_Glaser said:

That’s 10. Three to go. Have to believe one will be Dante Oliver when his father is confirmed as an assistant coach, so two more.

Is there anything further on this? We've had 2 assistants announced so doesn't look like he was waiting to do them all at once .....

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Is there anything further on this? We've had 2 assistants announced so doesn't look like he was waiting to do them all at once .....

You're right there. So much for that info. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

19 hours ago, bulloni said:

I don't think Amir really prioritizes a true center. Last year he had a 9 man rotation and the biggest guy was 6'8 264. Brandon Stroud at 6'6 200 was the 3rd biggest guy in his rotation.

Lower levels don't get the good big men.  I see guys getting opportunities in lower end conferences that are very small overall.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,733
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Brad said:

Lower levels don't get the good big men.  I see guys getting drafted to lower end conferences that are very small overall.

Agree... If USF got a 6'9" guy back when we were in the Sunbelt I felt like we got a giant.