• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

15 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

First of all, how dare you 😂

Man, I thought I was being witty and taking the piss

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Anyone think we may be headed for this...

5 20 team conferences, so 100 teams which means that 33 G5 teams are left out in the no dough cold initially.  12 team NC playoff for 5 champs plus 7 next highest ranked teams with no more than 4 teams from a single conference.  The 5th conference could actually be a relegation situation like soccer.  4 teams are demoted each year and 4 teams are promoted from the 33 teams based on some performance formula for the last 2 years.

Within each conference would be 4 5 team pods where each year you play the other 4 in your pod plus rotate the other 3 pods (every 3 years) so you play 9 conference games and 3 OOC every year.  The top 2 highest ranked teams that win their pod are in that conference's championship game.  Bowl structure, playoff and NY6 would remain virtually the same.

Just thinking out load.

Edited by 79 Bull

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

No. I am assuming that 100 is some arbitrary number. What does "5 20 team" conferences equate to? Why keep ACC, B1G, Big XII, PAC 12, & SEC? Why not just go with sixteen-team versions in the SEC, B1G, Big XII with no guarantee that all of the P5 participants are P5 in the future. I'm not talking about booting Vandy or Duke or Wake. Those teams are needed by the Heavy Lifters.

Basically, the top tier, which will have poached everything of value at x-point in time, just calls it a day and opens their own non-NFL (wink, wink) college football enterprise.? Why not just three conferences of 16 teams each. The top 48 teams is, just being honest in the non-alma mater sense of the word, E-NOUGH. When it comes to sharing revenue, you can go the 'bigger pie' route, or you can go the 'bigger slice' route. Wanna split the lottery winnings among 100 people or just two? Thats what I see as the driving force for realignment. Another day at the office and more spreadsheets...wanna go down to the cafeteria? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

10 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

No. I am assuming that 100 is some arbitrary number. What does "5 20 team" conferences equate to? Why keep ACC, B1G, Big XII, PAC 12, & SEC? Why not just go with sixteen-team versions in the SEC, B1G, Big XII with no guarantee that all of the P5 participants are P5 in the future. I'm not talking about booting Vandy or Duke or Wake. Those teams are needed by the Heavy Lifters.

Basically, the top tier, which will have poached everything of value at x-point in time, just calls it a day and opens their own non-NFL (wink, wink) college football enterprise.? Why not just three conferences of 16 teams each. The top 48 teams is, just being honest in the non-alma mater sense of the word, E-NOUGH. When it comes to sharing revenue, you can go the 'bigger pie' route, or you can go the 'bigger slice' route. Wanna split the lottery winnings among 100 people or just two? Thats what I see as the driving force for realignment. Another day at the office and more spreadsheets...wanna go down to the cafeteria? 

Money and greed with constant college realignment and  bigger NIL deals are going to kill and ruin college football eventually.  If you don't have lots of rich donors  that are diehard fans you have no chance with  the NIL the way it is currently set up.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, 79 Bull said:

Anyone think we may be headed for this...

5 20 team conferences, so 100 teams which means that 33 G5 teams are left out in the no dough cold initially.  12 team NC playoff for 5 champs plus 7 next highest ranked teams with no more than 4 teams from a single conference.  The 5th conference could actually be a relegation situation like soccer.  4 teams are demoted each year and 4 teams are promoted from the 33 teams based on some performance formula for the last 2 years.

Within each conference would be 4 5 team pods where each year you play the other 4 in your pod plus rotate the other 3 pods (every 3 years) so you play 9 conference games and 3 OOC every year.  The top 2 highest ranked teams that win their pod are in that conference's championship game.  Bowl structure, playoff and NY6 would remain virtually the same.

Just thinking out load.

5 x 20 is too clunky to work. The G5 conferences can't get bloated the same way the P5 can, especially if they're also geographically stretched. It was one of the reasons the 16 team WAC collapsed and the MWC core broke away. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Today could be another interesting day especially with FSU/ACC 

6 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

5 x 20 is too clunky to work. The G5 conferences can't get bloated the same way the P5 can, especially if they're also geographically stretched. It was one of the reasons the 16 team WAC collapsed and the MWC core broke away. 

Plus I don’t think they had the crazy TV money like they do today. We know have FSU upset that their now GOR deal can’t keep up with the rest or the power conferences. Maybe next time they will know to never agree to a GOR like that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

In the end the Big 10 and SEC will break off to form a league similar to any other pro sports league. There will be a North and South division.

There will be small market teams (ie Vandy, Duke, etc) and large market teams. They will share revenue similar to pro sports leagues.

The small market teams will almost never be able to compete.

The rest of the teams will be relegated to the minor leagues. I'm ok with that. I'd rather be at a lower level where we can win than at a higher level where we always lose (but bring in more revenue)

I'd bet if you asked the average WVU fan or most of the other former Big East teams if they'd rather be where they are now with the mediocre results and increased revenues or where they were when they were top 10 playing in huge games, they would pick the old Big East days in a heart beat.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Oh and it's interesting to see that this deal is largely predicated on subscription numbers. No more carriage fees to fatten the pot.

We will see most of these tv deals reworked either through bankruptcy or through equity swaps. Either way a lot of the $$ will disappear.

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Oh and it's interesting to see that this deal is largely predicated on subscription numbers. No more carriage fees to fatten the pot.

We will see most of these tv deals reworked either through bankruptcy or through equity swaps. Either way a lot of the $$ will disappear.

Yes, exactly!! I think the schools are left out of the P2 will eventually work together and hopefully create something better than the direction college sports have been heading. Until then I’m just going to continue to focus on USF. I don’t care who we are playing because in the end sports are supposed to be an escape from the realities of life. Go Bulls!!