• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense issues - scheme? personnel? coaching?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  12

We stopped Florida on that goal line stand. As has been mentioned, limited BYU scoring in 2h but is that because offense ate up the clock? 

It's a problem but hard to tell why. Injuries are my number 1 explanation right now. Tackling is number 1b. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,573
  • Days Won:  25

I think the problem is the talent,  size , strength,  and speed specifically on the defensive line and linebackers . We aren't really getting a lot of pressure on the quarterbacks . Our cornerbacks are getting burned 🔥 because the qb has all the time in the world to make the throw. We need better talent at every position on the defense. We are undersized and not exceptionally fast . So I think it comes to recruiting and developing defensive recruits .

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

I think the lack of depth on defense causing cautious practicing where they don't focus on tackling is an issue. BYU's RB was dragging our guys.

Besides DT every other defensive position has starters eligible to return. If they all do and we add a few portal guys on the dline and secondary we could have some decent depth with a lot of experience.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

11 hours ago, hm101 said:

We stopped Florida on that goal line stand. As has been mentioned, limited BYU scoring in 2h but is that because offense ate up the clock? 

It's a problem but hard to tell why. Injuries are my number 1 explanation right now. Tackling is number 1b. 

As I pointed out in the other post. BYU had the ball three times in second half and not once were they stopped by the defense. In fact it was the reason Scott tried the onside kick with 5 minutes left.

So yes BYU was held to 7 points because our offense kept their offense off 5he field

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

Dline is the root cause of this.. the talent gap is considerable compared to all other groups on the team...the coaching staff then tries to compensate and leaves guys on islands and big chunk plays occur...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

talent talent talent

i must believe they were taught how to tackle and they had many tackling

dbs need to learn not to let receivers get behind them