• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

18 minutes ago, goingbackbull said:

Duke is NEVER going to the Big 12

Even if they wanted to go... Could they afford this giant GoR that FSU (and Clemson) are fighting?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  1

42 minutes ago, goingbackbull said:

Duke is NEVER going to the Big 12

Next they're going to ask Ohio State and Alabama if they want to join the conference, too. You know, just in case things don't work out.  

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I'm far from an expert on realignment. I'm intrigued but don't keep up with it as closely as others. That said, to understand realignment, I think you have to understand primarily two things: (1) how much money a university is bringing in and (2) how does it compare academically to its fellow conference members. 

Currently, I'm not sure how Duke ends up with more money in the Big 12, provided it enjoys a portion of any large exit fee/GoR settlement from departing members, and provided the conference TV and CFP money ends up being similar to what the Big 12 gets. And academically, Duke doesn't fit in with the (mostly) rabble in the Big 12. Nothing is impossible, but all signs point to Duke staying with Cal, Stanford, ND (at least, for now), Georgia Tech, and other AAU institutions (Miami, possibly USF later). 

Note that for FSU and Clemson, they don't necessarily see things this way. They care less about academics and more about money/access, which seems to be driving their current attempts to get out of the ACC. In fact, that's been their frustration all along - they care more about athletic success than the other denizens of the ACC, but all of the other teams benefit financially from them. But I suspect the president at Duke is more concerned about academics and fielding a strong basketball team and good, but not necessarily great, other teams.

Again, nothing is impossible, but that's my take on the Duke rumors.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

42 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I'm far from an expert on realignment. I'm intrigued but don't keep up with it as closely as others. That said, to understand realignment, I think you have to understand primarily two things: (1) how much money a university is bringing in and (2) how does it compare academically to its fellow conference members. 

Currently, I'm not sure how Duke ends up with more money in the Big 12, provided it enjoys a portion of any large exit fee/GoR settlement from departing members, and provided the conference TV and CFP money ends up being similar to what the Big 12 gets. And academically, Duke doesn't fit in with the (mostly) rabble in the Big 12. Nothing is impossible, but all signs point to Duke staying with Cal, Stanford, ND (at least, for now), Georgia Tech, and other AAU institutions (Miami, possibly USF later). 

Note that for FSU and Clemson, they don't necessarily see things this way. They care less about academics and more about money/access, which seems to be driving their current attempts to get out of the ACC. In fact, that's been their frustration all along - they care more about athletic success than the other denizens of the ACC, but all of the other teams benefit financially from them. But I suspect the president at Duke is more concerned about academics and fielding a strong basketball team and good, but not necessarily great, other teams.

Yea, I am more likely to believe Duke to the B1G

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

52 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Number 2 is no longer that important. When ( or if) the ACC falls apart it will look like a Mario party game where everyone is jumping over themselves to land on the last remaining log.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

Basically we should not be seeing any eastern ACC schools heading to a western conference. Maybe both ACC & Big 12 merge which would make more sense then having a few schools leave imo 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  411
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, TallyBull said:

It's just Twitter bros being Twitter bros. 

If Duke were to end up in the Big 12, it'd be for the same reason as the 4 corner schools. Essentially lateral money but their current conference took so many hits that it was bound to reduce its earnings. Survival is more important than aligning academics, that's when it goes out the window. But imo this only happens if it gets to that point. Duke (or Pitt, Louisville, etc) won't actively seek this out if the ACC after the first round of departures is still stable. 

My money is that it'll hold. Could still lose 1 or 2 beyond FSU, Clemson, and UNC. But that still leaves enough solid teams to either stay as is or backfill with 2 or so G5. What happened to the PAC 12 was a perfect storm of incompetence where multiple bad decisions in past years and a few in their final year caught up all at once.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  692
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, belgianbull said:

Number 2 is no longer that important. When ( or if) the ACC falls apart it will look like a Mario party game where everyone is jumping over themselves to land on the last remaining log.

Im personally more of a Mario Party bumper balls kind of guy 😂

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

Seriously, all the ACC & Big 12 needs to do is stop scheduling SEC/Big Ten schools and create their own playoffs. Matter of fact that is how I see things playing out eventually. Will have basically two separate leagues. One with big 10/SEC & the other with the rest which will be the majority of college football. 

Edited by Bull Matrix

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,621
  • Days Won:  25

All I care about is USF winning and eventually get out of the AAC.

• Upvote 3