• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

He wasn't kidding (re: recruiting)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,823
  • Days Won:  22

I think that now with the Transfer Portal in the mix. You have to weigh what positions and offers you can give to HS recruits that might need one or two years to produce and what offers you need to go thru portal to instantly plug holes in your team.

If you look at positions like OL and DL. Few if any HS kids we can recruit would have an immediate impact. If you look at other positions like the skills positions is more likely a HS grad can step in.

So as he looks over roster, he is probably creating a number that he would need from TF and a number from HS rank.

With the situation on our team with DL, LB and OL, I’m thinking he will lean more on TF this year to plug holes

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Days Won:  5

So what’s it looking like as far as who’s declared for the portal? Seems like not too many. Maybe the kids know something too? Like he’s real deal. I was wrong with my initial thought on CG

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

8 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

I think that now with the Transfer Portal in the mix. You have to weigh what positions and offers you can give to HS recruits that might need one or two years to produce and what offers you need to go thru portal to instantly plug holes in your team.

If you look at positions like OL and DL. Few if any HS kids we can recruit would have an immediate impact. If you look at other positions like the skills positions is more likely a HS grad can step in.

So as he looks over roster, he is probably creating a number that he would need from TF and a number from HS rank.

With the situation on our team with DL, LB and OL, I’m thinking he will lean more on TF this year to plug holes

Yes at this point he is probably still assessing what he has and what he needs. That will take some time. My biggest worry about having gone with an OC vs having gone with an experienced HC is connections. Still remains to be seen whether coach Golesh has the connections to bring in high level recruits. So far I have not been impressed with the assistant coaching hires, as it seems to have come down to a small group of candidates; mostly FAU rethreads, or promoting people he knows from Tennessee.  However a few big recruits committing to USF could change my mind instantly.

15 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Yes at this point he is probably still assessing what he has and what he needs. That will take some time. My biggest worry about having gone with an OC vs having gone with an experienced HC is connections. Still remains to be seen whether coach Golesh has the connections to bring in high level recruits. So far I have not been impressed with the assistant coaching hires, as it seems to have come down to a small group of candidates; mostly FAU rethreads, or promoting people he knows from Tennessee.  However a few big recruits committing to USF could change my mind instantly.

None of us knows for sure until he starts recruiting and playing games. Until then it’s just our opinions. Orlando and Patrick with you may call “ FAU retreads” have actually a longer resume than just FAU and have been successful in the past.

Our first key will be who he can get from transfer portal and HS recruiting. The transfer portal can work well if you look at what SMU did in past three years, they were in top 20 each year in it and brought in 18 guys first year and turned their team around.

I would think that Coach G will have to go heavier with transfer portal in year 1 than most fans would like. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Cubanbull said:

None of us knows for sure until he starts recruiting and playing games. Until then it’s just our opinions. Orlando and Patrick with you may call “ FAU retreads” have actually a longer resume than just FAU and have been successful in the past.

Our first key will be who he can get from transfer portal and HS recruiting. The transfer portal can work well if you look at what SMU did in past three years, they were in top 20 each year in it and brought in 18 guys first year and turned their team around.

I would think that Coach G will have to go heavier with transfer portal in year 1 than most fans would like. 

They are both retreads and could work out. Being a fau retread and being successful at USF are two different things. 

5 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

They are both retreads and could work out. Being a fau retread and being successful at USF are two different things. 

And as I said, they have more in their resume than just “ FAU retreads” and whether they work at USF will be determined once they start playing, not by online fans.

3 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

And as I said, they have more in their resume than just “ FAU retreads” and whether they work at USF will be determined once they start playing, not by online fans.

This is true but  the FAU retreads failed miserably last time. Lets hope this guy and his staff are the opposite of Jeff Scott.

5 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

This is true but  the FAU retreads failed miserably last time. Lets hope this guy and his staff are the opposite of Jeff Scott.

Only time will tell, they are all different individuals

24 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Only time will tell, they are all different individuals

Agree. I also just left your neck of Georgia. I left the mountains this morning and made it back to Florida.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

50 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

I agree, and in the end whatever ones opinion we are all hoping that the new hires work out. I cant wait to start winning again, and hopefully sooner then later.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1