• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball turf going in

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

I'm also curious if this change would allow some softball games with larger crowds to be played there, or softball tournaments to allow for two venues.  Since the whole turf would be in the infield, you could configure the softball bases and such and put a temporary fence in the outfield.

Edited by bull2saintleo

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

The outfield is still grass.  Many of our conference opponents have turf too,  (Wichita St, Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulane) come to mind.  I especially don't like that the mound, basepaths, and batters box will not be traditional clay but I guess the almighty dollar is the reason for the change.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,038
  • Days Won:  469

It’s a **** eyesore.  

• Topic Count:  602
  • Content Count:  16,379
  • Days Won:  43

MLB>NCAA Baseball. Wooden Bats>Aluminum Bats, Grass & Clay Fields > Artificial Fields

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

MLB>NCAA Baseball. Wooden Bats>Aluminum Bats, Grass & Clay Fields > Artificial Fields

Try watching a 4.25 hour MLB game. College baseball isn't a lot quicker but not quite as bad as the pros. 

As to real grass, I remember going to my first night game at Connie Mack stadium as a kid and just being mesmerized walking out and seeing how green the grass looked under the lights.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096

4 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

MLB has plenty of turf fields, and not just in the only fixed dome Tropicana Field.  Toronto, Miami, Arizona, and Texas have turf as well with their retractible roofs.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,912
  • Days Won:  33

13 hours ago, JoeB said:

The outfield is still grass.  Many of our conference opponents have turf too,  (Wichita St, Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulane) come to mind.  I especially don't like that the mound, basepaths, and batters box will not be traditional clay but I guess the almighty dollar is the reason for the change.

Long range plan is for the entire field to be turf.

From the Master Plan page on gousfbulls.com - 

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  849

20 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Long range plan is for the entire field to be turf.

From the Master Plan page on gousfbulls.com - 

Hey John - out of all of the upgrades listed in the master plan, how much of the expenses are earmarked already? Or are we fundraising for nearly all of it still? (Also, I do not see anything that says baseball outfield goes to turf in Phases 1, 2, nor 3, I may have missed something though.)

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,912
  • Days Won:  33

1 minute ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Hey John - out of all of the upgrades listed in the master plan, how much of the expenses are earmarked already? Or are we fundraising for nearly all of it still? (Also, I do not see anything that says baseball outfield goes to turf in Phases 1, 2, nor 3, I may have missed something though.)

We will be fundraising for all of it.

They started with the infield for Baseball from the gift given last year. Coach Mohl does want the entire field to be turf as soon as we have the $$$ for it.

As the slides indicate from the master plan, Baseball and Softball will eventually have a clubhouse our between their respective stadiums in the future.

• Upvote 1