• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

31 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:
2 hours ago, TallyBull said:

Of course he doesn't name the schools (I'll let you deduce why) but if true (big if) I'd say they're the AAU schools in big cities and SMU: USF, Rice, Tulane, and SMU. Not sure how this could create leverage to get the AAC to vote to dissolve - I'd imagine that would require a 75% vote. 

Expand  

The point is that the PAC would take 8.  If four are on board to leave to the PAC, the AAC will be considerably weaker.  You offer the next four a life raft in the PAC conference, and you instantly have 8 votes to dissolve the AAC so there are no exit fees.

Big cities and AAU status.  Stanford is calling the shots and that is important to them.

Susana Harbert on Twitter: "For all the, "I'll believe it when I see it"  Cheers, my good friends! #txwx #ABIwx #Abilene https://t.co/4zEooYvFL4" / X

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

We got a free 3 months of Apple TV when my wife got her new iPad. Well worth watching. Trial is up later this month but now hooked on The Morning Show. May have to put up the $8 or whatever for another month.

they actually have a few great shows. HiJAck was fantastic too. We just finished it this week. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Are there 8 teams worth taking? I don’t see it. 

Agreed, I only see 6, 7 at most. Less teams, more money and room left for any ACC teams that may need a home. I think the PAC could sit at 10 for a year before grabbing a couple MWC teams. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

2 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

Susana Harbert on Twitter: "For all the, "I'll believe it when I see it"  Cheers, my good friends! #txwx #ABIwx #Abilene https://t.co/4zEooYvFL4" / X

Fair enough. Just passing along X rumors.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:
1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

I mean, I would get the subscription just for the season. I have also never seen Ted Lasso, so I could finally watch that as well.

We got a free 3 months of Apple TV when my wife got her new iPad. Well worth watching. Trial is up later this month but now hooked on The Morning Show. May have to put up the $8 or whatever for another month.

Got the AppleTV for free when I upgraded the theater.  There's some good stuff on there (particularly liked LassoShrinking and Prehistoric Planet).   But I'm not sure adding PAAC would be value added to me but I could maybe drop the Disney bundle, if my daughter lets me.

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

It's not clear to me that that would still be the case with a merged PAC/AAC, or even a rebuilt PAC with AAC teams. But I agree with you that it would suck if USF joined and I could only watch them on Apple TV streaming and never linear.

Would it suck so much if it also meant USF was in a P5 conference with a CFP autobid making $15-$20 m a year, while we improve our athletics program and hopefully get an invite from the ACC when FSU leaves? Nah. I'd buck up and deal with it.

Correct. Apple wanted the whole package because they didn't want a network to take, say, Oregon v Washington while getting AppleTV+ users stuck with Oregon State vs Arizona State.  Apple wanted to make sure they would get the best games -- to help drive subscribers.

The future is streaming... at some point (5? 10?) years from now we will have streaming services and over-the-air broadcasts as cable TV goes away.

Heck... even the Big Ten has a bunch of games only available on Peacock this fall.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

16 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

That still goes to whatever schools are left, I assume.  I don't see why disillusion would obviate those responsibilities that have already been established.

If the AAC votes to be dissolved, that would release the remaining schools from having to give exit fees.  Now, the threat to dissolve may be enough to give the remaining schools incentive to negotiate a small exit fee package and keeping the AAC branding, etc.

I keep seeing 8.

I have not found anything definitive. The closest that I came was an article that referenced the old Big East required two-thirds of the members to dissolve. Assuming that is the case, and assuming that WSU and Navy only get half a vote each, it would take at least 10 members to dissolve. I highly doubt the conference can be dissolved with just 8 member votes. It typically requires a super majority of at least 2/3rds if not 3/4ths. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

19 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Shrinking is a must watch. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

19 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Are there 8 teams worth taking? I don’t see it. 

It is easy to get to 6 or 7.  I can see a couple of reasons to bring in 8.

1. More teams means more stability.

2. Seems like it will be tough to pull other west schools for 2024, easier in 2025.  So you add 8 AAC schools now, bonus if you can dissolve the AAC at the same time.  But then you turn around in 2025 and add four more schools in the west and scheduling becomes much easier and much less expensive.  For example, for football you schedule 7 games in your division (east or west).  You get some cool cross country matchups, but not brutal.  Then with the non-football sports you do the same and save a ton on travel fees.