• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why Temple is a Must Win Game for USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, widerberg said:

I think you've gotta tell recruits/transfers "we suck right now, but with you here starting, I think we'll start winning." Some kids want to start right away and will see an opportunity. Some kinds want to make a difference.

I mean, 1-11, 2-10, 3-9, do those numbers really make a difference? South of a winning record, it all kinda looks the same. But, yeah, 1-11 is pretty ugly.

In terms of fans, I think it'll take a few years of 8 or 9 win seasons and a ton of positive media coverage before casuals start showing up again in big(ger) numbers. That sounds totally unrealistic, but look at our attendance numbers. It's depressing.

It's small improvement going from 1 win to 2 or 3...back to back 1 win seasons yikes. 

We definitely can sell to transfers come here and you start especially on defense. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good point but I would submit that it impacted some more than others. Those schools that had a prior coach who produced a drop in talent level were obviously more impacted. Not saying that gives Scott a complete pass but it did make things difficult…especially with players who were totally selfish and had to be run out of the program after last season. 

Yeah, also, I would submit that if it happened in year 5 of the coach it would have less impact.  Many of those players would know how to workout themselves.  But in Year one when there is so much change?  Not good timing at all. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

Yeah, also, I would submit that if it happened in year 5 of the coach it would have less impact.  Many of those players would know how to workout themselves.  But in Year one when there is so much change?  Not good timing at all. 

Good point Brad 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, Brad said:

I could see that. And with the team where it was/is after CCS, injuries, iffy assistant hires, etc., etc., it's kind of a smorgasbord of bad. Covid and limited contact certainly didn't help.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If ever there was a must win game in USF football history, this may be it. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,714
  • Days Won:  6

This is absolutely a must win game.  All we hear every week, is progress and getting close.  It is time to start winning, it is time to show you have the ability to beat an FBS team. Talk is cheap. Time to prove it on the field.  Must win, must win, must win!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,090
  • Days Won:  39

2 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

This is absolutely a must win game.  All we hear every week, is progress and getting close.  It is time to start winning, it is time to show you have the ability to beat an FBS team. Talk is cheap. Time to prove it on the field.  Must win, must win, must win!

I know some won't agree but what I saw in the 2nd half of the UF and BYU games make no sense to me compared to what happened in SMU and Tulsa.  I thought we would win those.  I am also not sure why Tulsa was suddenly making our QB run for his life when he had time in the pocket in other games. 

So one one hand I think we are good enough to be winning these games, but on the other I have no idea what is happening in this reality.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

This is the worst FBS team we play this year...we hear improving and I agree the talk is cheap time to show it on the field.  We play the game to win not play close. 

We need to win this game it could build some confidence and who knows maybe we manage another win or so with confidence. 

But losing this game I am afraid things will just totally spiral out of control.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

46 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

But losing this game I am afraid things will just totally spiral out of control.

Further?

I think we'll survive.  But it would be an advantageous time to win again.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,090
  • Days Won:  39

Can we get a Willie-style player dinner for advice to the coach?

• Upvote 1