• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott at 8/1 to be fired

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, cophbulls said:

So, I may as well throw in my two cents, everyone else is. You know what the main difference between USF Football and almost all the other sports in our department? Lack of continuity at the HC position, which seems to me, is directly related to success. 

Jose Fernandez - 20 years - His first three seasons - 25-57
Denise Schulte-Brown - 16 year - Her first two seasons - 14-20-4
Ken Eriksen has retired obvs. but he coached that softball team for 22 years
Billy Mohl is coming up on his 8th season with the baseball team, 5th as HC

All of the above have had success in their programs because there was stability. Stability breeds success not the other way around.

Scott, 2 whole seasons in and you guys want him fired. It's BS, I don't care who you bring in to coach, when you are starting from zero, in football, there is low probability you are going to have success in 2 years, especially when there was nothing there to start with. McClain is a effin Freshman and he is no *enter Heisman QB name here* but he has a **** ton of potential, for God's sake, give him some continuity and maybe he will be our next Matt Grothe. I say, not only keep Scott, give him a contract extension, show the team that the the administration is stabilizing the situation. IMO, I think a stable strong athletics department grounded in a foundation of a strong football program is as important to a "P5" conference (which, if it wasn't for the $ I'd say we stay where we are at, eff the P5) as an OCS.  
That Tulane game was bad, real bad, but if you take that out of the picture and look at the season as a whole, unless of course you've jumped ship and haven't really watched the games which seems to be sort of a common thread on this "fan" board, this team is better, and getting better each week (mostly). I expect to see a huge bounce back tomorrow and sure, we might still lose but there is something jelling here and I hope Scott is given the chance to finalize the product. 

Probably more like 4 cents but whatevs. 

I agree with continuity. That's why I hate people who called for Leavitt's head. I was fine with 7-8 wins a year because he brought passion and every game felt winnable. 

Obviously we can't change the past, and here we are with Jeff Scott with a terrible team at the end of his second year. We have maybe 4 FBS caliber players with Weaver, Battie, and a couple LBs. We have a young freshman QB with potential, but is still the worst or near worst QB in the AAC at the moment. 

My question is why is that the best we have at the end of his year 2? Why does 1-9 Tulane make us look FCS? Where is the talent? Where is the recruiting? Transfers please? We have no secondary players from FLORIDA?? 

I get it, you want to be hopeful. Me too. This guy is probably not it.  I say check out this UCF game. If USF is even competitive, you can convince me it's a good move to keep him. If we get blown out by over 15-20 again, I don't think we can afford to keep him. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

I just don't see any progress, and the people that say they do are lying to themselves, or have dangerously low expectations. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

3 hours ago, cophbulls said:

So, I may as well throw in my two cents, everyone else is. You know what the main difference between USF Football and almost all the other sports in our department? Lack of continuity at the HC position, which seems to me, is directly related to success. 

Jose Fernandez - 20 years - His first three seasons - 25-57
Denise Schulte-Brown - 16 year - Her first two seasons - 14-20-4
Ken Eriksen has retired obvs. but he coached that softball team for 22 years
Billy Mohl is coming up on his 8th season with the baseball team, 5th as HC

All of the above have had success in their programs because there was stability. Stability breeds success not the other way around.

Scott, 2 whole seasons in and you guys want him fired. It's BS, I don't care who you bring in to coach, when you are starting from zero, in football, there is low probability you are going to have success in 2 years, especially when there was nothing there to start with. McClain is a effin Freshman and he is no *enter Heisman QB name here* but he has a **** ton of potential, for God's sake, give him some continuity and maybe he will be our next Matt Grothe. I say, not only keep Scott, give him a contract extension, show the team that the the administration is stabilizing the situation. IMO, I think a stable strong athletics department grounded in a foundation of a strong football program is as important to a "P5" conference (which, if it wasn't for the $ I'd say we stay where we are at, eff the P5) as an OCS.  
That Tulane game was bad, real bad, but if you take that out of the picture and look at the season as a whole, unless of course you've jumped ship and haven't really watched the games which seems to be sort of a common thread on this "fan" board, this team is better, and getting better each week (mostly). I expect to see a huge bounce back tomorrow and sure, we might still lose but there is something jelling here and I hope Scott is given the chance to finalize the product. 

Probably more like 4 cents but whatevs. 

I know we can’t fire him now and think it would be a bad idea anyways but my god we suck ass and to think otherwise is foolish, I am waiting for a Syracuse break out game but also realize our D is not good enough to have one, we have little talent and poor coaching.  Contract extension, we’re you joking??

1 hour ago, WhoRUSF said:

I just don't see any progress, and the people that say they do are lying to themselves, or have dangerously low expectations. 

Give him a multi year extension!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

They are either lying to themselves or they think if they keep saying it enough that they will eventually will the progress to happen. But no one can say with a straight face that any progress is being made within the program right now. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953

22 hours ago, USFRaider said:

They are either lying to themselves or they think if they keep saying it enough that they will eventually will the progress to happen. But no one can say with a straight face that any progress is being made within the program right now. 

Outside of NC state,  SMU, and Tulsa we didn't look HORRIBLE. We simply looked inconsistent and like we didn't play 4 quarters. Games last year felt like we we enjoyed the beating. Like we paid to be punished. Even at the end of Strong it felt like we got lucky when we won or we never truly stood a chance. 

I get that we're mad right now and we're hurting, but saying you see no progress is disingenuous.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

6 minutes ago, TromBull12 said:

Outside of NC state,  SMU, and Tulsa we didn't look HORRIBLE. 

Our last game against Tulane we looked worse than horrible, whatever that is.  We were down to a below average Florida team 35-3 at half at home, that is horrible in my book as well.  We suck the only debate is to what level, we sucked worse last year but only because we set the bar at our historic level of suckage.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,712

22 minutes ago, TromBull12 said:

Outside of NC state,  SMU, and Tulsa we didn't look HORRIBLE. We simply looked inconsistent and like we didn't play 4 quarters. Games last year felt like we we enjoyed the beating. Like we paid to be punished. Even at the end of Strong it felt like we got lucky when we won or we never truly stood a chance. 

I get that we're mad right now and we're hurting, but saying you see no progress is disingenuous.

Losing by 31 points to a 1-9 team is the definition of no progress. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

If they do, they should look at the coach at Kennesaw State University. He’s basically the Jim Leavitt of FCS, building a program from nothing, except he actually wins conference championships too.