• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott Post Game Presser ECU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

12 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Brad Scott is garbage and his son is a chip off the old block.

I hate to keep harping on Brad, but why is he in CJS hip pocket on the sideline?  Towards the end of game you could see him and Jeff talking and pointing and strategizing.  I thought he was just an administrative assistant setting up recruiting visits.  Apparently he’s on the sideline and actively communicating with his son at crucial points in the game.  If Jeff wasn’t ready to take this job by himself without his Dad then we should have never hired him.

Hiring the coaches father, who was a failed head coach himself, as Chief of Staff with very hazy job responsibilities doesn’t sit well with me.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I hate to keep harping on Brad, but why is he in CJS hip pocket on the sideline?  Towards the end of game you could see him and Jeff talking and pointing and strategizing.  I thought he was just an administrative assistant setting up recruiting visits.  Apparently he’s on the sideline and actively communicating with his son at crucial points in the game.  If Jeff wasn’t ready to take this job by himself without his Dad then we should have never hired him.

Hiring the coaches father, who was a failed head coach himself, as Chief of Staff with very hazy job responsibilities doesn’t sit well with me.  

This lands squarely on VPMK, we needed a quality hire and had money to do that and he hired Daddy’s boy that was a CO-offensive coordinator that was not calling the plays so was more like an OC asst.   The guy is in over his head, if you can’t recruit or coach then we are relegated to a win every other year.  Having trouble finding even a glimmer of hope for our future.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

Cincy's RB is a 4 star transfer from Alabama. They got a LB from michigan state. a WR from Arkansas. a WR from Notre Dame. a TE from Michigan State.

SMU built their program with transfers.

Again there are exceptions but to think we can build a whole defense on the portal is foolish. 35% of those players who enter the portal never play football again. The vast majority go to other P5 programs. We can pick up two or three players but that’s about it. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

35 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again there are exceptions but to think we can build a whole defense on the portal is foolish. 35% of those players who enter the portal never play football again. The vast majority go to other P5 programs. We can pick up two or three players but that’s about it. 

I heard Michigan State (i think) pulled something like 40 transfers... Obviously, as with recruits we aren't getting the same transfer options . Either way, crazy they are having so much success with that many transfers

11 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

I heard Michigan State (i think) pulled something like 40 transfers... Obviously, as with recruits we aren't getting the same transfer options . Either way, crazy they are having so much success with that many transfers

It really is. I suspect they used the “play right away” line, but they can leverage the fact they are P5. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

This lands squarely on VPMK, we needed a quality hire and had money to do that and he hired Daddy’s boy that was a CO-offensive coordinator that was not calling the plays so was more like an OC asst.   The guy is in over his head, if you can’t recruit or coach then we are relegated to a win every other year.  Having trouble finding even a glimmer of hope for our future.

Yup. Another bad hire. Not sure why our administration can never get it right. Scott is a clueless, gutless coach who I have 0 hope in turning us around. What sucks is we’ll have to start over, which mean another several years of mediocrity amidst conference realignment to top it off. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

read the article on 7-0 SMU . It's not an exception.

That's how he is building his team and he admits that it's how many programs are going to go. He says being in a hotbed of high school talent is a huge advantage to get kids that left for P4 programs that want to come home.

His starting QB transferred from Oklahoma. He also had a Georgia QB transfer. 4 TEs from P-4 programs transferred.

a quick look at his roster has 19 P4 transfers. That doesn't even consider juco's or lower level transfers. That's not an exception. That's how he is building his program.

gettyimages-1271262363-594x594-1.jpg

SMU Plunders Transfer Portal; SMU got the high school recruits it needed in December. The February signing day was to lock in transfers
site.png

The official 2021 Football Roster for the Southern Methodist University Mustangs

19 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

read the article on 7-0 SMU . It's not an exception.

That's how he is building his team and he admits that it's how many programs are going to go. He says being in a hotbed of high school talent is a huge advantage to get kids that left for P4 programs that want to come home.

His starting QB transferred from Oklahoma. He also had a Georgia QB transfer. 4 TEs from P-4 programs transferred.

a quick look at his roster has 19 P4 transfers. That doesn't even consider juco's or lower level transfers. That's not an exception. That's how he is building his program.

gettyimages-1271262363-594x594-1.jpg

SMU Plunders Transfer Portal; SMU got the high school recruits it needed in December. The February signing day was to lock in transfers
site.png

The official 2021 Football Roster for the Southern Methodist University Mustangs

Again to be clear, I did say there are exceptions and SMU has done well but just because it works there does not mean it will here. You still have to evaluate the talent. It seems everyone gets excited when a power five player wants to come then in reality they suck. We have had some hits but more misses. Portal talent must be evaluated the same way as high school talent. Can we stay away from the 35% of the players who enter the portal and never play again? Further, this is not a new idea. There are plenty of teams who want to take the same philosophy as Southern Methodist, so the competition is also high for the same players.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Weird... Mich St. Didn't run the ball up the middle on 4th and 1. They threw it and about got a touchdown.  They did score after that. Anyone have CJS twitter they can send him that play?

Edited by Sk00b

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

32 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again to be clear, I did say there are exceptions and SMU has done well but just because it works there does not mean it will here. You still have to evaluate the talent. It seems everyone gets excited when a power five player wants to come then in reality they suck. We have had some hits but more misses. Portal talent must be evaluated the same way as high school talent. Can we stay away from the 35% of the players who enter the portal and never play again? Further, this is not a new idea. There are plenty of teams who want to take the same philosophy as Southern Methodist, so the competition is also high for the same players.

Transfers can bust but I bet it's at the same or slightly lower rate than a high school player.

Sonny Dykes is taking former high level recruits that passed up SMU for a P4 school only to see their mistake and want to come home to play.

He's got transfers from nebraska, UF, Arkansas ,oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oregon, Auburn, Stanford, Baylor, etc.

These kids had all been evaluated and offered scholarships from much better programs. sure they might not have won a starting job but that doesn't mean they don't have talent.

Cincy's starting 4 star RB transferred from alabama. Guess where he went to high school? Armwood. Less than 10 miles from USF campus.

MVS, Rodney Adams, JPP, etc all transferred here. In fact I bet a majority of our players that have played in the NFL were transfers.