• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Updated roster is out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I'm going to hope that the D-Line players simply cut down on their body fat and improved their speed and power. The recent photos I've seen of the defensive players were great. Thad Magnum looks jacked as hell. Everybody looks more "athletic". I didn't see a lot of muscle tone last year. Either way, not a whole lot of bulk on this D-line. Only two legit 300Ib players, and a few come close. I'm happy that most of the DE's weigh 240 and up now. Last year our DEs were way too skinny. Stacy Kirby's weight loss is a bit surprising, but maybe he moved to DE from DT and is focusing on being a speed rusher. He had the most offers coming out of high school. More than anybody else our defensive line including the SEC transfer Stewart. I hope he lives up to his offer sheet. Weight gains I am the happiest of is Yates, Vaughn, Terrell, Camiel and most of all Stewart. This is what we have to work with. I hope they have enough speed and power to make up for the lack of size. 

De'Juan Sease (DT) 250 -> 290
Rashawn Yates (DE) 271 -> 280
Kevin Kegler (DT) 294 -> 303
Darrien Grant (DL) 254 -> 263
Tyrone Barber (DL) 265 -> 257
Blake Green (DT) 280 -> 276
Stacy Kirby (DT) 252 -> 230
Thad Mangum (DT) 285 -> 275
Kelvin Pinkney (DT) 315 -> 310
Jason Vaughn (DE) - 235 - 257
Jamari Stewart (DE) 205 -> 220
KEEON TERRELL (DE) - 220 -> 240
LE'VONTAE CAMIEL (DE) 225 -> 235

As weak as this group looks, I am more concerned about our LB’s.  Besides Boyles who is ok, we don’t have much to get excited about, Grier lost weight and is all guns and little else.  Bellamy is too short, the other guys are young and unproven and Mims is too slow.  Can you put a positive spin on this what appears to be a very lackluster and smallish group. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

7 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

As weak as this group looks, I am more concerned about our LB’s.  Besides Boyles who is ok, we don’t have much to get excited about, Grier lost weight and is all guns and little else.  Bellamy is too short, the other guys are young and unproven and Mims is too slow.  Can you put a positive spin on this what appears to be a very lackluster and smallish group. 

I’ve heard some say that Brian Norris has looked great in spring and fall camp.  Could be a wild card.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I’ve heard some say that Brian Norris has looked great in spring and fall camp.  Could be a wild card.

I have heard the same, maybe he can be a successful FB turned LB, seems like this has happened before 😀

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

I have heard the same, maybe he can be a successful FB turned LB, seems like this has happened before 😀

image.jpeg

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,548

5 hours ago, Friscobull said:

The linebackers CARRIED the defense last year. I'm not sure what you are so worried about. Grier is a speed player. Those 9Ibs Grier lost don't mean **** and he can always eat a burger or something. Have you ever seen him w/o pads? Buddy is ripped. Trust me, he will be ok. Boyles is a possible future draft pick. Bellamy is almost 230 Ibs now and played well from day one. Half of our LBs weight 230 and the others are around 220. This is the new age. LBs are smaller and faster than back in the day. A name to look put for is Amer Amer. Buddy is a true freshman bench pressing 325Ibs and hits hard as hell from what I seen on his footage. Let's look at it this way.....310 Ib DT Kelvin Pickney's bench press max was 330Ibs as a sophomore. I'm good with our linebackers. 

1. Antonio Grier          LB 6-1 213
  2. Davon Hicks           LB 6-0 218
  3. Dwayne Boyles      LB 6-3 228
  4. Demaurez Bellamy LB 5-10 228
  5. Mac Harris             LB 6-0 230
  6. Keyon Helton         LB 6-0 221
  7. Brian Norris           LB 6-2 225
  8. CJ Ross                 LB 5-11 211
  9. Jamal Nash            LB 6-0 226
  10. Randal Copeland   LB 6-0 212
  11. Amer Amer            LB 6-1 226
  12. Reggie Johnson II LB 6-0 212
  13. Andrew Mims        LB 6-1 222
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

To be fair we don't know what kind of hybrid positions coaches might have in mind for a guy. Maybe Grier will be playing some LB/S type role and in hindsight dropping a few pounds to fly around sideline to sideline will make sense. When coach talked about the "Bull Pounds" it was about positive weight gain/loss, so these weight losses that seem weird to us are intentional.

The daily stampede guys keep mentioning they've heard Brian Norris is a guy to watch in that linebackers room. Recruited as a RB so he's got some speed and a different perspective for reading the offense, and 6'2 225 is pretty good size to go along with it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

19 hours ago, usf97 said:

Gotta love this pic of Brock Nichols. Looks like he's about to run through a wall.....and then another. 

Nichols, Brock (H.20.Crazed)

I actually want to make a t-shrit with his this pic on it...bring it!  

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

11 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

The linebackers CARRIED the defense last year. I'm not sure what you are so worried about. Grier is a speed player. Those 9Ibs Grier lost don't mean **** and he can always eat a burger or something. Have you ever seen him w/o pads? Buddy is ripped. Trust me, he will be ok. Boyles is a possible future draft pick. Bellamy is almost 230 Ibs now and played well from day one. Half of our LBs weight 230 and the others are around 220. This is the new age. LBs are smaller and faster than back in the day. A name to look put for is Amer Amer. Buddy is a true freshman bench pressing 325Ibs and hits hard as hell from what I seen on his footage. Let's look at it this way.....310 Ib DT Kelvin Pickney's bench press max was 330Ibs as a sophomore. I'm good with our linebackers. 

1. Antonio Grier          LB 6-1 213
  2. Davon Hicks           LB 6-0 218
  3. Dwayne Boyles      LB 6-3 228
  4. Demaurez Bellamy LB 5-10 228
  5. Mac Harris             LB 6-0 230
  6. Keyon Helton         LB 6-0 221
  7. Brian Norris           LB 6-2 225
  8. CJ Ross                 LB 5-11 211
  9. Jamal Nash            LB 6-0 226
  10. Randal Copeland   LB 6-0 212
  11. Amer Amer            LB 6-1 226
  12. Reggie Johnson II LB 6-0 212
  13. Andrew Mims        LB 6-1 222

I'm actually far more confident I'm the two deep rotation at LB this year compared to last...DL I think pretty much everyone else agrees is the wildcard that could really hurt us throughout the year...

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484

18 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Grier was the best defensive player on the team last season. May not be saying much, but the D was better when he was playing for sure. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

7 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

Grier was the best defensive player on the team last season. May not be saying much, but the D was better when he was playing for sure. 

had as many sacks last year as our entire defensive line combined. 4 sacks the year before. Even at linebacker he's probably our most proven passrusher