• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who is going to replace Gregory?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805
  • Days Won:  0

USF or mainly the state of Florida is not a basketball destination.  We have to get someone who has keen eye for hidden talent and development. As well as scheme for not having the biggest and most talented players. Hard task for sure but much like Coach Jef Scott and football you cant come here duplicate Duke or Kentucky and think you are going to win with sub par 3 stars.  Man the last 4 stars we got couldnt even shoot. WHo evaluated these guys? 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Hate to say it but we need to recruit better locally. we don't need highly rated recruits from all over just kids that can play well together as a team. Some of our best players throughout our history have been from this area. Reggie Kohn, Terrance Leather, Ray Lewis, Dominique Jones, Chucky Atkins,Charlie Bradley, etc

Derrick Sharp's kid is at Houston. Ray Lewis has a kid tearing it up in high school now. Tampa Catholic has a top 10 junior in Knox.

Not saying we will land a lot of the top stars but get a good core group from the area that have played with and against each other for a long time.

It was clear last night these players haven't played much together. Turnovers and defensive rebounding was atrocious.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

If only we fired him at the end of last year we could have had Frank Martin.

Don't think recruiting locally matters as much for basketball when the classes are only about 2 people a year.

1 minute ago, bulloni said:

If only we fired him at the end of last year we could have had Frank Martin.

Don't think recruiting locally matters as much for basketball when the classes are only about 2 people a year.

disagree. like I said some of our best teams were built with local players,

Tchewa got stuck in Cameroon this summer. I imagine most of these guys played together for the first time just within the last month or so. local players can play together all offseason.

interesting that Bryant (south carolina transfer)who looked pretty good is from winter haven.

The team last night looked disjointed. Like they really haven't played together. It makes a huge difference in basketball. It's why they turned the ball over so much.

if we could sign top national players then maybe but in order for usf to build a good team we need them to play together.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

BRING BACK TAGGART! That gulf coast offense on the hardwood floor would be lethal. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,652
  • Days Won:  424

29 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Hate to say it but we need to recruit better locally. we don't need highly rated recruits from all over just kids that can play well together as a team. Some of our best players throughout our history have been from this area. Reggie Kohn, Terrance Leather, Ray Lewis, Dominique Jones, Chucky Atkins,Charlie Bradley, etc

Derrick Sharp's kid is at Houston. Ray Lewis has a kid tearing it up in high school now. Tampa Catholic has a top 10 junior in Knox.

Not saying we will land a lot of the top stars but get a good core group from the area that have played with and against each other for a long time.

It was clear last night these players haven't played much together. Turnovers and defensive rebounding was atrocious.

I think some of that has to do with the exposure players have now compared to back when most of those players came here. It’s going to be tough to keep really really good players here because of that nationwide exposure unless/until our program is a lot higher profile. Do agree with Bulloni, though, that it’s not as critical about the BayMade for hoops with the limited recruits every year. 
And it took me a few minutes, but I assume ‘Ray’ Lewis is Fred Lewis?

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Maybe if the Bulls suck this year and Billy Donovan gets fired we can convince him to come back to college.

38 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think some of that has to do with the exposure players have now compared to back when most of those players came here. It’s going to be tough to keep really really good players here because of that nationwide exposure unless/until our program is a lot higher profile. Do agree with Bulloni, though, that it’s not as critical about the BayMade for hoops with the limited recruits every year. 
And it took me a few minutes, but I assume ‘Ray’ Lewis is Fred Lewis?

oops yeah fred lewis. I just think basketball is a team sport. Sure if you can get Lebron then it doesn't matter if he plays with his supporting cast but I see it all the time in high school basketball. Teams that play together in the off season are much better than teams that don't. our team last night looked like a team that really hasn't played together all that much. Turnovers are a result of that.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

USF or mainly the state of Florida is not a basketball destination.  We have to get someone who has keen eye for hidden talent and development. As well as scheme for not having the biggest and most talented players. Hard task for sure but much like Coach Jef Scott and football you cant come here duplicate Duke or Kentucky and think you are going to win with sub par 3 stars.  Man the last 4 stars we got couldnt even shoot. WHo evaluated these guys? 

florida,fsu and miami regularly make it to the tournament

florida is great for all sports

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, smazza said:

florida,fsu and miami regularly make it to the tournament

florida is great for all sports

They do okay.  They are no UNC Duke or Kentucky.   Its a hard to state to get completive players to come to.  Even Billy Donovan's 2 championships had players from all over the country.  The recruiting bed is small here in Florida.  You have to do more with less is all I am saying.