• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball turf going in

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

We will be fundraising for all of it.

They started with the infield for Baseball from the gift given last year. Coach Mohl does want the entire field to be turf as soon as we have the $$$ for it.

As the slides indicate from the master plan, Baseball and Softball will eventually have a clubhouse our between their respective stadiums in the future.

Can't wait for the development for baseball/softball. That performance facility/clubhouse should be great. Guilty pleasure is watching the facility tours for the big baseball programs, Vandy/USC/Clemson - we will be there some day, hopefully soon. Omaha first! 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Having played baseball back in the day, are metal spikes still allowed?  Would seem awfully helpful in the outfield but not welcome on the turf. I suppose that's why the dirt in the infield doesn't co-exist with turf in the infield.  I don't know, just thinking about moving to artificial surfaces...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Having played baseball back in the day, are metal spikes still allowed?  Would seem awfully helpful in the outfield but not welcome on the turf. I suppose that's why the dirt in the infield doesn't co-exist with turf in the infield.  I don't know, just thinking about moving to artificial surfaces...

Really good question.

I'll ask Coach next time he swings through our office.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

Will be a weird dynamic, wont it? Spikes on the outfielders, but turf shoes/rubber cleats on infielders? I'm not a turf connoisseur but have to imagine it's different than football? Not a big fan of a turf infield but if it's a smart business move, then have to trust it. Also, the Bulls script looks awesome. 

1 minute ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Also, the Bulls script looks awesome. 

This for sure. 

It was the first thought I had after, I hope that's not a turf mound... 😂

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

5 hours ago, bull2saintleo said:

MLB has plenty of turf fields, and not just in the only fixed dome Tropicana Field.  Toronto, Miami, Arizona, and Texas have turf as well with their retractible roofs.

Doesn’t matter. MLB is probably one of the best if not the best professional leagues in the history of the world. Too much history. The best. Nothing comes close not even sex…..,

Professional also?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,368
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Normally they are not allowed on turf surfaces.  At least the ones that I have coached on.   There have been a few exceptions, but most of the time it is not an advantage really on the turf.  I will say that it can be a challenge on those mixed turf/clay fields at times.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

5 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Try watching a 4.25 hour MLB game. College baseball isn't a lot quicker but not quite as bad as the pros. 

As to real grass, I remember going to my first night game at Connie Mack stadium as a kid and just being mesmerized walking out and seeing how green the grass looked under the lights.  

Yeah for those 4.25 hr games I find it is better to be at those games as it gives more time for the baseball stadium entertainment. I am curious to see how the new rules are going to speed up the games.  Pitch counts and limited amount of times a pitcher can throw over to 1st base when the runner is on. I foresee a lot more stolen bases this upcoming season 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,657
  • Days Won:  6

7 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

Pitch counts and limited amount of times a pitcher can throw over to 1st base when the runner is on. I foresee a lot more stolen bases this upcoming season 

And with bigger bases the runner is 4 1/2 inches closer from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. So yes, definitely more stolen bases.

Edited by 79 Bull