• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

But we can speculate with an educational effort, what the Power 5 are looking for when considering expansion:

- Are we posting strong TV ratings for a G5?;

- Are we selling out or nearly selling out RJS?;

- Is an OCS being considered? (Regardless of what Miami does.) Note: The Sundome IMO needs no further revamps.

- Do we drive our market with a strong fan base?;

- How has our product on the field performed?;

- Have we shown we can compete in a P5 league recently?;

- Do we have a high student athlete graduation rate?;

- To the average college football fan, are we looked at as a winning (solid) program? Championships?;

- Are we well connected with any of the P5's?;

- Is our admin working behind the scenes?;

- I know I will catch some grieve for this but I have to ask. Do we honestly feel we deserve to be in a P5 at this point?

I'm am certain these questions are being evaluated, some more then others.

Edited by USF_Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Agree that 2007 is long past.  Conference realignment has not and will not be decided over any short term success or long term success.  No denying that UCF is in the media's eye.  That does not mean they have a better or worse chance at a conference than USF does.  just means that They have had success on the field the last two years.  Same as if they fall back to the middle of the pack, which is highly likely, given how much talent and experience has been lost this year, that their chances will diminish or ours improve based on the next year or two on the field.  Lots needs to happen with the conferences and the off the field, business stuff first. 

I don't see where one program really has a better chance over the other right now.  If they did things would have already been in motion. 

I really could care less what any blogger, or media person thinks.  When we start hearing from decision makers then I will care.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Legit news from a site called Fansided. That's the equivalent of one of us writing a pro USF piece with our green and gold glasses on.

Yes, Goldenbuc, we CAN tell you that unless it's from an official Big12 source, it's just another in a long line of people stepping up to the line to fling some crap and see how long it sticks. We will give you the fact that fan sites and some media sites (who are in no ways in any better touch with what could happen) write more about UCF, merely based on the football success, yet no one knows what is going to happen, and personally I don't see it happening anytime soon. If UCF goes 6-6 this year and USF goes 9-3, they'll start writing about USF and how their attendance made a big jump and the future is bright. They'll step foot on campus and then write pieces about how USF is beautiful and the coeds are smart and good looking (as are any coeds in every **** college in this state/the South), and how their academics are good, and how their research grants make other schools look like startups, and how their athletic facilities are actually top notch and just a few years old, ready to compete with other P5 programs, and their stadium isn't an OCS yet but can handle the crowds that come with larger P5 fanbases, yadda yadda. Flavor of the month.

But we can speculate with an educational effort, what the Power 5 are looking for when considering expansion:

- Are we posting strong TV ratings for a G5?; Meh, is UCF? TV is probably decent since people aren't going, they're at least tuning in.

- Are we selling out or nearly selling out RJS?; Not at this point. Is UCF selling out every game?

- Is an OCS being considered? (Regardless of what Miami does.) Note: The Sundome IMO needs no further revamps. It is constantly considered, but will be acted upon at the correct time considering location, budgets/etc.

- Do we drive our market with a strong fan base?; I'd say the fanbase is strong, just a bit dormant and unhappy...in football. it's there for other sports. Neither Tampa nor Orlando will ever be carried by their respective hometown universities, fact of life, deal with it.

- How has our product on the field performed?; Which field are you talking about? Football? Needs some life, asap. Other sports? I'd say that Learfield cup speaks for itself, USF across the board has solid athletics performance.

- Have we shown we can compete in a P5 league recently?; In other sports, yes. Football, again needs some help, but has proven it before and will again.

- Do we have a high student athlete graduation rate?; Seems to be improving, don't know all the stats to say.

- To the average college football fan, are we looked at as a winning (solid) program? Championships?; Do these always matter in realignment? No. Rutgers says hello. USF and UCF aren't even Boise State level of familiarity among casual fans. Is what it is.

- Are we well connected with any of the P5's?; I'd like to think we are, thanks to our Pres and AD, but I don't think this is a rare thing for most larger colleges to have "buddies".

- Is our admin working behind the scenes?; Probably. If people had clear answers to this, there'd never BE any stupid speculative realignment articles.

- I know I will catch some grieve for this but I have to ask. Do we honestly feel we deserve to be in a P5 at this point? I don't. Yet. UCF doesn't either. We're two big metropolitan schools with essentially a wash on athletics and academics pros and cons and offer the same benefits to the Big12 as we do to the AAC or the Pac12 or whatever.

I'm am certain these questions are being evaluated, some more then others.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The Big 12 wants an OCS? They play games in NFL stadiums.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

"By the way, the Big 12 is the only conference of the “power 5″ that does not have a school located in Florida."

Sounds like a UCF'er wrote that article.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

"By the way, the Big 12 is the only conference of the “power 5″ that does not have a school located in Florida."

LOL.  The Pac12 would snort at that remark.  

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

LOL.  The Pac12 would snort at that remark.  

big10 too

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Trip being realistic it doesn't look promising for us at this point. If you step away from the situation and look at it openly, you can't deny UCF is probably ahead of us for expansion.

Honestly, yes I can deny it because I don't have a clue what the criteria's going to be for this round of expansion, if there is one. I haven't seen a shred of credible evidence that would indicate they're ahead of us or Houston or Cincy or BYU. They may be but I try to deal in reality and there's nothing to support that at this point in time.

You know what we need to announce right about now to get USF in the thick of the convo don't you!!!!!!!

That we're going back to these uniforms ...

florida-state-wide-receiver-rod-owens-fu

• Upvote 1

This was just posted on Twitter... consider the source, of course:

@MHver3 m32 minutes ago

Ok. Contemplating coming back to Twitterverse. Large things brewing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@MHver3 10 minutes ago

Behind closed doors OU is threatening to leave if we don't expand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@MHver3 9 minutes ago

Grant of rights be damned

@MHver3 8 minutes ago

OK state be damned

@MHver3 7 minutes ago

OU wants a 12 team league and a CCG. Not as picky on who 11 and 12 would be as some would think

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

Wasn't ou against going to 12 after mizzouri and Nebraska left since they got left out of a title game a few years before where they were unbeaten going into the big 12 championship game but lost the game? I recall reading something about that and ou swearing they would never let the big 12 go back to 12 due to that very reason