• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Replacements for Jeff Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This Frost stuff has got to stop ..... He is Chuck 2.0 and the only rebuild he did at UCF was bring in MM. The Kanigits were 21-5 the two years previous to their 0fer. The foundation was already there.

Frost did build the offense that they have been running ever since. With that said, I'm against the hire. He still has affinity for Oviedo. I'd rather go back to the days that they didn't exist. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201

Frost isn't the guy. It be one thing if he went to Nebraska and was getting 6 to 9 wins a year and they got tied of that.  

He was bad at Nebraska. Hard pass. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,141
  • Days Won:  39

18 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Frost isn't the guy. It be one thing if he went to Nebraska and was getting 6 to 9 wins a year and they got tied of that.  

He was bad at Nebraska. Hard pass. 

This would be a Charlie Strong like situation.  He was good at UF and Louisville, and bad at Texas, so maybe he would be good again back in FL. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

1. Someone who has been a HC. The fact that people are naming first and second year coordinators is killing me.

2. Someone who can do more with less. No people from elite teams like Clemson where you just ask a donor for $5m whenever you want. 

3. Someone who will make the most of Tampa and USFs competitive advantages. They're there despite what some downers here on the board say. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Days Won:  0

1. Ed Orgeron - The guy just loves football and wants to coach again.  He has already won a National Championship at LSU (nothing left to prove) and also won at other stops such as Southern Cal.  Has made plenty of money and seems like the type that would prefer to win on a smaller level without all of the pressure of P5 as long as he's coaching.

2. Jim Leavitt - It's possible now that we have a completely new admin, and it would excite the fanbase.  But something tells me that even though he would give his all, he would never be able to rekindle that flame and recapture what was lost.  Still, its worth a shot. 

3. Tom Herman, Bryan Harsin, Matt Rhule - All won on our level and found out that the grass isn't always greener when your competition is elite.  I would include Frost in this, but my gut tells me that his success had more to do with MM than with his coaching ability.  Rhule, IMO, is the least likely of this bunch to be interested.

Others:

Deion will NOT come to USF - and furthermore, I personally don't want him.  He may get good recruits, but its not sustainable.  I imagine the character/culture gains we did make under CJS (perhaps the only positive he did while he was here) would be a complete 180 under Prime Time.  Plus, I don't think he's a good coach - just a good recruiter.  At some point, his competition level will even the playing field.  It's not difficult to win at FCS with a few outstanding recruits - but when you are playing with other equally talented teams, then X's and O's are much more important.

Urban Meyer, Jon Gruden, Art Briles - No.  Just...no.

Kenny Dillingham, Alex Atkins, Alex Golesh, Todd Monken - There is a lot of potential here.  High risk/high reward.  But how much of their success as coordinators is them and how much is their HC or system?  And you know that USF would just be a quick stepping stone for these guys.

Manny Diaz, Dan Mullen - No feeling one way or another on these.  Not sure they'd be interested in the job anyway.

Tom Allen - Would love this hire (would love to see some FIRE on the sidelines again) but unless he's fired, I don't see him leaving his Alma Mater.

Justin Fuente - Never cared for him.  Thought he was overrated and lucky.

Robert Weiner, Shaun King - Always had a good feeling about them, but it's a big risk.  They do know Tampa though.

Larry Scott, Danny Verpaele, Auggie Sanchez, Marquel Blackwell - USF connections but I just don't think they'd succeed here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473

The reason I think Frost is because he’s won at our level. He was close at Nebraska and feel like in some ways it wasn’t all on him. I wouldn’t mind the hire but maybe there is someone better. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever asked (really, honest-to-God, straight up) Leavitt if he would consider returning to coach at U of SF? Not asking your opinion if xCJL would come back, but what is HIS take on returning to USF. The reason I ask this is there is a lot of keyboarding, and shooting salt water from tear ducts, pining over the good ole days. It seems to me that if - huge, enormous if - USF were to entertain re-hiring xCJL, would there be an apology in the offing? Or is simply re-hiring him an apology enough? Is it a case of "aw shucks, how’s 'bout we just let bygones be bygones"? It could well be that xCJL has put USF in the rear-view mirror and feelings of nostalgia might not run both ways, or certainly not as deep. 

What would happen, since we're all just spitballin' here, if CJL 2.0 doesn't have the same magic / mojo / success as the original recipe? Don't say "Oh, but if we could just get three or four wins a season that would be such a phenomenal improvement, we'd be happy with that!" Un uh. Not buying it. Seems to me that the subject of ‘plateauing’ came up some years back…hmmm, trying to remember the context of that 🤔. I know, I know, some of you like to pine over romance of yesteryear, but I just don't think hitting the replay button is the way to go.  Find some guy who’s been a head coach at the sub-FBS division, a proven track record of winning and wants to coach here at USF (even though it's an audition for the bigs, we all know it). Apparently, there is a huge chasm between being assistant deputy vice undersecretary for football offensive operations (shortened to co-coordinator) and being a head coach in FBSland. Lesson learned, improve the next time around. 😎

When your significant other cheats on you and you split up...but then they realize they made a mistake and beg you to take them back.  Your broken heart causes you to try to forgive and forget in hopes of just picking up where you left off.  So you take them back.  But something has changed.  You've fallen out of love.  And try as you might, you can never rekindle that flame.  I'm afraid that's what would happen if we rehired CJL.  Sure, we'll always be his first love.  But that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, USFguy1977 said:

1. Ed Orgeron - The guy just loves football and wants to coach again.  He has already won a National Championship at LSU (nothing left to prove) and also won at other stops such as Southern Cal.  Has made plenty of money and seems like the type that would prefer to win on a smaller level without all of the pressure of P5 as long as he's coaching.

2. Jim Leavitt - It's possible now that we have a completely new admin, and it would excite the fanbase.  But something tells me that even though he would give his all, he would never be able to rekindle that flame and recapture what was lost.  Still, its worth a shot. 

3. Tom Herman, Bryan Harsin, Matt Rhule - All won on our level and found out that the grass isn't always greener when your competition is elite.  I would include Frost in this, but my gut tells me that his success had more to do with MM than with his coaching ability.  Rhule, IMO, is the least likely of this bunch to be interested.

Others:

Deion will NOT come to USF - and furthermore, I personally don't want him.  He may get good recruits, but its not sustainable.  I imagine the character/culture gains we did make under CJS (perhaps the only positive he did while he was here) would be a complete 180 under Prime Time.  Plus, I don't think he's a good coach - just a good recruiter.  At some point, his competition level will even the playing field.  It's not difficult to win at FCS with a few outstanding recruits - but when you are playing with other equally talented teams, then X's and O's are much more important.

Kenny Dillingham, Alex Atkins, Alex Golesh, Todd Monken - There is a lot of potential here.  High risk/high reward.  But how much of their success as coordinators is them and how much is their HC or system?  And you know that USF would just be a quick stepping stone for these guys.

Manny Diaz, Dan Mullen - No feeling one way or another on these.  Not sure they'd be interested in the job anyway.

Tom Allen - Would love this hire (would love to see some FIRE on the sidelines again) but unless he's fired, I don't see him leaving his Alma Mater.

Robert Weiner, Shaun King - Always had a good feeling about them, but it's a big risk.  They do know Tampa though.

Larry Scott, Danny Verpaele, Auggie Sanchez, Marquel Blackwell - USF connections but I just don't think they'd succeed here.

Curious about why you think Sanders would be a bad influence on the culture? Watch the 60 Minutes segment on him. I was pretty impressed.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, USFguy1977 said:

When your significant other cheats on you and you split up...but then they realize they made a mistake and beg you to take them back.  Your broken heart causes you to try to forgive and forget in hopes of just picking up where you left off.  So you take them back.  But something has changed.  You've fallen out of love.  And try as you might, you can never rekindle that flame.  I'm afraid that's what would happen if we rehired CJL.  Sure, we'll always be his first love.  But that ship has sailed.

Or, you bought your dream home with her, then she was not part of that picture anymore. Maybe you would attempt to get it back.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

15 minutes ago, USFguy1977 said:

Others:

Leavitt is the only candidate you have listed that would bring excitement back to USF football.