• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

21 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

We don't even come close to the viewership that FSU brings, period.

Even in the Tampa market more than likely.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Wonder how hard MK is pushing USF to ACC before a FSU/Clemson departure?  ACC at 14 football schools.  Stanford and Cal would make it 16.  SMU 17.  USF 18. 

Tampa market, which I know FSU and Miami cover, but look at all the TX schools in Big 12.  Gets a foothold in state in case FSU and Miami bolt.

Endowment nearing $1B, which rivals some of the ACC schools. 

AAU.  

Decent prior record vs ACC schools....beat FSU, Clemson, Miami, ND, NC State, UNC, GT, Ville, Pitt.

to add, thinking USF would be largest student enrollment in ACC?

Edited by KB
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Just to put USF in perspective to other institution's' boosters. USF is #76 and this only includes public schools. 

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Just to put USF in perspective to other institution's' boosters. USF is #76 and this only includes public schools. 

We have some catching up to do, but most of those schools founded in the 1800's and have been playing sports since early 1900's.   

Would like to see that weighted for age of university/sports programs. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

23 minutes ago, KB said:

Decent prior record vs ACC schools....beat FSU, Clemson, Miami, ND, NC State, UNC, GT, Ville, Pitt.

and Cuse.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

26 minutes ago, KB said:

That would be 16 wins (37%) and 27 losses lifetime total against those teams, not all of which were during their respective ACC years.... FSU (1-3), MIAMI (1-5), PITT (3-7), etc.  We could probably leave that part out of the marketing brochure and be no worse off. UNC is 0-2 against USF, and 'cuse is 2-8 against USF. In basketball, we're 1-10 against 'cuse. My point being, that I'm not sure how historical records would sway the decision for an invite one way or the other, given the number of factors that weigh into the decision-making process. 

Edited by WoolyBully
text
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

25 minutes ago, KB said:

Wonder how hard MK is pushing USF to ACC before a FSU/Clemson departure?  ACC at 14 football schools.  Stanford and Cal would make it 16.  SMU 17.  USF 18. 

Tampa market, which I know FSU and Miami cover, but look at all the TX schools in Big 12.  Gets a foothold in state in case FSU and Miami bolt.

Endowment nearing $1B, which rivals some of the ACC schools. 

AAU.  

to add, thinking USF would be largest student enrollment in ACC?

I think you are thinking forward which is what I hope the ACC is doing as that will be a home run scenario for USF.

Good to see a WF fan onboard with S1!! 

29792991-106C-4F8E-80C4-38234FF67C45.png

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

12 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

I think you are thinking forward which is what I hope the ACC is doing as that will be a home run scenario for USF.

Nah, I think most conferences are thinking short term "What have you done for me lately" or "What can you give me now" to raise the profile of the conference and try to keep existing members, advertisers, and TV broadcasters happy. Good academics is a plus, but they're broadcasting our football games, not dissertations or institutional research. We've got to improve the product on the field ASAP to get those votes. When we got into the Big East, we were a football program on the rise and an OK educational institution with a "commuter school" tag. As we improved our academics (R1, Preeminent University Designation, AAU, etc.) our football took a downward turn and we got passed over when the ACC came calling, when the Big East dissolved, when the Big 12 expanded, etc. We've signaled a commitment to the football program by upgrading facilities and getting ready to break ground on an OCS, but we really crapped the bed by not doing it 15 years ago and having a losing record 8 out of the last 13 seasons and losing 42 out of our last 50 games.

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Even in the Tampa market more than likely.

Not if we are winning big like in 2007. So many TB peeps were on that USF bandwagon that it made me a nervous wreck.  Even the city was lit up in USF colors. TV ratings & attendance was amazing for USF during that short moment of bliss. 

4 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

Nah, I think most conferences are thinking short term "What have you done for me lately" or "What can you give me now" to raise the profile of the conference and try to keep existing members, advertisers, and TV broadcasters happy. Good academics is a plus, but they're broadcasting our football games, not dissertations or institutional research. We've got to improve the product on the field ASAP to get those votes. When we got into the Big East, we were a football program on the rise and an OK educational institution with a "commuter school" tag. As we improved our academics (R1, Preeminent University Designation, AAU, etc.) our football took a downward turn and we got passed over when the ACC came calling, when the Big East dissolved, when the Big 12 expanded, etc. We've signaled a commitment to the football program by upgrading facilities and getting ready to break ground on an OCS, but we really crapped the bed by not doing it 15 years ago and having a losing record 8 out of the last 13 seasons and losing 42 out of our last 50 games.

Which is why most of those conferences will probably eventually fall apart…