• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls ranked #2 in fewest penalties

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I believe we are also ranked #1 in fewest FBS victories the last 2 seasons. 

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

We can always count on people finding a way to turn a positive thread into a negative one. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,271
  • Days Won:  255

7 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

We can always count on people finding a way to turn a positive thread into a negative one. 

It’s because objectively it is not positive and has absolutely nothing to do with winning 

• Downvote 1

I am sorry the facts do not care about your feelings @E.T.. I’ve done the analysis myself and here it is from someone else. There is absolutely no correlation between penalties and wins, nothing, zip, zero, zilch. So if a coach comes in and says that’s one of the things he is going to change to build a winning program he should be immediately disqualified from consideration because he clearly has no idea what the difference between winning and losing is.

https%3A%2F%2Fsaturdayblitz.com%2Fwp-con

College football teams who accrue more penalties and rack up that...

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

I don't mind good penalties and want guys that play on the edge fighting. What I would not like to see are the bad\undisciplined type.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,067
  • Days Won:  469

I'm all for penalties.  I remember people ******** about our past defenses under Leavitt that through over-aggression would pick up penalties.  We didn't have tackling problems.  However, there are penalties that have a critical impact such as a false start on 4th and goal from the 1.  Hate those.  So, if I had a choice to be winless without 150 yards in penalties or winless with 150 yards in penalties, I'll take the former.  Same for being undefeated.  I thought it was the usual cynical, Leavitt haters that kept pointing out penalties as a reason we could only win 8 or 9 games.  

I might have to read your single source.  As stated above, I am somewhere in between.  There have been games severely impacted by a single penalty.  But season over season analysis, it probably washes out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

FACT: Penalties are drive killers. :) 

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I don't mind good penalties and want guys that play on the edge fighting. What I would not like to see are the bad\undisciplined type.

Now a qualitative discussion of penalties I can definitely get behind. I don’t see what value a false start can bring to you but there are plenty of 15 yard penalties that I think are worth every yard and the easiest way to not be offsides is to not attack and be late off the snap and I don’t think either of those things are necessarily positive.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm all for penalties.  I remember people ******** about our past defenses under Leavitt that through over-aggression would pick up penalties.  We didn't have tackling problems.  However, there are penalties that have a critical impact such as a false start on 4th and goal from the 1.  Hate those.  So, if I had a choice to be winless without 150 yards in penalties or winless with 150 yards in penalties, I'll take the former.  Same for being undefeated.  I thought it was the usual cynical, Leavitt haters that kept pointing out penalties as a reason we could only win 8 or 9 games.  

I might have to read your single source.  As stated above, I am somewhere in between.  There have been games severely impacted by a single penalty.  But season over season analysis, it probably washes out.

I think penalties of aggression are at least evidence of aggression which I will take over being listless and penalty free, I too think a false start is inherently bad and only evidence of being unpolished while providing no value. The reason I did my analysis when I did it was because I remembered the argument that the penalties were bad under CJL but I also remembered that it seemed like we won a lot more.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

... There is absolutely no correlation between penalties and wins, nothing, zip, zero, zilch. ...

So do penalties have anything to do with losing?