• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Game Discussion: Bulls vs. ECU (Jan 9) 1 pm TV: ESPN+

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Be careful what you wish for. CBG might not be doing as well as many on this board would like, but let’s take a look at what our school is at as a basketball program. Would we be attractive to anyone better? With our lack of support both in stands and in donations and with the basketball history and  the area for recruits I think CBG is doing well and if he can keep recruiting and get us to be among top of AAC on a yearly basis I would be happy.

I don't think anybody wants a coaching change at this point.  It would not make any sense to start all over again.  And I get the point from folks saying that you can't teach consistent play to the players. 

Its just that this is now Year 4 for CBG at USF, and the expectations (warranted or not) were pretty high.  Most people expected at least this being an NIT team.  7-5 (3-3) and inconsistent play by this team is a little disappointing.  There is still a lot of basketball to be played, so maybe we come together in the 2nd half of the season.  But I expect we are what we are, and will probably continue to see this inconsistent play the rest of the way.  And no, CBG is not all to blame.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Looking at the schedule remaining (before the conference tournament) we have a decent chance to win 8/9 of those games. That puts us at about 15 wins. Probably need to get 18 wins for the NIT. Thus, we need a few upsets going forward. It’s going to be close. I would call no NIT has  disappointing and I would rather not bother with any of the other non-ncaa tournaments. That being said it is nice that we are competitive as the 5th best team in the conference. But like I said earlier, at some point we will want more. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Looking at the schedule remaining (before the conference tournament) we have a decent chance to win 8/9 of those games. That puts us at about 15 wins. Probably need to get 18 wins for the NIT. Thus, we need a few upsets going forward. It’s going to be close. I would call no NIT has  disappointing and I would rather not bother with any of the other non-ncaa tournaments. That being said it is nice that we are competitive as the 5th best team in the conference. But like I said earlier, at some point we will want more. 

Personally I am looking forward to winning the Roaman again!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Personally I am looking forward to winning the Roaman again!

I'm feeling we just don't pull it off for the NIT, but hope I'm wrong.  Expect we'll be invited to defend our championship.

1 hour ago, 79 Bull said:

I'm feeling we just don't pull it off for the NIT, but hope I'm wrong.  Expect we'll be invited to defend our championship.

Good lord it’s not a tournament if you have to pay to get in...can’t believe you would want to defend that “championship.” It was fine as a one off a few years ago but doing it now seems embarrassing. Regardless, after the financial losses this year I suspect we can’t afford to pay for participation anyway. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good lord it’s not a tournament if you have to pay to get in...can’t believe you would want to defend that “championship.” 

By definition, it is a tournament but I get your point ...... also by definition, I guess it would be defending a title, but not in the traditional way ....... and if that's all we got available at the end of the year, I'm good .... just like to watch USF MBB, sometimes more than others.

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Well there is always the CBI!  We seem to like that tournament.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

By definition, it is a tournament but I get your point ...... also by definition, I guess it would be defending a title, but not in the traditional way ....... and if that's all we got available at the end of the year, I'm good .... just like to watch USF MBB, sometimes more than others.

They are not having that tournament this year anyways so the point will be moot.  NIT or bust baby

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
7 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

They are not having that tournament this year anyways so the point will be moot.  NIT or bust baby

We need a couple of big upsets like a Houston.  Also sweeping the Knats would be satisfying on its own.

12 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

We need a couple of big upsets like a Houston.  Also sweeping the Knats would be satisfying on its own.

Best chance for big upsets will be getting Hou and Memphis at home. Temple could be a sweep for us. Beating Cincy and ucf again will be tough but the prior team is at home at least. ECU has to be a win at home. Getting back at Tulsa and Wichita will be tough on the road. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull