• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Coach Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, CycleBull said:

Edit - What happened at Texas changed him. That wasn’t the environment for him or most to succeed.

Sure, but we had to price to pay for hiring a shell of a coach. Not only did he progressively get worse after QF left, but he sounded like a bumbling fool who would put all the blame on his players after every loss. He could not answer a press question clearly to save his life, and constantly throw his players under the bus until they stopped playing for him. It was evident he did not give a **** about the USF program from his crappy recruiting. Whatever happened at Texas, USF paid the price.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  774
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, zarnozdabull said:

Sure, but we had to price to pay for hiring a shell of a coach. Not only did he progressively get worse after QF left, but he sounded like a bumbling fool who would put all the blame on his players after every loss. He could not answer a press question clearly to save his life, and constantly throw his players under the bus until they stopped playing for him. It was evident he did not give a **** about the USF program from his crappy recruiting. Whatever happened at Texas, USF paid the price.

100%. I was yelling in the stands that he needed to go. But, his stint here doesn’t mean that the man can’t or hasn’t been able to coach. 

Edited by CycleBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,616
  • Days Won:  25

59 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Already lost that one. Assume you're talking Tulsa.

Yeah  i meant tulsa

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

10 minutes ago, CycleBull said:

100%. I was yelling in the stands that he needed to go. But, his stint here doesn’t mean that the man can’t or hasn’t been able to coach. 

This is my opinion on the Charlie Strong story. I was happy when we hired him, thought he would do better here based on his roots in Florida and being a pretty good coach at UF and UL.

He was a great recruiter for UF and a good DC for them. He also had a chip on his shoulder because he wanted and should have gotten many chances at HC before Louisville.

At UL, he had Clint Hurrt recruiting for him, maybe blurring the lines of what was legal at the time, but they brought in good players and Strong was a good enough coach that when his players had significantly more talent than the opponents, his teams would win. He is relatively conservative (as most defensive coaches are) and it worked out. He was still recruiting Florida heavily.

Texas shows up with a bunch of money, Strong moved up by his recruiting more than anything, but it was a new ball game, no connections there, and he failed. Probably would have been better with more time, but Texas isn't in the business of more time.

Here, I honestly think 2 things happened. I think he lost some of his fire, or had an ego and didn't think he needed to put in the work after proving himself already in life. I think he thought this job was beneath him and wanted to get out as quick as possible. Second, I think he probably recruited against himself. Already thinking the job was beneath him, he looked at recruits and though that they could do better, like UF or Louisville, why should he waste his resources pursuing a recruit that was "too good" to come to USF? Overall, I think his ego was too big for this job.

Not having really followed him closely before he was here, I wonder if he was always so emotionless and if that has worked against him to an extent throughout his career.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

or had an ego and didn't think he needed to put in the work after proving himself already in life.

This happens in corporate world too and it is funny/tragic.  🤔

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,368
  • Days Won:  5

22 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

You know... you can both be right. The quality QB allowed Strongs defenses to play with the lead and also maintain time of possession to keep defense fresh. Saw it here with Q, he wanted to slow everything down and really improved defensive metrics in year 1. 

I didn't make the facts .. I just reported them.  Strong was a sub-.500 head coach when his starting QB was not named Bridgewater or Flowers. 

Like I said, he was a good defensive coach, but a mediocre HC and he sent our program into a downward spiral which is all I really care about.  Sorry if the facts upset some

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Opinions abound. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Scott isn’t going to get fired through the end of next year no matter what. All the injuries they’ve had has given Kelly a ready made excuse to keep him around through 2023. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Scott isn’t going to get fired through the end of next year no matter what. All the injuries they’ve had has given Kelly a ready made excuse to keep him around through 2023. 

I believe he will be back for 2023 but he may be gone if he gets off to another 1-6 start next season. Thankfully we have a former head coach Chad Morris that can step in if needed. Hopefully Scott turns it around next season and then we are set for a long time. Loyalty 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

On 10/17/2022 at 9:25 PM, olafberserker said:

I didn't make the facts .. I just reported them.  Strong was a sub-.500 head coach when his starting QB was not named Bridgewater or Flowers. 

Like I said, he was a good defensive coach, but a mediocre HC and he sent our program into a downward spiral which is all I really care about.  Sorry if the facts upset some

Now do CWT with that same criteria and watch people cry