• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

If I were a betting man,  here would be my assumption. 

#1 The Big 12 will expand to 14 teams.  It's clear that the SEC, ACC and Big 10 seem locked in at 14 teams and that appears to be the magic number. Since adding 2 or 4 teams of equal worth makes little difference, the value add to bringing in four teams is that these 4 new programs can obtain the benefit of Big 12 standing which will help them grow quicker from a recruiting, donation, prestige, etc standpoint. 

#2 I believe Houston will be in. While I'm sure the other Big 12 teams don't want to add another Texas school, the reality is that having them join the Pac 12 does more damage then keeping them in the Big 12. Why allow Houston to obtain the prestige of being a Big 5  team while offering students an opportunity  to play in a different conference (like A&M in the SEC). It's a big school with potential, might as well keep that revenue  in  house. 

#3 I honestly believe that USF AND UCF will get invited. I don't  care what Cincy, Colorado State, and Memphis  fans state, these are  the two schools with the biggest upside. Potential TV Market, Alumni Base, Recruiting Market. I think they can both make strong arguments. USF is now the #3 premier public university, has more research revenue, and is in a larger TV market. UCF has the largest school in the nation, an on-campus stadium, and a recent BCS bowl win (which appears to carry more weight than a 0 win season for some  reason). Regardless, both should be in if they go to 14. 

#4 Cincy. I don't like it. But they make an okay travel partner for WVU. They are solid at FB and BB. Have a nice on-campus  stadium. Decent TV market. Not sure the upside is as strong  as  Houston, USF, or UCF, but I think they get the nod. 

#5 BYU and Colorado State just make more sense for the Pac 12 eventually. Boise State is just too small of a market and it's just not going to happen for them. 

#6 UConn - Gotta feel bad for UConn if this is how it plays out. They deserve to be in a P5, but they might get squeezed out just based on location and dominoes not falling their way. 

#7 Memphis - I get that Memphis is a decent TV market and is closer in proximity. I get that BB has been stronger than Houston, USF, and UCF. But the academics are a non-starter. Not to mention  that Memphis has had a significant FB head start over USF and UCF and they have very little to show for it. The upside  just doesn't seem there to me. 

That's my two cents. Make it happen Judy!

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I think they will move east and it will be Cincy and USF if two.  If four... Cincy, USF, UCF, and another school.  I don't think it will be BYU because of the Sunday thing.  This is full membership.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

Since I don't have a forum to put my opinion on...

My beliefs: (four teams added) Cincy, EITHER BYU or UConn (E vs W skew), UCF, and EITHER USF or Memphis.  I know many may not like the order of things, but its just an outsider's perspective.  I believe like many here that UH isn't getting in, and they know already, hence why they are talking with PAC12.

What I THINK should happen: double down on the southeast (plus Cincy); Cincy, ECU, USF, UCF.  I know it won't happen of course, but I see merits when looking at it from a football perspective alone.  

edit: actually what I REALLY think should happen is ECU USF UCF and Tulane.  But that would take a major leap of faith on the part of the B12.

Edited by ECUshoein

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I'm actually very surprised the B12 decided to expand. Furthermore, I'm intrigued by the language being used on the criteria now, such as academic standing, etc. Before, it was all about bringing in the cash and not be "dilutive." And finally, for them to say 12 or 14 is really interesting because that means they've not made up their mind as to the exact scenario (of the teams being added).

Of course, that is if we can believe what we read. Parts of me wants to believe that they are interested in academics and all the rest. But the other part remembers all their quotes about money and not wanting to split the pie, etc. All of a sudden these greedy people have turned a new leaf? Right...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550

57 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I think they will move east and it will be Cincy and USF if two.  If four... Cincy, USF, UCF, and another school.  I don't think it will be BYU because of the Sunday thing.  This is full membership.  

If they add 2, it will not be an either/or of UCF or USF.

If you think so, explain the logic of adding Cinci to fix the WVU island problem, and at the same time creating an even further one with a school that has less history/tradition/fan support than WVU.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

If only 2 are added, no way we get in.

Their biggest thing is to find a wife for WV -that will be Cindy.

Then, they will probably pick another school near the rest. No USF in this scenario.

If they go with 4, it will be adding USF and ugly cousin ucf.

I think since they are talking 14 as a possibility, USF is in the picture. Actually, I like our chances.

17 minutes ago, TimBulla said:

If only 2 are added, no way we get in.

Their biggest thing is to find a wife for WV -that will be Cindy.

Then, they will probably pick another school near the rest. No USF in this scenario.

If they go with 4, it will be adding USF and ugly cousin ucf.

I think since they are talking 14 as a possibility, USF is in the picture. Actually, I like our chances.

I actually think they're going to 14 teams.  No need to wait for the inevitable.  I think they rip the bandaid off and just go 14.  If they are going to expand, why wait to have to do it again later when you can lock in the schools you'll likely target now anyway?  

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Dogma said:

If they add 2, it will not be an either/or of UCF or USF.

If you think so, explain the logic of adding Cinci to fix the WVU island problem, and at the same time creating an even further one with a school that has less history/tradition/fan support than WVU.

As I mentioned in a separate post... I think it's going to 14.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

I hope they decide next year. I know the Big 12 will look deeply into each team's potential and direction the programs are heading, but this is before USF's break out year. I would love to see expansion talks the year AFTER USF gets double digit wins. This is bad timing, and I hate to say that I don't like our chances in this. I would rather the Big 12 NOT expand, stay in the very competitive AAC, than roll the dice, and possibly be left behind into a very watered down AAC. At that point, there are no reasonable candidates the AAC can add to replace possibly losing who the Big 12 is looking at