• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFP Expanding to 12 Teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

1. Agreed, no G5 school will be getting a call up to P5 due to ease of use in getting to the playoffs and no G5 school is worth $27 Mil a year.

2. MWW with BYU, SDSU, and Boise would rival the AAC. Plus olympic sports cost would be minimized. What happened 7 years ago is irrelevant when it comes to BYU (even the AAC was willing to forgive Boise for leaving the BE without paying).

3. Their old tv deal was $4mil a year and it’s estimated that the current deal is $6.5 mil a year. That’s similar to current AAC level. Again, the problem here is olympic sports travel cost. If they try and put Olympic sports somewhere else they could have the same problem as Boise found. 

4. you are neglecting biases from the committee here. When there is a discussion about #12 who will the committee choose a PAC team or an AAC team. I think we both know the answer to that one. Further, the voting will be much different by the polls as well. Sure they may be an odd year that two G5 schools get in but probably around once every twenty years. Thus, the MWC, Sun Belt and the AAC will most always be fighting for that one spot. 

I still think BYU to the AAC is nothing but a pipe dream and will not happen. Again, more likely with the MWC. 

Two things I disagree with your post.

#1 No the MWC is NOT making 6.5 million a year. Their TV contract is shorter than the AAC and it is about 4 million a year.

#2 BYU will only join for football their other sports are currently in the WCC so they won’t be saving any money going into MWC

Here is the link to their new tv contract

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/mountain-west-conference-tv-rights-cbs-fox-sports

AAC 7 million a year

MWC 4 million a year

MAC 833k a year

CUSA 400k a year

SBC 125k a year

Edited by Cubanbull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Cubanbull said:

Two things I disagree with your post.

#1 No the MWC is NOT making 6.5 million a year. Their TV contract is shorter than the AAC and it is about 4 million a year.

#2 BYU will only join for football their other sports are currently in the WCC so they won’t be saving any money going into MWC

I was saying BYU makes $6.5 mil a year. They also keep all $ for bowl game payouts. Good point regarding the WCC…I assume the AAC would be fine with football. Time will tell with all of this. 

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I was saying BYU makes $6.5 mil a year. They also keep all $ for bowl game payouts. Good point regarding the WCC…I assume the AAC would be fine with football. Time will tell with all of this. 

But they aren’t making any Big Bowls so they aren’t making big money. Even as it is today the AAC gets about 1.5 million per team from CFP. BYU gets 300k. 
So even if they get 6.5 million in tv money, the AAC gets more at 7+. But the bigger point is that they will have access to the CFP that they won’t have as an Indy. Also even if they get to CFP as an Indy they get less than if they are a conference team. That applies to ND also

1 minute ago, Cubanbull said:

But they aren’t making any Big Bowls so they aren’t making big money. Even as it is today the AAC gets about 1.5 million per team from CFP. BYU gets 300k. 
So even if they get 6.5 million in tv money, the AAC gets more at 7+. But the bigger point is that they will have access to the CFP that they won’t have as an Indy. Also even if they get to CFP as an Indy they get less than if they are a conference team. That applies to ND also

Ok you broke me down Bull brother…let’s bring on BYU 🤘

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

LOL. Wish I had that much power. I think BYU and AAC will happen before CFP expands,mits best for both,

but we shall see time will tell.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Quitter ....... Don't see any great advantage, if BYU even wants to join a conference, with them going to the AAC over the MWC. And I still don't see any discerning value added to the AAC by bringing them on, especially now if the playoffs do expand.

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Quitter ....... Don't see any great advantage, if BYU even wants to join a conference, with them going to the AAC over the MWC. And I still don't see any discerning value added to the AAC by bringing them on, especially now if the playoffs do expand.

BYU is the only addition that because of its tradition and following could boost the league’s image and future tv contract deals.

The league loses its waiver after 2022, unless the NCAA ends the requirements to play a CG as either playing round robin in a league or division.

So really this is not just about the CFP playoffs expanding but taking the keague to a higher future. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409

In the last year before covid BYU averaged 60k fans a game, with half those home games coming off a 2-4 start. That same season AAC teams averaged 29k fans a game.

That was the 8th straight season they finished unranked too, so they have shown they get fan support even when they aren't on top. They would instantly be the biggest brand in the conference if they joined, thus immediately helping us in TV negotiations. If we can get them football only we should do that ASAP.

Edited by bulloni
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Triple B said:

More tv $