• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dok Muordar has entered the transfer portal

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

The most insightful and thought-compelling commentary on the internet is often found right here at TheBullsPen.

• Crying 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,034
  • Content Count:  7,513
  • Days Won:  10

21 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

After I had a few jobs while in high school at diner, McD's then a jewelry store(also while in college) I worked my whole 31 year career at 1 job. As you guys have said, different times.

One of the contributing factors to the lack of "loyalty" today is the disappearance of pension plans that rewarded that. I wonder if someone did a cost analysis between funding a pension and the salary/benefit increases necessitated after it isn't offered?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,059
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, Ricky the Bull said:

One of the contributing factors to the lack of "loyalty" today is the disappearance of pension plans that rewarded that. I wonder if someone did a cost analysis between funding a pension and the salary/benefit increases necessitated after it isn't offered?

We are mercenaries now.  Trying to get a little more independent of the corpos each day...  I think post Gen X it's not even a question as far as strategy goes.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

There's no loyalty because they are part the first generation that will be left worse off than their parents by nearly every socioeconomic and health measure, and the generations before them cleaned out the cupboards on the way out (if they aren't still hanging on to some executive title while being wheeled around like Bernie in Weekend at Bernie's). Wealth inequality has skyrocketed, and just a few select individuals and corporations control massive swaths of the economy. And the only interest those mega corporations have is wringing every last cent of value out of someone. College sports is just one exemplar of this.

Why shouldn't these guys transfer to a different school with one of the little windows of opportunity they may get? They need to maximize their shot. More power to them.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

19 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

There's no loyalty because they are part the first generation that will be left worse off than their parents by nearly every socioeconomic and health measure

That’s a great supposition. Fortunately, I’m in the minority. My kids are far better off than I was at their age (and through age 40 likely; also I am better off than my parents).  Sons have no use of drugs, no crime, no violence or victimhood, no sloth.  No excuses.   Each son pursuing his life with vigor.  So proud of them.  No privelege, or just not all the privileges some would assumed to be the reason for their success or based on their looks.  I feel bad for those that are drowning in the problems identified above

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,730
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Brad said:

That’s a great supposition. Fortunately, I’m in the minority. My kids are far better off than I was at their age (and through age 40 likely; also I am better off than my parents).  Sons have no use of drugs, no crime, no violence or victimhood, no sloth.  No excuses.   Each son pursuing his life with vigor.  So proud of them.  No privelege, or just not all the privileges some would assumed to be the reason for their success or based on their looks.  I feel bad for those that are drowning in the problems identified above

Sounds like they were raised right.

"Success looks easy to those that weren't there while it was being earned." 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t mean to say it’s all bad. You don’t give yourself enough credit. They have enormous privilege-we live in the most prosperous country in the world and I know from your posts over the years they have a dad that loves and cares for them. That gives them a leg up on almost everyone who’s ever lived. I’m trying to do the same for mine. But for lots of people (like me when I was younger, and possibly like this guy from Sudan) there is no safety net. I’m lucky to be in the position I’m in but many have had the dice fall the other direction. 

10 hours ago, Brad said:

That’s a great supposition

Opine Mode

Our quality of life is better in some materialistic ways, but I think it's worse net.  Technology is better and cheaper.  I guess maybe better food is available.  

If one monitors the various mental health statistics, family trends and whatnot, it's not great.  Not to mention that everyone we don't agree with is "literally" Hitler now.  Corporations seem to flaunt control over our minds and bodies more than even 10 years ago.  Someone will argue it's always been that way, but I was there too.  Housing is screwed and they won't let the air out of the balloon.  College is way overpriced for what it is now. 

Anyway, I would hate to be a kid right now in this era that didn't have a safety net.  Growing up with good parents and guidance would be a different experience, but starting out with no idea or network in this era wouldn't be great.  The only mitigating factor I guess is that you can learn anything for free on YouTube.  But now those same kids on YouTube report being more isolated than ever due to the Global Corporate Societal Atomization Quest (tm).  They want us not to be perfectly smooth and opinionless consumers on a hamster wheel paying rent.  

8 hours ago, WWMJD said:

But for lots of people (like me when I was younger,

Same!  Having no money or network puts one at a huge disadvantage because you don't know what you don't know.  And there's a gravitational pull to not take risks and bets on yourself.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  1

So besides the players  he had at the old school, I’m not seeing any buzz of anybody else signing. There is a lot good players in the portal and they are signing with other schools daily.

Memphis picked up 2 of Temple’s best players from the portal,  appears they will be pretty good next year with the freshman class they have coming in and the transfer portal players they just signed. 

there is no way he could of talked this kid into coming back to his home town to play? 

993E667B-A8D7-40B1-A624-43893CA4AE68.jpeg