• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Game Discussion: Bulls vs. ECU (Jan 9) 1 pm TV: ESPN+

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  138

Just now, CousinRicky said:

I hadn't noticed that on the plus. For the games on real TV believe you are correct. Usually the home team announcers do the plus broadcasts.

It is sort of interesting that they have Louk positioned away from the court though. That was news to me to be honest. Either I never noticed or just assumed something like that was probablytrue. But these guys are right down there - no masks--- and just sitting close. Makes you wonder what they know about not getting the virus.

Hope you enjoy watching today's game-- it was encouraging to see them making some nice shots etc. 

Personally-- I think these announcers are a little too invested in how important Murphy is as both a ball handler and as part of our offense. I mean-- sure-- he will get there and has moments where he looks incredible. But he is still a true freshman-- young and unpredictable.

anyway-- have fun. Catch you later.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

24 minutes ago, MikeG said:

It is sort of interesting that they have Louk positioned away from the court though. That was news to me to be honest. Either I never noticed or just assumed something like that was probablytrue. But these guys are right down there - no masks--- and just sitting close. Makes you wonder what they know about not getting the virus.

Hope you enjoy watching today's game-- it was encouraging to see them making some nice shots etc. 

Personally-- I think these announcers are a little too invested in how important Murphy is as both a ball handler and as part of our offense. I mean-- sure-- he will get there and has moments where he looks incredible. But he is still a true freshman-- young and unpredictable.

anyway-- have fun. Catch you later.

There was one game where they showed Jim and he mentioned how they can't get explanations from refs where they are. About 3:15 to go on replay. Stay well.

Guest Jonesy Bull
On 1/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, Friscobull said:

We are not a consistent team, Yetna has been disappointing which I attribute most of that to his recovery.  Collins may be hurt but has been inconsistent, Brown was terrible last game but overall about what we expected.  I think Castenada has improved, definitely in shooting.  Chaplin has been a nice surprise and has exceeded expectations.  I can see why Tchewa transferred, he needs some work but has potential. Durr is about what we expected, Murphy is gonna be lights out but makes freshman mistakes and turns it over too often. Luke Anderson is non existent and Williams is serviceable like we expected.  I once again had on my Bulls colored glasses and thought they would be better. I think the biggest reasons are Yetna is not Yetna, CBG has been underwhelming and Collins really has not become the force I was hoping, he plateaued and turns it over too much.  I am beginning to think Brybull was right all along on CBG. 

All very good points Frisco.

Yetna has certainly been disappointing.  Was afraid of that after that awful injury.  You never know if a player will fully recover and how they will respond from therapy.  

The concern about CBG is the most concerning, and I agree that we will don't fully know what we have with him.  We know that he can recruit pretty well, but his coaching abilities to this point = MEH.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,811
  • Days Won:  22

3 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

All very good points Frisco.

Yetna has certainly been disappointing.  Was afraid of that after that awful injury.  You never know if a player will fully recover and how they will respond from therapy.  

The concern about CBG is the most concerning, and I agree that we will don't fully know what we have with him.  We know that he can recruit pretty well, but his coaching abilities to this point = MEH.  

Be careful what you wish for. CBG might not be doing as well as many on this board would like, but let’s take a look at what our school is at as a basketball program. Would we be attractive to anyone better? With our lack of support both in stands and in donations and with the basketball history and  the area for recruits I think CBG is doing well and if he can keep recruiting and get us to be among top of AAC on a yearly basis I would be happy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

You can't coach a player's consistency and that's where our problem lies. Tulsa game, our 'foundation" players who averaged 31 pts/game scored 4 .... DC goes 3 straight halves scoring a total of 2 points and then explodes for 14 .... that's got nothing to do with coaching ability. To me, it's usually about the Jimmies and Joes rather than the X's and O's. Jury is definitely still out on CBG and I hope to hell he's the one but only time will tell.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Cubanbull said:

Be careful what you wish for. CBG might not be doing as well as many on this board would like, but let’s take a look at what our school is at as a basketball program. Would we be attractive to anyone better? With our lack of support both in stands and in donations and with the basketball history and  the area for recruits I think CBG is doing well and if he can keep recruiting and get us to be among top of AAC on a yearly basis I would be happy.

No shizz .... people piss and moan about the players inconsistencies, poor shooting, turnovers, etc. and then they complain about the coach who still has us competing game in and out.  We've improved over the course of each season and if we improve over the course of this one, then we will probably finish with a pretty decent record and quite possibly a NIT appearance (if there is a NIT).  People watch Duke play and expect us to be that.   In football they watch Bama or Cemson and expect that.    I mean he isn't perfect, but we're not perfect as a program and it sure as hell beats the previous clown.   A little realism could go a long way

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

4 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

No shizz .... people piss and moan about the players inconsistencies, poor shooting, turnovers, etc. and then they complain about the coach who still has us competing game in and out.  We've improved over the course of each season and if we improve over the course of this one, then we will probably finish with a pretty decent record and quite possibly a NIT appearance (if there is a NIT).  People watch Duke play and expect us to be that.   In football they watch Bama or Cemson and expect that.    I mean he isn't perfect, but we're not perfect as a program and it sure as hell beats the previous clown.   A little realism could go a long way

I don’t think anyone is calling for his head and I am pleased with watching a competitive team in a good conference.  With that said I think it not unreasonable to criticize him from time to time, not sure why you guys get bent if anyone says something negative about him.  I watch a lot of sports and realize the difference between the Duke’s and Baylor’s in BB, and the Bama and Clemsons in football, not sure anyone on here expects to ever be something like that however we still like to complain about out team, it is the American way.  

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  138

Like anything on this board or in any message forum-- the problem of one-ups-manship takes hold and small conversations balloon into unreasonable conclusions.

It happens (during good years)  when people try to keep outdoing each other about the teams prospects - especially true in football. What are we ranked? etc-- crazy talk based on nothing than the five previous posts extending the conversation into higher confidence.

Some people like to hear that echo chamber type of speak and good or bad-- you have to have the same tone to seem relevant.

For instance, I tend to try and keep my expectations in check--- our basketball team has moments where they look like they have incredible potential and others where they seem lost/confused/hopeless. Give it five minutes--- things change. Much of that as some eluded to is because of player consistency. It can be somewhat a coaching factor--- they can control the game, call a time out to right the ship so to speak. But usually it comes down to having leaders on the floor who exude the confidence the rest of the team feeds off of. Our leaders sometimes seem to disappear this season. 

• Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

32 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

With that said I think it not unreasonable to criticize him from time to time, not sure why you guys get bent if anyone says something negative about him.

As the head coach, he's responsible for everything so the bottom line is it's all his fault, so in that respect it's definitely reasonable to criticize . Problem I have is when his actual coaching abilities are questioned while I'm watching DC airball 2 straight 3's, numerous layups/gimme putbacks being missed and our charitable nature showing with the turnovers. If plays are there to be made but aren't, I just find it hard to focus the blame there on coaching ability ....