• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

27 minutes ago, Brad said:

Did your University invest tens of thousands of dollars into your clothing, tutoring, public image, residence, training and development and meals? 

Were you even academically valuable to the University?

I think it would be perfectly fair to strip scholarships and all the benefits and treat them just like you were treated. 

Or, treat them as only a player.  We're almost there.  Let them sign contracts like real professionals.

I'm completely against where major college football is going. I hope we are not a part of it.

They can pay their players. They can have free agency. They can be semi-pro leagues for all I care. I'm tired of the constant squeeze for more cash.

The fans pay to see the players though. Not the ADs or coaches or conference commissioners who can job hop all they want for millions of dollars. The players deserve a cut of the billions of dollars they are generating.

I hope the top conferences break off (big 10/SEC) and the remaining conferences make sensible rules.

Like perhaps giving players a stipend similar to being in a work-study program. Not all levels of college athletics have the same rules. Not all of us can go the semi-pro route.

Division 2 has different rules. Division 3 as well.

I don't believe we can play by the same rules as an alabama or Texas financially. I believe it will bankrupt us.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

I believe it is only two schools leaving the ACC for now.  Clemson & FSU. We will hear what the Clemson BOT meeting on Wednesday is all about. UNC  I heard announced their commitment to the ACC.  

I announced my commitment to my boss as well. Now when i get poached for a lot more money, here's my two weeks. See ya!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

One of the most interesting arguments I have seen suggested to break the ACC GOR stranglehold.   I don't believe it would work, at least under Florida law, but interesting nonetheless.

https%3A%2F%2Frubbingtherock.com%2Fwp-co
RUBBINGTHEROCK.COM

Several schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference (seven or eight depending on who you ask) have been dissatisfied with their status in the league, includin...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

14 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

The fans pay to see the players though. Not the ADs or coaches or conference commissioners who can job hop all they want for millions of dollars. The players deserve a cut of the billions of dollars they are generating.

This is a false argument.  I work for a Fortune 500 company whose CEO makes $24,000,000 annually.  Am I supposed to get some of that, just because I work there?

If having the benefit of a free education, seeing the country, being a "star" to others along with all the other benefits including a small shot at being avprofessional isn't enough, don't do it.  Don't play.  Be a student.  Everyone else has to make tough decisions.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

17 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Conference (avg) payouts in 2022 - 

B1G: $58.8MM

SEC: $49.9MM

B12: ~$43MM

ACC: $39.4MM

PAC: $37MM

The only way the B12 is poaching ACC schools is if two things happen - 1. FOX agrees to pro-rata for each of the schools. Going to 18/20 would mean an extra $85/$170MM per year in fees. And 2. The next B12 tv contract is at the very least, on par with the current deal, and probably needs to be significantly more payout per school. USCLA/OUT/OUW/FSU/CLEM aren't leaving their conferences over a $10-$20MM difference in yearly TV payouts, they are leaving for $30-40MM difference (B1G/SEC conference payouts projected at $70-80MM starting in 2024). A team moving from ACC -> B12 will be doing so for significantly less difference, increase their travel expense, and be downgrading academic relationships (even with addition of Utah/Zona/ASU/Colorado). If a team from the ACC joins the B12, it will not be until the B12 negotiates their next TV contract in 2030ish. A lot can change in the next 6-7 years. 

This assumes that the ACC teams don't look at the current state of affairs and decide to make the jump early. If FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia leave and the Big 12 is offering more money and stability than an ACC now in peril and losing arguably 3 of its highest values properties, the ACC's conference payout will definitely decrease. ESPN will not continue to pay a premium for what will be viewed as a drastically inferior product. Football drives about 80% of the conference media rights deals. There comes a point where you can't backfill an preserve value. Each AD/President/Board has to look out for the best interests of its own institution and not the interests of the ACC. You may end up being right, but if more than 2 teams depart the ACC, I expect that there will be a strong push by the Big 12 to take a few of the ACC's most valuable remaining assets. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  2

19 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Conference (avg) payouts in 2022 - 

B1G: $58.8MM

SEC: $49.9MM

B12: ~$43MM

ACC: $39.4MM

PAC: $37MM

The only way the B12 is poaching ACC schools is if two things happen - 1. FOX agrees to pro-rata for each of the schools. Going to 18/20 would mean an extra $85/$170MM per year in fees. And 2. The next B12 tv contract is at the very least, on par with the current deal, and probably needs to be significantly more payout per school. USCLA/OUT/OUW/FSU/CLEM aren't leaving their conferences over a $10-$20MM difference in yearly TV payouts, they are leaving for $30-40MM difference (B1G/SEC conference payouts projected at $70-80MM starting in 2024). A team moving from ACC -> B12 will be doing so for significantly less difference, increase their travel expense, and be downgrading academic relationships (even with addition of Utah/Zona/ASU/Colorado). If a team from the ACC joins the B12, it will not be until the B12 negotiates their next TV contract in 2030ish. A lot can change in the next 6-7 years. 

Great breakdown. Agreed on all points. Can't see the next Big 12 deal bring miles ahead of the ACC that it would prompt schools to jump.

I see it playing out more like the PAC 12 death. The top 4-6 ACC schools get poached by the Power 2, capping what the next ACC deal will be without them. The next middle batch, your Louisville and Pitt type schools will join the Big 12 just like the 4 corners did once it was the best option left. But otherwise their preference was to stay with their original conference.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Brad said:

This is a false argument.  I work for a Fortune 500 company whose CEO makes $24,000,000 annually.  Am I supposed to get some of that, just because I work there?

If having the benefit of a free education, seeing the country, being a "star" to others along with all the other benefits including a small shot at being avprofessional isn't enough, don't do it.  Don't play.  Be a student.  Everyone else has to make tough decisions.

so you work for free?

If you were valuable enough to your company you would get profit sharing or stock options same as the CEO.

what's funny is your thoughts are anti-capitalist. Mine are free market.

I'm not suggesting players make what coaches and athletic directors make only that they get a piece of the revenues they generate.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

ESPN has an S, and Satan begins with an S.  Coincidence?  🤔

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

If you were valuable enough to your company you would get profit sharing or stock options same as the CEO.

Technically that's not how that works.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Last comment (from me) since we're off track.  I don't pay to see the players.  I pay to see the team, to root for the University, not anyone single player.  I can't even name a third of them.  

I think we can agree that the real problem rests with those making the millions and the networks.  Their lust for money is contagious and has caught on to the players, their agents, families, NIL outlets, etc.  

It's a **** shame those pulling in the millions are not good stewards of amateur athletics and student-athletes.  

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

so you work for free?

This has nothing to do with your argument.  The players don't "play" for free.

Again, don't ask me questions as this is the wrong thread.  If you'd like I can move it somewhere else and we can go over this again.