• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops roster-builder thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  776
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

i'm thinking the fact he grabbed a grad transfer PG with 1 year of eligibility is a sign he wants to set the tone year 1 and isn't waiting around for a rebuild

I agree with this assessment. He appears to be putting a roster together that would help him win now, as he rebuilds and develops players. Bringing 3 of his former players not only presents a solid core of players, but also helps to set the tone and culture of play on the court. It will help with buy-in for the new core of players.

I think that the current roster is already better than last years' roster. This roster has better shooters from long range and the FT line. It also has better scorers. I would not be surprised with 20 wins next season.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

8 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Do you realize that somebody has to lose in every game? If each team has 2-3 good players, one team still loses the game.

That's where  good coaching makes all the difference in the world.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,483
  • Days Won:  13

57 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I agree with this assessment. He appears to be putting a roster together that would help him win now, as he rebuilds and develops players. Bringing 3 of his former players not only presents a solid core of players, but also helps to set the tone and culture of play on the court. It will help with buy-in for the new core of players.

I think that the current roster is already better than last years' roster. This roster has better shooters from long range and the FT line. It also has better scorers. I would not be surprised with 20 wins next season.

So a 12-14 win team would be a complete failure right? That would indicate we hired the wrong guy yet again?

2 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

So a 12-14 win team would be a complete failure right? That would indicate we hired the wrong guy yet again?

I don't think it would be considered a failure. It would depend on many factors. For example, who is getting the playing time, decisions in games, etc. If Placer, Pryor, and Youngblood each average 5 mins per game and we only win 12 games, I would say it is a failure. If Tobiloba averages 32 mins per game and plays below average for a starter, I would not necessarily call it a failure if it helps develop him.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,483
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I don't think it would be considered a failure. It would depend on many factors. For example, who is getting the playing time, decisions in games, etc. If Placer, Pryor, and Youngblood each average 5 mins per game and we only win 12 games, I would say it is a failure. If Tobiloba averages 32 mins per game and plays below average for a starter, I would not necessarily call it a failure if it helps develop him.

but you said this roster is so much talent we could easily win 20 games. the roster is already so far ahead of last years in reference to talent per your previous post. 

I see you want to have it both ways, hype up the recruiting as being a major haul (I disagree) but then also defend him if he fails to get to atleast .500. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

3 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

but you said this roster is so much talent we could easily win 20 games. the roster is already so far ahead of last years in reference to talent per your previous post. 

I see you want to have it both ways, hype up the recruiting as being a major haul (I disagree) but then also defend him if he fails to get to atleast .500. 

I think its fair to set the year 1 goal at last years record.

If we go 14-18? I'll probably think he's better than Gregory, but will need another year to see if he's our guy or not.

If we do worse than that I think its fair to be pessimistic, if we win 15+ games year 1 I'll be excited for year 2.

19 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

I didn't say easily win 20 games; I said that I would not be surprised if they won 20. Big difference in what was written and what was interpreted.

Being more talented does not necessarily mean more wins. You still have to play other teams, which may still be more talented. You also need to play within a system, which may take time to develop.

18 minutes ago, bulloni said:

I think its fair to set the year 1 goal at last years record.

If we go 14-18? I'll probably think he's better than Gregory, but will need another year to see if he's our guy or not.

If we do worse than that I think its fair to be pessimistic, if we win 15+ games year 1 I'll be excited for year 2.

Don't forget that whether we win or lose a lot of games, we have practically a new roster. This is more difficult than just adding 3-4 players per year. Coach will need to find the best players to play with each other. Which group will work best when they are playing a quick team or a tall team, or an outstanding shooting team. Stuff like that, I imagine would need to be worked out more so with a new group of players than with a group with a few new players.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,126
  • Days Won:  56

17 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Don't forget that whether we win or lose a lot of games, we have practically a new roster. This is more difficult than just adding 3-4 players per year. Coach will need to find the best players to play with each other. Which group will work best when they are playing a quick team or a tall team, or an outstanding shooting team. Stuff like that, I imagine would need to be worked out more so with a new group of players than with a group with a few new players.

Practically everyone in college hoops is going to have to contend with the new roster every year concept. The ones that do will be successful. It definitely helps us that he's bringing three of his guys from KSU. That should help ease some of it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

35 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Practically everyone in college hoops is going to have to contend with the new roster every year concept. The ones that do will be successful. It definitely helps us that he's bringing three of his guys from KSU. That should help ease some of it.

Having Stroud and Youngblood on the team will help, and I think they have the talent to keep up in the AAC. Just not sure about the other recruits.

We will see.  Anything less than 14 to 16 wins would be disappointing. 

• Upvote 1