• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We all need to get better…..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, HyperBullee said:

The recency bias on this board is astounding considering how many members have degrees.

Timmy was an awful decision maker (yes, as a true freshman for what that’s worth) and relied primarily on his legs which got him into more trouble than not. We saw concrete evidence that his running didn’t amount to much.

GB has been a bit antsy with putting force on his throws. The vast majority of them heading in the right direction and hitting receivers right in the hands; receivers just weren’t/aren’t catching these 50/50 balls. That can be corrected. He made A TON of plays last night that I’m confident Timmy just wouldn’t have made.

Considering the praise this coaching staff and team is receiving for last night’s game, people are choosing to forget that the coaches went with GB for a myriad of transparent reasons. It was made clear early in camp and coaches and players are on record making it clear that GB was the leader (and best player) for the team at QB.

Rewatching the game and not even 10 minutes in we had at least two missed catches. One was Battie on a slant that was directly to him in stride, and the other was questionable to Weaver who had to jump and try to get it, but still hit both hands and went through them. Honestly tired of the GB hate. I’m not defending his bad throws when he’s definitely made more than a few, but to say “I don’t think he’s the guy” when he’s the most talented QB we’ve had since Flowers is just a dumb, ill informed take. He was a large reason we were even in the game last night. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,465
  • Days Won:  43

6 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Lol you think Marsh is then? I’m more than happy with Bohanon. As many bad throws as he’s had, we’ve also had some terrible drops. He’s in no way the reason we lost last night. 

Exactly!! GB seems to not let the drops & Ints rattle him which is what USF needs at QB rn tbh.  I Bullieve the TD passes will start showing up as we move along with the schedule.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,059
  • Days Won:  469

Gerry sailed a number of passes.  He needs to make an adjustment, hopefully our coaches pick up the throwing motion problem.  In no way do I think Timmy is better.  Gerry, unpanicked and composed, is what nearly led us  to a win.  I look forward to his improvement next week - he's the right guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

GB may not be as fast is Timmy however he’s way more instinctual.  The 4th down and 2 where he snuck up the middle was pure instinct.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,166
  • Days Won:  56

Just now, Brad said:

Gerry sailed a number of passes.  He needs to make an adjustment, hopefully our coaches pick up the throwing motion problem.  In no way do I think Timmy is better.  Gerry, unpanicked and composed, is what led us nearly to a win.  I look forward to his improvement next week - he's the right guy.

This. Brad is right on. If GB can get those overthrows fixed he’ll be just fine as a passer and you can see all the other intangibles. We can win with this guy, for sure.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, jg233 said:

Gerry is bigger and didn't shy away from contact last night, but McClain has more big play possibilities with his legs.  He has more speed.  He ran for his life last year.  Gerry has been very unimpressive so far.  I would be getting Byrum Brown ready to play if I were Scott.  The defense isn't good enough to have Gerry give the other team 10 or so points every game.

“McClain has more big play possibilities with his legs.” 

I’m sorry, what? 100% hypothetical and based on zero evidence. His final two games at USF he had negative rushing yards. GB just had a 100 yard rushing game against a ranked SEC team on the road. Don’t even try to blame all of the bad rushing play from TM on OLine, considering you can go back and easily watch how bad his decision making was. This OLine, who is largely the same as last year, didn’t magically get that much better overnight. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, jg233 said:

Passing...Gerry runs well.  McClain with an improved oline would have been better at both based on what we have seen so far imo.  53% completions 0 tds and 4 picks is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Bohanon was better by far in the pre-season. His completion percentage was 13 points higher than any other QB, including Timmy. Who knows what last night would have looked like with Timmy at QB, but I guess it's irrelevant now. GBs passing numbers were  better last year at Baylor, and he has a lot to work with on offense here. Just a matter of getting in sync with a new set of receivers.  I think Scott chose the right guy at QB, but can't really argue that he's been underwhelming so far. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

I think it is funny how rationality is viewed by some on this board (and pretty much in society these days) as a bad thing.  I have supported the Bulls for a half century with my fandom, my attendance, my money and, I dare say, a lot more work than most.  I saw the steps forward last night and applaud them.  I hope that continues throughout the season.  And I continue to support the Bulls on all fronts, but I refuse to consider myself a fair-weather fan because I'm not giddy over a loss that we had every chance to win and didn't.  Well-intentioned, thoughtful criticism is not a sin, nor is tempered optimism.

That said, I don't credit any one coach, kid or unit with our successes or blame them for our losses.  It is a team game.  And while I generally loathe refs, blaming them for this loss is a copout.  We could have won but, as a team, we didn't.  I believe, that as a team, we can if we just knock out some of our much too common mistakes and lapses of judgment and concentration.

Since the start of the season my optimism has grown somewhat that we can be respectable this year.  I will continue to hope for the best and support the Bulls in my own way.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

Gerry is a cool character...that is what impresses me most...he stays focused it seems at all times...

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  12,597
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, smazza said:

we lost the game so many times

so many blown opportunities

we are great at losing

we simply dont know how to win

It is true until it is not. Last night Scott and his staff really stepped up.  I would never think a SEC team in their own stadium would need the refs to fix the game to beat Jeff Scott at Usf. If the refs are not fined  or reprimanded that is sad. I never thought Bias sec  announcers and former players would call out Sec refs like they did either.

• Upvote 1