• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who is going to replace Gregory?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

They do okay.  They are no UNC Duke or Kentucky.   Its a hard to state to get completive players to come to.  Even Billy Donovan's 2 championships had players from all over the country.  The recruiting bed is small here in Florida.  You have to do more with less is all I am saying. 

not really the case anymore. 9 of the top 100 espn high school players are in florida. 5 of the top 60 in next years class are from florida. That's close to 10% per year. I get that we won't compete for the top players but plenty of good basketball is being played in this state.

BTW Gators had 7 players from this state on their 05-06 team that won national championship and 6 on their 06-07 team.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

not really the case anymore. 9 of the top 100 espn high school players are in florida. 5 of the top 60 in next years class are from florida. That's close to 10% per year. I get that we won't compete for the top players but plenty of good basketball is being played in this state.

BTW Gators had 7 players from this state on their 05-06 team that won national championship and 6 on their 06-07 team.

One starter from that championship team was from Florida (Taurean Green)

5 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

One starter from that championship team was from Florida (Taurean Green)

so 20% of the starters on the championship team were from florida....

his first signed recruit was teddy dupay from florida. led them to championship game.

maybe I'm just nostalgic for the good old days when we had solid local kids play for us.

seems like he is just trying to put together an "all-star" team every year and they never seem to be able to play good team basketball.

the turnovers and sloppy play last night could possibly be because they never play together. you can't just throw 5 guys on the court and expect them to play well as a team.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

so 20% of the starters on the championship team were from florida....

his first signed recruit was teddy dupay from florida. led them to championship game.

maybe I'm just nostalgic for the good old days when we had solid local kids play for us.

seems like he is just trying to put together an "all-star" team every year and they never seem to be able to play good team basketball.

the turnovers and sloppy play last night could possibly be because they never play together. you can't just throw 5 guys on the court and expect them to play well as a team.

I dont know if he (Gregory) knows what he is trying to do.  He certainly hasnt had any shooters.  At least with Stan Heath you knew we were a defense first team. Gregory has no identity. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I dont know if he (Gregory) knows what he is trying to do.  He certainly hasnt had any shooters.  At least with Stan Heath you knew we were a defense first team. Gregory has no identity. 

You must not have followed CBG’s tenure here. He has the same identity as Stan ….

2 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I just don't see good team basketball. Where guys know how their teammates play. Great Rhythm and flow. Last night was disjointed. Out of control at times. Guys making good cuts and teammates not knowing to look for them or making a bad pass thinking they were going somewhere else.

the defensive rebounding was atrocious. No way that should have happened against that team. turnovers killed us. That being said maybe they will start to gel.They just need time to figure each other out.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I just don't see good team basketball. Where guys know how their teammates play. Great Rhythm and flow. Last night was disjointed. Out of control at times. Guys making good cuts and teammates not knowing to look for them or making a bad pass thinking they were going somewhere else.

Brief off-topic:  We had a discussion a while back about the degradation of basketball.  I saw it at the high school level.  So much dependence on "club ball" where no one learns anything but to run up and down (when you feel like it), dunk and feign injury.  Sort of like the NBA game.  I watch Arizona State games occasionally.  Coached by Bobby Hurley.  It seems he has sort of given up on those things you describe and just lets them run.  It's like a pick up game.  It's also why they almost lost last night to Tarleton State.  Club coaches don't do many favors for the kids, except help them get a schollie so the club coaches can get more players and fees.  Am I jaded? Probably.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,415
  • Days Won:  43

USF hoops has great facilities 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Brief off-topic:  We had a discussion a while back about the degradation of basketball.  I saw it at the high school level.  So much dependence on "club ball" where no one learns anything but to run up and down (when you feel like it), dunk and feign injury.  Sort of like the NBA game.  I watch Arizona State games occasionally.  Coached by Bobby Hurley.  It seems he has sort of given up on those things you describe and just lets them run.  It's like a pick up game.  It's also why they almost lost last night to Tarleton State.  Club coaches don't do many favors for the kids, except help them get a schollie so the club coaches can get more players and fees.  Am I jaded? Probably.  

You are correct.   I'm a baseball guy and it is the same thing now.  It's amazing to me what high school coaches have to teach at that level because of the lack of real coaching in travel ball.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brad said:

I couldn't agree more with this. My son is in high school. Just played with a team this past summer. It was the worst team basketball I have ever seen played and the coach encouraged it. Nobody was willing to do the little things it takes for a team to win. It was all iso "look at me" ball. No extra passes, no boxing out, no hustling back on defense. The first one to touch the ball in the front court shot it.The kids only cared about one thing and that was how many points they scored.

It's a shame because basketball played the right way is a thing of beauty.

• Upvote 1